Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: johnneycool on December 14, 2010, 10:17:51 AM
be careful what you wish for!!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/25901/
I spotted that. It had an 'inflatable' roof. Surely that could be a much more affordable option to a rigid structure?

armaghniac

QuoteI spotted that. It had an 'inflatable' roof.

A roof is only effective if the shower aren't inside it, mostly likely acting as stewards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

aontroim

Has funding for Casement now been approved following Sammy's budget speech?

ziggysego

Quote from: aontroim on December 15, 2010, 02:09:13 PM
Has funding for Casement now been approved following Sammy's budget speech?

He just said that Stadia Projects have got the go-ahead. No details.
Testing Accessibility

The Worker

Hopefully this work will be started in the next 12 months!

would be great to see a bit of construction work in the city!!

snatter

http://www.antrimgaa.net/news/details/?id=2776

ULSTER COUNCIL GAA
Comhairle Uladh CLG

PRESS RELEASE

The Ulster Council GAA welcomes the draft budget statement made on Wednesday by the Minister for Finance and Personnel which includes a commitment by the Executive for a capital envelope for regional sports stadia development. This underlines the existing commitment made by the First Minister and Deputy First Minister on the 8th April 2009 to meet the strategic needs of the three largest governing bodies of sport, namely Ulster GAA, IFA and Ulster Rugby.
Ulster GAA now looks forward to the conclusion of the draft budget consultation process and are hopeful of a positive response regarding regional stadia development funding so that Ulster GAA Stadium Project Board  can progress with its plans for the redevelopment of Casement Park Stadium in Belfast.

Ulster Council GAA aims to meet its strategic requirements first indentified in the GAA's "Enhancing Community Identity Report" in 2002 by providing a stadium of 40,000 capacity  that will be  an all seated stadium.

The President of Ulster Council GAA, Aogan O Fearghail commenting on the budget announcement said:

"The Ulster Council is pleased that after several years of work by the Stadium Project Board led by both Tom Daly as Chairman and Danny Murphy as Provincial Director, we now have a reasonable level of commitment around the future funding for the Casement Park project due to the announcement made in yesterday's draft budget statement.

The redevelopment of Casement Park will have major economic, regeneration and social benefits for the entire community. Sport makes a strong social and economic contribution to society in areas such as the promotion of tourism, health and wellbeing, community development, social capital and cohesion and contribute to good relations. This project is another example of the positive role that sport has to play in the wider community. It is envisaged that the overall project costs for the Casement Park redevelopment will be in the region of £100m with significant investment coming from both the GAA and Government. 

I am grateful to all of those who have made a contribution to this ongoing process and would highlight the continuing input from officials of both the Antrim County Committee GAA and the Central Council GAA who have been supporting the Ulster Council  in this project.

I recognise the work undertaken by government officials, bodies and departments in this process, namely OFMDFM (Office of the First Minister and deputy First Minister) Strategic Investment Board, Department of Culture Arts and Leisure and Sport NI. I would also thank the many consultants and advisers who have provided support in this initial stage of the  process: Gilroy McMahon Architects (Des McMahon and Deirdre Lennon), Peter Quinn Consultancy Services (Barry McGurgan), Cunnane Stratton Reynolds (Eamonn Prenter) and Sammon Surveyors (Brian Conway).   

The Stadium Project Board  will now continue its planning and consultation work alongside the three stadium sub-groups namely: Finance and Business Planning subgroup, Planning, Design and Development sub-group and Community Relations and Public Relations sub-group" and we look forward to the completion of the budget consultation process and the approval of the Assembly's budget 2011-2015 in February 2011".

SLIGONIAN

Best of luck with this development, some dosh, great for GAA, and Ulster and Antrim and Belfast ecomony. Look forward to visiting it someday.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

tbrick18

What's the current capacity of Casement?

I'm in no way begrudging of it, in fact its good to see investment. The only issue I have is that of traffic. The area cant handle the traffic currently on the occassion of a big match. How will they cope with increased capacity?
there is also the risk that unless there is a near capacity crowd, the atmosphere is dull...
All that being said, I hope it all comes off I just hope there's a bit of forward planning for traffic control.

Slicker

Would be great to see this stadium get the go ahead and provide a different option for big games in the futre.

ziggysego

Would under pitch heating be including? After the delayed games this winter, I'm sure no-one would want a repeat of this in the future.
Testing Accessibility

StGallsGAA

Under-soil heating doesn't remove the risk factor for travelling fans which should always be the primary concern, as opposed to the playing surface.

ziggysego

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 21, 2010, 12:53:20 PM
Under-soil heating doesn't remove the risk factor for travelling fans which should always be the primary concern, as opposed to the playing surface.

You can't please all of the people, all of the time. Anyway, it would be more dangerous driving to Clones on them wee back roads.
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Clones, Casement and all of the other big grounds primarily cater for 'summer' games. This weather will impact on very few games in the GAA calendar.

ziggysego

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2010, 03:16:53 PM
Clones, Casement and all of the other big grounds primarily cater for 'summer' games. This weather will impact on very few games in the GAA calendar.

Ulster Club Finals.
Testing Accessibility