Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Naming rights are up for grabs as well....'The Fusco's Ice cream Arena'

Wildweasel74

I rather ther money been split against the counties to refurb their own home pitches or repay work already done. I know Celtic park needs to look at  anew stand at one of the goals with the team coming out from behind this, demolish the other end where the changing rooms currently stand and also built a new stand there, but no we go throw money into owenbeg building a stand there, instead of upgrading Celtic park to actually take a capacity crowd, not that we Derry fans need one.

Maguire01

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 23, 2013, 08:57:19 PM
I rather ther money been split against the counties to refurb their own home pitches or repay work already done. I know Celtic park needs to look at  anew stand at one of the goals with the team coming out from behind this, demolish the other end where the changing rooms currently stand and also built a new stand there, but no we go throw money into owenbeg building a stand there, instead of upgrading Celtic park to actually take a capacity crowd, not that we Derry fans need one.
When has Celtic Park ever been anywhere close to capacity? Would be an absolute waste of money to spend any more on that ground.

Minder

Saw in the Irish News today that the residents association are planning to protest at some games this summer.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 23, 2013, 08:57:19 PM

That wasn't on offer though.
Testing Accessibility

snatter

Quote from: NAG1 on May 23, 2013, 10:57:11 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 22, 2013, 04:50:17 PM
Point 3 is a very real issue but not related to the building of the stadium.

The funding is there solely for the stadium and TBH snatter is on the money on this one. Why are we hamstrung with the site at Casement if its going to cost as much for a hotch botch when there's the possibility of a fit for purpose stadium?
Did the Ulster council look at green field alternatives when it became obvious the IFA and Ulster Rugby weren't buying the joint venture out at Long Kesh or was it Casement or nothing??

The funding for the stadium projects were on the basis initially that there would be a shared multi use stadium. Once this had been rejected by the soccer dogs, the revised plan was for the 'refurbishment' of existing stadia to bring them up to date and modernise them. Plans were put forward on this basis, at no point was there ever funding going to be released for development of a brand new stadium on a new site. So that is why Casement was nominated and that is why Casement is the site, obviously there are going to be compromises on all sides, but these can be worked through.

Just to reiterate, at no point was there the possibility to develop a brand new stadium.

Complete tosh.

The Govt funding was for the development of one stadium, but there were no restrictions on the location of the stadium, or whether it should be brand new or a refurbishment.

It was the GAA's decision, alone, to choose Casement. Up until Oct 2010, most people had assumed that they would pick somewhere around Dungannon-ish, but they chose Casement instead:

Quote"We have gone through a rigorous process, a very detailed process by an independent consultant, and it has now been accepted so it does stack up,"

babarino

Who could begrudge West Belfast a big investment? But the return won't happen for it's residents. A few pubs will have a few bumper days, but that's it.

People are saying that there was money there and why would you turn it down. The Casement project has been the result of years of running down Clones, through lack of investment and ongoing negative commentary on the part of the Irish News. Politicians took up the baton and lobbied hard for a revamped stadium in Belfast. The money secured could better serve the people of West Belfast in so many other ways.

Now that it's happening we'll be consigned to days attending matches, but so much of the fun will be lost. Two articles written by a Fermanagh man and a Tyrone man, highlight how the GAA suits don't get it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2010/0814/opinion/breathing-a-sigh-of-freedom-127775.html

http://ulsterherald.com/2013/06/07/more-than-just-the-game/

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Onlooker

Thanks for those 2 articles, babarino.  They brought back great memories of Ulster Finals in Clones that I attended on many occasions over the years, despite the long trip from South Tipperary.  To me they were special days and up there with the highlights of the GAA year.  IMO it would be an awful pity if Ulster Finals in Clones were to be no more.  Good luck to the development of Casement Park, but it is to be hoped that St. Tiernach's Park remains an integral part of of big days in the football scene.

cluaineois

The problem that i have with the development of casement is who is going to take responsibility for the upkeep of St. Tiernachs park. The ulster council have not given any indication of what they intend doing , Monaghan co board will more than likely move their county ground to blaney when their development is complete, Clones club are engaged in a new development of their own which is more suitable for a club to maintain plus there is no way a small club can pay for the upkeep of a 38,000 capacity stadium.
once your a clone your never alone

seafoid

Did Clones only become the venue for the Ulster Final when the "troubles " started ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walter Cronc

Quote from: cluaineois on June 09, 2013, 10:33:54 AM
The problem that i have with the development of casement is who is going to take responsibility for the upkeep of St. Tiernachs park. The ulster council have not given any indication of what they intend doing , Monaghan co board will more than likely move their county ground to blaney when their development is complete, Clones club are engaged in a new development of their own which is more suitable for a club to maintain plus there is no way a small club can pay for the upkeep of a 38,000 capacity stadium.

If it was done fairly. In my opinion a 30k stadium should have been built with the 60 odd million from the British govt. The remaining 15 million should have been put into scaling down and refurbishing Clones into a 20k stadium.

NAG1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 10, 2013, 09:52:24 AM

If it was done fairly. In my opinion a 30k stadium should have been built with the 60 odd million from the British govt. The remaining 15 million should have been put into scaling down and refurbishing Clones into a 20k stadium.

This was an impossibility for this particular investment.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2013, 10:20:54 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 10, 2013, 09:52:24 AM

This was an impossibility for this particular investment.

Hows that? The British Govt are giving 65 million and the GAA are stumping up 15 million for the Casement project. What I was referring to was putting the 15 million into the refurbishment and down-scaling of Clones.