Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2013, 02:23:24 PM

I would venture to suggest that there's no site outwith West Belfast, that would be safe for the construction of a major GAA stadium in the City. Incidentally to-day's Irish News reports suggest that residents would be happy to let the Casement development proceed subject to them receiving £20k each in terms of compensation

Quote from: snatter on September 25, 2013, 04:13:51 PM

Has anyone allegedly offered the residents 20k, or is this
a. some residents chancing their arm, or
b. an attempt to smear the residents

Well done T Fearon for highlighting how something can be put into the public domain without any facts involved but gives leeway to an agenda - hence your very careful use of the word suggest.

Well done snatter for asking the relevant question in relation to this.

Is this the start of a campaign to publicly slur the residents through newspapers and radio as a deflection from the Iconic Monstrosity cash cow with demeaning claims against the people of West Belfast themselves?

Could be but we'll all wait and see.

Hopefully the Ulster Council may be able to rise above grubbing about the floor with your man talking about it being 'overcast today' on the radio on Tuesday in relation to discussions about rights to light.

drici

Oh aye,

- apparently this story about the 20,000 smackeroonies was in 'The Sun' - (yes the  'paper' of the 'Falls Road Fenians' quote) on Monday with the story that one resident had put in a claim for that amount of compensation (apparently he is a very old man who has no grandchildren and says that his garden is of little use to him now - but no matter - he has a legal right to put in for the same)  but by Tuesday the Irish News felt able to put in their paper 'some residents.'

Yes - 'The Sun' carrying a story about no sun.

Ah Bernadette.

Applesisapples

Quote from: drici on September 26, 2013, 02:14:52 AM
Oh aye,

- apparently this story about the 20,000 smackeroonies was in 'The Sun' - (yes the  'paper' of the 'Falls Road Fenians' quote) on Monday with the story that one resident had put in a claim for that amount of compensation (apparently he is a very old man who has no grandchildren and says that his garden is of little use to him now - but no matter - he has a legal right to put in for the same)  but by Tuesday the Irish News felt able to put in their paper 'some residents.'

Yes - 'The Sun' carrying a story about no sun.

Ah Bernadette.
Tony, not quite, what the article reports is that John Crossey" is not aware of individuals reportedly willing to stop opposition for £20k".

Walter Cronc

Hardstation. What is the residents stance on the capacity/design/height etc??

Have they given a ball park figure in terms of capacity?

I still believe a single tier is the answer. Anyone who knows anything about noise/acoustics will know a single tier improves atmosphere!!

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on September 26, 2013, 10:28:35 AM
I certainly believe that there has been a clear and deliberate misrepresentation of one side of this arguement from certain journalist quarters over this last week.

Now, everybody is fully entitled to their opinion on this and can sit on whichever side of this particular fence they wish (I don't deny there are good arguements to be had on both sides) but the publication of false information in an attempt to discredit the other side is completely pathetic.

It might be pathetic alright. But isn't that how the GAA works ?

If the top table want something, they'll get ot by fair means or foul.

That was always the case - always will be. You can expect more of the same until this project is completed.

Residents will get looked after before it's all over.

rrhf

Quote from: hardstation on September 26, 2013, 10:37:00 AM
I haven't been speaking to any of them for a few of days so I'm unsure of any developments but the last I heard was that they have asked for it to be sunk 7 or 8 metres and asked DCAL to provide them with the cost of doing so. I don't think they have heard anything yet.
This place aint Pisa ye know.

rrhf

drici

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM
Jarlath Burns' article from this weeks Gaelic Life. Discuss!!

This left us totally entitled to our share of the cake when it would be divided out along the inevitable sectarian/sporting lines.

This is horrible and totally wrong.
A sectarian stadium - only going by the quote above -  but people from outside Belfast have decided to cast a large close-knit community into darkness when they have a choice of sinking the pitch - so the height of the new grandstands comply with the same distance away from the houses and the same height as the only grandstand which currently is there now which the people of the area would be supportive of - and also at the same time as there is a large recently opened shopping centre in the very centre of Belfast which is below sea level because it has been sunk - but on the higher levels of Andersonstown where it would be such much easier to do so - there seems no wish on the part of these
Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2013, 05:20:35 PM
opportunists 
to do so.
GAA people from outside Béal Feirsde seem to want(and it is an appearance - also read back on this thread) to 'sicken the Planters' by throwing people from West Belfast into coldness and darkness so they can milk their iconic and now - given the above article -  'sectarian' monstrosity major cash cow.
Cruel - Wrong - Morally- Intellectually - whatever words are on the go now.
This is evil.
You cannot justify doing this to people.
People are real - not how many hamburgers at 4 quid and pints at 5 quid and 'sure look at the fortune we're makin' out of them eejits.'
Back off and do the right thing.
Unbelievable.
Do not do this to a community.
Do not do this to real people.
It is wrong.
Sectarianism under any guise is wrong.
Wrong Wrong Wrong
Do not hurt people.
It is wrong.
The whole concept of what is and has been put forward is wrong.
The forces of darkness in this case are wrong - why do they pursue?

