American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Aaron Rodgers stinking the place up here 1/8 so far Green Bay look all over the place on offense!

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2016, 07:17:56 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on January 10, 2016, 05:35:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2016, 05:07:31 PM
Running the ball was the right call.

Evidently.

Terrible execution doesn't change the fact it was the right play.

Running in that situation is one of the least risky plays possible - you're putting the rock directly in the hands of someone well used to doing exactly that play 20-30 times a game. The percentage chance of a recovered fumble in that situation is very low.

One first down and it was game over, indeed I know few coaches would wouldn't have done any differently or have done any differently when presented with a similar situation. The default play is run it for the first three plays in that position, hopefully gaining a first down and if not gaining a few yards for the resultant punt or FG attempt. Just because Hill made a f**k up you can't call it a bad play-call. That's the height of 20:20 wisdom after the fact.
I was flinching as soon as I saw Hill was running the ball into Steeler traffic(I had money on the Bengals) and thought something along the lines of "sssshhhhhhiiiiiiittttt". I don't think I'm just being wise after the event here. Hill had 5 fumbles last season and 3 this season before last night. Also Lewis has to know his player....... Is Hill the kind of guy who will wrap his 2 arms tight around the ball and guard it at all costs or will he be a bonehead and run with one hand on the ball into traffic?

Also as fox said, after Ben's injury, there was little threat from the Steelers offence and the field goal would have put them safe. Or to put it another way, imo the likelihood of the Steelers going down the field for a TD with a minute left and no time-outs was less than the likelihood of a turnover if you run the ball 3 times against a defence that's looking for a strip.

Even if the Bengals had missed the field goal, the Steelers would still need to go 45-50 yards in a minute with no timeouts. It's possible but I think kneeling down and kicking the field goal would have been the percentage play if (as Johnny Giles might say) you took the game on its own merits. If Ben hadn't been injured, then yeah, you probably run the ball and look for that first down.

Capt Pat

This was to be expected from Walsh. He has the habit of missing extra points as well. The Seahawks are lucky to escape with a win today. :'(

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2016, 10:25:49 PM
Aaron Rodgers stinking the place up here 1/8 so far Green Bay look all over the place on offense!

Not so much now
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RealSpiritof98

screenexile

Quote from: Minder on January 10, 2016, 11:19:43 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2016, 10:25:49 PM

Not so much now

Yeah scratch that... Seems to be the theme today Wilson struggled to get to grips with the Vikings defense but when he did it was lights out. Redskins need a score quickly I think to steady the ship.

tyroneman

Great to see Pac Man lose like this.

Earlier in season he pulled Amari Coopers helmet off and then proceeded to slam his head into it.

Karma for a cheap shot.

DrinkingHarp

Two hours till the National Championship in Phoenix

Hopefully Clemson can pull this off.

Clemson 26  Bama 24
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Syferus

Can't see Clemson scoring 26 on that defence.

Gabriel_Hurl

Well they've scored 24 with 10 minutes to go in the 4th.

Great game so far.

Onside kick  :o

Holy shit - the Tide go ahead on busted coverage

Gabriel_Hurl

Wow wow wow wow wow - 94 yard kickoff return TD

heganboy

Touchdown my arse. "Theres the spin.." Nope ball didnt cross. There was no TD.

Holy crap. Why can they not find officials?

Bama have been great but thats nonsense

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Which TD? The last Bama one?

Pretty obvious that  Henry broke the plane when he spun.

cadhlancian

Wise up FFS! The ball clearly broke the goal line... :o

heganboy

First up- Bama were good value for the win, well managed through the game, though Clemson should be kicking themselves as they had a great shot, but for the runback and the onside recovery bad mistakes on their behalf. And 2 TDs they gave up were blown coverage. Fatal errors at this level

on the other hand, I don't believe Henry broke the line on the last td (and why did it take 20 seconds for the on the field ruling to come?) I do not believe the evidence was incontrovertible the other way, and take another look at the pylon cam shot from the previous TD. It looked to me (and a couple of Obama fans in the room) as if his left hand is down OB before he touched the pylon with the ball in his right (pause it and see!). the Roll tide crew say it wouldn't matter 'Bama would have made the next play both times and I tend to agree. Clemson fans maybe not so much...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity