Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on September 05, 2013, 10:40:43 PM
Basically what has happened is, there was meant to be a national stadium at Long Kesh. Matches, concerts etc. They couldn't come to any agreement. Ended up that rugby took some dough to do up their ground, soccer took some dough to do up their ground and the national stadium is being forced into the middle of Andytown.

So the people of Andytown don't want it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Is there a business plan for this new stadium available online?

ONeill

ONeill

ONeill

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: drici on September 05, 2013, 08:05:13 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 05, 2013, 07:53:29 PM
I agree if a club or individual has a problem with any aspect of the design then they dont sign the petition - simple really. Are the GAA and fans going to piss around enough over this just like the IFA to the extent that the funding is withdrawn you would almost think thats what some here want

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 25, 2013, 08:33:06 AM
As for the residents maybe the GAA should just move to a new site and sell the land to the council for a nice new abattoir or sewage works!!!!

Care to add anything to the debate?

The first post just confirms that people can sign a petition or not unless your 'GAA mafia' actually use physical force and threats to get what they want - do tell

The second post in its context was directed at people who buy houses next to a stadium and then dont expect any future development ever - little short sighted. If the work wasnt to go ahead in Casement then who knows what might happen, nice shiny stadium in Mid ulster - sounds good to me, Antrim GAA relocated - not out of the question and god knows what placed on the nice new brown field site at Casement.

Ps people saying the GAA just want to build what they want is a lie the design has already been altered with a loss of 4000 seats and a roof at one end but lets not let the truth get in the way of anything.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2013, 10:54:54 AM
So capacity is now down to 36,000? Is a stadium of this size needed?

I still have no idea what benefit the removal of the roof at the Andytown Road end is for local residents.

The whole point is it will host the Ulster final which has been getting around 30000 (35000 this year I think), the problem which I agree with most is how often the stadium will be at capacity (Im hoping the GAA have thought this through, international rules, concerts etc etc). I think the GAA in general need to have a better plan regarding stadium, ie a number of smaller grounds but of high quality. The plans for Pairc ui Chaoimh are an example of bad planning - Lets spend all the money on one massive stand and then give the rest of the dump a lick of paint. If the Casement design can be reduced to 30000 and that suits the residents then great although I do feel some (not all) the residents wouldnt be happy with any proposal.

Agree about the roof it would make more sense in terms of lighting issue to remove it from one of the sides although personally a modern stadium without a roof is ridiculous so maybe reduce height by reducing capacity but put the bloody roof back on

SkillfulBill

I still have no idea what benefit the removal of the roof at the Andytown Road end is for local residents.

I honestly think Hardstation is correct here, a 36,000 seater stadium is not required at the Casement Park site, The proposals do not have the support of the local community in the area and should not be forced on them. A local community center should be built with a number of pitches, handball courts and club facilities similar to many which are located through out the province. £5 M would make a right job of it and it would be a center for the development of Gaelic games and culture in the area. If you are going to build a stadium to service Ulster it should be located in a more central location within the Province and were the development is more likely to gain local support. For me Dungannon is probably the best location for such a facility. A very central location with easy access for all 9 counties. A town which is in much need of a regeneration and such a project would bring a massive commercial benefit to the area. The area is also seeped in GAA traditions and with the exception of the odd token unionist such a project would be welcomed with open arms.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2013, 11:03:28 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 06, 2013, 10:39:58 AM
If the work wasnt to go ahead in Casement then who knows what might happen, nice shiny stadium in Mid ulster - sounds good to me, Antrim GAA relocated - not out of the question and god knows what placed on the nice new brown field site at Casement.
Had they planned on doing this when the 'shiny new stadium' was planned for Long Kesh? I hadn't heard.

Your comment stinks of "Fcuk the residents. If they don't accept this, we'll really shaft them."

Oh dear back to my original argument when you buy a house beside a stadium you really dont know what will happen, ie new big stadium built on door step or stadium sold for other development be it houses, a Tescos etc etc. It is a risk Im afraid and a fact of life Im not saying f**k the residents and Im pretty sure the GAA does not have the time or interest to 'really shaft them' Im just pointing out what happens to people all over the country its not just the Casement residents some call it progress others disagree.

