American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Bengals now for the right to play the Broncos. Chargers have no fear of Denver.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Absolutely gutted for da Bears last night. Really should not have lost that game. The ridiculous "fumble TD". Conte letting the ball go through his arms on the last drive when even knocking it down won the game. Conte totally blowing coverage on that final play. Crucial mistakes that cost which was a shame as the defense played reasonably (relative to how bad they've been - Briggs back close to game speed was a major factor here) and after a stuttering first half the offense destroyed GB in the second. Forte was not deserving of being on the losing team.

Some of the officiating was curious to say the least. The media darling Rodgers feigning injury to get a 15 yard penalty instead of a sack. Surely Kuhn's chop block on Peppers at the end was not legal either?

Funny that last season da Bears finished 10-6 and the coach got fired. No talk of that this time. Trestman has installed a really good offense. Injuries crippled the defense and the backups were too raw to even manage a damage limitation exercise. You have to expect injuries but if Briggs, Tilman and Melton had been there all season....

Last offseason they fixed the o-line admirably. The secondary and d-line need surgery this year. I'd keep Cutler but wouldn't break the bank for him. A short, heavily incentivised deal should be the approach. Would be great to keep McCown around also if possible. Need Briggs to tutor the young LB's Bostic and Greene who are good athletes but got caught out many times.

Oraisteach

Night of the Long Axes for Five NFL Coaches (Five . . . so far)

Mike Shanahan (Washington)
Greg Schiano (Tampa Bay)
Leslie Frazier (Minnesota)
Jim Schwartz (Detroit)
Rob Chudzinski (Cleveland)

None of these surprise me except Chud.  Shanahan in perpetual head-butting match with owner.  Schiano had a decent enough team, but he seemed like a real head-the-ball, never mind the outbreak of MRSA in the locker room.  Frazier just couln't get the QB situation settled, and Schwartz had a team well able to win their division but . . . . But Chud gets one year and done.  Has no running game, has QBs go down left right and center.  Surely a coach needs more than one year.  So what's that? Four coaches in six years in Cleveland. Pittsburgh's has had three since 1969,  Who in their right mind would take the Browns' job with that sort of job security? So once more Cleveland's SuperBowl will be the NFL draft.  Such a beleaguered franchise and such a trod-upon fan base.

tyroneman

Quote from: Oraisteach on December 30, 2013, 09:46:31 PM
Night of the Long Axes for Five NFL Coaches (Five . . . so far)

Mike Shanahan (Washington)
Greg Schiano (Tampa Bay)
Leslie Frazier (Minnesota)
Jim Schwartz (Detroit)
Rob Chudzinski (Cleveland)

None of these surprise me except Chud.  Shanahan in perpetual head-butting match with owner.  Schiano had a decent enough team, but he seemed like a real head-the-ball, never mind the outbreak of MRSA in the locker room.  Frazier just couln't get the QB situation settled, and Schwartz had a team well able to win their division but . . . . But Chud gets one year and done.  Has no running game, has QBs go down left right and center.  Surely a coach needs more than one year.  So what's that? Four coaches in six years in Cleveland. Pittsburgh's has had three since 1969,  Who in their right mind would take the Browns' job with that sort of job security? So once more Cleveland's SuperBowl will be the NFL draft.  Such a beleaguered franchise and such a trod-upon fan base.
[/b]

You wanna try supporting the Raiders....... :-\

magpie seanie

I agree Oraisteach. I don't think Chudzinski should have been fired. I assume he had a lot of say in the Trent Richardson heist and he deserved the chance to use the picks the draft and see what he could do. The Browns were not that bad this season, a small improvement could have a massive impact in results.

Have a little sympathy for Frazier. He worked a complete miracle (ok, maybe it was the purple Jesus' miracle) to make the playoffs last year. The move for Freeman and then playing him too early anyway was terrible, granted.

Oraisteach

Sugar Bowl

Oklahoma 45  Alabama 31

Sooners sack QB McCarron seven times.  Terrific game.

Syferus

McCarron's Bama career ends with a fumble returned for a TD, Sooners win 45-31 in the Sugar Bowl.

Great game but it always felt like a strange shift by the Tide, flirting with good defence only to give huge yardage on third downs and far too many predictable screens to Cooper made the Sooners' job a lot easier on defence too. You have perhaps the best QB in Tide history and you reduce him to flinging dump-offs like a freshman starter? There was pressure but not all the time.

Saban's Bama have always had trouble working themselves up for non-title bowl games, I guess they just are built to win the big one or nothing at all.

Oraisteach

Game reminded me a little of the Auburn defeat.  Chinks in the 'Bama armor when having to cope with the hurry-up offence.

tyroneman

Bama will be back next year. It's the big one or nothing for those guys.

Not sure AJ will make that big an impact with the pros

TabClear

One of the best weekednd of the year sport wise coming up with Wildcard weekend.

Usually throws up at least one shock and this year  I can see San Diego turning over the Bengals. Dalton still has to prove it on nthe big stage and is prone to making mistakes that the elite QBs simply will not do. SD will be up for it and may think its their  year after they somehow made it through last week!

New Orleans to beat Philly comfortably with Brees starring and Kansas to beat Indy in the battle of the #1 picks. Kansas will be well rested after last weekend and Smith simply looks after the ball to well. (Cue about 6 picks!).

The 49ers at the Pack is hard to call. On form it is the 49ers all day long,and I think they are the best overall team in the Conference but Seattle having Home field advantage is huge, they would be my pick to come out of the NFC but the Rodgers factor means you cannot write Greenbay off.  Remember 2010!!

Need to go and clear some space on the Sky+

magpie seanie

Hope the niners hammer lucky Green Bay and can't see it happening any other way. 49ers defense is a different story that even last weeks improved Bears D. Rodgers will be less rusty but he will be sacked at least 5 times and we'll see how the collarbone is then. GB's defense is terrible and won't be able to stop Kaepernick. They better hope for high winds along with freezing conditions to keep this close.

I think Philadelphia have a right good chance of beating New Orleans, especially if they can keep pace or get ahead early. NO are only average on the road.

Don't think the Bengals will slip up at home but the Chargers are dangerous and will have nothing to lose.

I think the Chiefs will take the Colts also. Not convinced that Indy have enough overall and KC looks a well balanced outfit overall. Charles is a difference maker.

TabClear

you have to fancy the niners but Rodgers is one of the best in the business at getting rid of the ball quickly. I don't seehim getting caught to often. Matthews is a massive loss though.

Muck Savage

It will be the cold that could do in the Niners. The game will be played in about -20C and apparently Green Bay have still about 5K tickets available, this for a that has sold out all home games since 1960 and has ~90K people on a waiting list for season tickets! The local companies in the area have bought up enough tickets to ensure its not blacked out due to stupid TV rules. So it will be fair cold if the fans are staying away!
Chargers to beat Cincy
Indi to beat the KC
Philly to win also at home.

Syferus

Quote from: Muck Savage on January 04, 2014, 04:03:22 PM
It will be the cold that could do in the Niners. The game will be played in about -20C and apparently Green Bay have still about 5K tickets available, this for a that has sold out all home games since 1960 and has ~90K people on a waiting list for season tickets! The local companies in the area have bought up enough tickets to ensure its not blacked out due to stupid TV rules. So it will be fair cold if the fans are staying away!
Chargers to beat Cincy
Indi to beat the KC
Philly to win also at home.

The chance to see a new Ice Bowl? Packer fans are well used to the cold so any with tickets will attend - it's hard enough to get tickets to attend the Frozen Thundra for any game. The unsolds that those corps were giving away might end up with some empty seats, though.