SkillfulBill

Time for the Ulster Council to cop themselves on and realise that they will never be able to develop a stadium in Anderstown without spending enormous time energy and resources on planning issues and a PR disaster to boot. Time to look elsewhere. Belfast is to much of a tinder box of secterianism and no matter where in Belfast outside of the West Belfast you will encounter objections and obstacles which will be put in place. Casement Park is a dead duck get it up the M1 to Dungannon, (I hear Ann Street is up for Sale by the Banks) were it should have been in the first place to service the needs of Ulster and not for soothing the egos of a few members of the Ulster Council.

snatter

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 30, 2013, 09:13:15 AM
Time for the Ulster Council to cop themselves on and realise that they will never be able to develop a stadium in Anderstown without spending enormous time energy and resources on planning issues and a PR disaster to boot. Time to look elsewhere. Belfast is to much of a tinder box of secterianism and no matter where in Belfast outside of the West Belfast you will encounter objections and obstacles which will be put in place. Casement Park is a dead duck get it up the M1 to Dungannon, (I hear Ann Street is up for Sale by the Banks) were it should have been in the first place to service the needs of Ulster and not for soothing the egos of a few members of the Ulster Council.

I still think that any new stadium should be in Belfast, to
1. Increase the GAA's profile.
2. Maximise income from holding events such as concerts and conferences

A bigger site, somewhere in Greater Belfast could and should be found.

If Belfast wants the benefits a 40k fully covered stadium can bring, it should stump up some of the cost, eg by gifting a site it controls.  Like Liverpool have done with Stanley Park, or Cork have done for Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
Musgrave Park, owned by Belfast City Council & 300m away from Casement would be spot on.

Politically a more neutral location, Musgrave Park would also attract more non-match day income.
A much bigger site, a modern wrap around bowl stadium could be developed.
And no road closures would be needed.

LeoMc

this is the GAA, a community based volunteer led organisation which exists to serve the people and as such, deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I was quite ambivalent about the whole project until I read Burns load of tosh. He doesn't say what people they are serving!

SkillfulBill

Quote from: snatter on September 30, 2013, 12:48:46 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 30, 2013, 09:13:15 AM

I still think that any new stadium should be in Belfast, to
1. Increase the GAA's profile.
2. Maximise income from holding events such as concerts and conferences

A bigger site, somewhere in Greater Belfast could and should be found.

If Belfast wants the benefits a 40k fully covered stadium can bring, it should stump up some of the cost, eg by gifting a site it controls.  Like Liverpool have done with Stanley Park, or Cork have done for Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
Musgrave Park, owned by Belfast City Council & 300m away from Casement would be spot on.

Politically a more neutral location, Musgrave Park would also attract more non-match day income.
A much bigger site, a modern wrap around bowl stadium could be developed.
And no road closures would be needed.

Snatter. A GAA stadium in any location in Belfast outside of West Belfast would become a focal point for Loyalist nutter's for publicity stunts, parades and objections to flying the tricolour.  Embedding the GAA in unwanted controversy. I think the concert and conference argument is a red herring as any GAA ground will never be viewed as a neutral venue.

I think Dungannon should be looked at as a serious alternative.  The Area around Quarry lane right up to Anne Street is underdeveloped and would be ideal for a stadium of this nature. Centrally located in Ulster with easy access to motorway and numerous access roads from all parts of the province. It is also a historical center for the province and is located at the heart of a massive GAA hinterland.

rrhf

Quote from: drici on September 30, 2013, 02:53:17 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM
Jarlath Burns' article from this weeks Gaelic Life. Discuss!!

This left us totally entitled to our share of the cake when it would be divided out along the inevitable sectarian/sporting lines.

This is horrible and totally wrong.
A sectarian stadium - only going by the quote above -  but people from outside Belfast have decided to cast a large close-knit community into darkness when they have a choice of sinking the pitch - so the height of the new grandstands comply with the same distance away from the houses and the same height as the only grandstand which currently is there now which the people of the area would be supportive of - and also at the same time as there is a large recently opened shopping centre in the very centre of Belfast which is below sea level because it has been sunk - but on the higher levels of Andersonstown where it would be such much easier to do so - there seems no wish on the part of these
Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2013, 05:20:35 PM
opportunists 
to do so.
GAA people from outside Béal Feirsde seem to want(and it is an appearance - also read back on this thread) to 'sicken the Planters' by throwing people from West Belfast into coldness and darkness so they can milk their iconic and now - given the above article -  'sectarian' monstrosity major cash cow.
Cruel - Wrong - Morally- Intellectually - whatever words are on the go now.
This is evil.
You cannot justify doing this to people.
People are real - not how many hamburgers at 4 quid and pints at 5 quid and 'sure look at the fortune we're makin' out of them eejits.'
Back off and do the right thing.
Unbelievable.
Do not do this to a community.
Do not do this to real people.
It is wrong.
Sectarianism under any guise is wrong.
Wrong Wrong Wrong
Do not hurt people.
It is wrong.
The whole concept of what is and has been put forward is wrong.
The forces of darkness in this case are wrong - why do they pursue?
Im not arguing with any of that..

BennyCake

Why build it in Dungannon, when Omagh is up the road? Plus, Antrim need a stadium so it makes sense to have it in Belfast.