StephenC

Fcuk the residents. If they don't like it, they should be really shafted.

johnneycool

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 06, 2013, 11:22:16 AM

I honestly think Hardstation is correct here, a 36,000 seater stadium is not required at the Casement Park site, The proposals do not have the support of the local community in the area and should not be forced on them. A local community center should be built with a number of pitches, handball courts and club facilities similar to many which are located through out the province. £5 M would make a right job of it and it would be a center for the development of Gaelic games and culture in the area. If you are going to build a stadium to service Ulster it should be located in a more central location within the Province and were the development is more likely to gain local support. For me Dungannon is probably the best location for such a facility. A very central location with easy access for all 9 counties. A town which is in much need of a regeneration and such a project would bring a massive commercial benefit to the area. The area is also seeped in GAA traditions and with the exception of the odd token unionist such a project would be welcomed with open arms.

This money is specifically for a one off stadium development, not some centre of excellence as you suggest in the first part of your response.

The location of the stadium should have surely been up for debate right at the get go and according to the powers that be in Ulster GAA it was with the green field option looked at and Casement still came out on top. Not sure I believe that though.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: johnneycool on September 06, 2013, 11:30:43 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 06, 2013, 11:22:16 AM

This money is specifically for a one off stadium development, not some centre of excellence as you suggest in the first part of your response.

The location of the stadium should have surely been up for debate right at the get go and according to the powers that be in Ulster GAA it was with the green field option looked at and Casement still came out on top. Not sure I believe that though.

Then take the money go elsewhere, knock casement, apply for additional funding for development of site at Casement a la Garvaghy (GAA HQ, Sports council, Belfast City Council, your women in sports & culture) and everyones happy, Ulster get their stadium, residence get a facility more amenable to the area. Whats the problem ?

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on September 05, 2013, 10:55:33 PM
No. The people of Moorland Park don't fancy having 'only 3 hours of daylight each day'.

Would anyone?

2 hours of additional day light for Mooreland Pk.  What's not to like?

orangeman

Residents challenge GAA's Casement Park redevelopment A new 38,000 all-seater stadium at Casement Park is expected to cost more than £70m Continue reading the main story

A west Belfast residents group has launched a formal objection to the proposed new 38,000 seater GAA stadium at Casement Park.

The Mooreland and Owenvarragh Residents Association (MORA) has given a petition and letter of objection to the Department of Environment.

Work on the stadium is due to start in early 2014, with a view to hosting GAA fixtures at the ground by 2016.

But the residents group said the proposed new stadium is too big.

They describe it as a "monstrosity" and claim it will reduce the quality of life of people living beside it.

But GAA chiefs said it would enhance west Belfast socially and economically creating an estimated 1,400 jobs in the construction industry and would bring "significant GAA events back to Belfast for the first time since the 1970s".

A spokesperson said Ulster GAA had been in discussions with the residents group since April 2012.

'Earliest convenience'

"Ulster GAA have listened and used the residents and other stakeholders feedback in the development process," he said.

"The GAA also compromised significantly on the design and capacity of the development following ongoing engagement with MORA."

The spokesperson said MORA had recently withdrawn from discussions with the GAA.

"While this is regrettable, the GAA wants to re-engage with the group at the earliest convenience to review the operational issues as part of the stadium redevelopment."

The stadium has yet to gain final planning approval.

The cost of the new state of the art stadium is expected to top £70m.

Most of the funding is coming from the Northern Ireland Executive through the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL).

The redevelopment forms part of an overall £110m investment plan involving upgrades to the Ulster rugby ground at Ravenhill and Windsor Park football stadium.

qubdub

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 06, 2013, 10:39:58 AM
The second post in its context was directed at people who buy houses next to a stadium and then dont expect any future development ever - little short sighted. If the work wasnt to go ahead in Casement then who knows what might happen, nice shiny stadium in Mid ulster - sounds good to me, Antrim GAA relocated - not out of the question and god knows what placed on the nice new brown field site at Casement.

Ps people saying the GAA just want to build what they want is a lie the design has already been altered with a loss of 4000 seats and a roof at one end but lets not let the truth get in the way of anything.
What about people whose property has been in their family's ownership before Casement was built?

While we're not letting the truth get in the way of things, what are your thoughts on potential entertainment licenses being granted for the new stadium?