Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteCasement will get the odd league final and the odd All Irleand Quarter id assume.

Casement is simply not well located for such events, just as the likes of Wexford Park isn't. Unless a league or quarter final involves two of about 5 counties then there is no real advantage in playing games there. Perhaps it could be used for Dublin v Donegal, but people with boxes in Croke Park are not keen for such games to be elsewhere.

It is a no-brainer with the financial arrangements, but still a bit of a white elephant.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Leo

Quote from: armaghniac on February 07, 2013, 01:35:54 PM
QuoteCasement will get the odd league final and the odd All Irleand Quarter id assume.

Casement is simply not well located for such events, just as the likes of Wexford Park isn't. Unless a league or quarter final involves two of about 5 counties then there is no real advantage in playing games there. Perhaps it could be used for Dublin v Donegal, but people with boxes in Croke Park are not keen for such games to be elsewhere.

It is a no-brainer with the financial arrangements, but still a bit of a white elephant.

Not just a white elephant  - ANOTHER white elephant among the GAA stadia of Ulster (Park Esler, Healy, Celtic) that will only ever stage a capacity crowd once every couple of years (if that). These ego projects are diverting money from genuine games development. What we need are family friendly grounds, capacity around 10,000 max, proper covered accommodation and family-orientated facilities, in each county - with one central provincial venue for ALL major games, capacity about 30,000. Not gonna happen now.
Fierce tame altogether

babarino

The economically nonviable statelet most of us in Ulster live in has better things to be spending money on than a 40,000 seater stadium in the suburbs of Belfast. It won't add much to the economy of West Belfast, apart from a few bumper days for a few pubs. It will arguably be less able to deal with traffic than Clones - we could be walking half way to Lisburn to get to the cars on the one day a year it will be full. Less, not more, people are going to matches. It's a trophy to lobbyists that have campaigned for it years. As others have said in the thread there are enough good venues, including Casement as it is.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: babarino on February 07, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
The economically nonviable statelet most of us in Ulster live in has better things to be spending money on than a 40,000 seater stadium in the suburbs of Belfast. It won't add much to the economy of West Belfast, apart from a few bumper days for a few pubs. It will arguably be less able to deal with traffic than Clones - we could be walking half way to Lisburn to get to the cars on the one day a year it will be full. Less, not more, people are going to matches. It's a trophy to lobbyists that have campaigned for it years. As others have said in the thread there are enough good venues, including Casement as it is.

I agree that it is too big and have argued (see previous posts) that it should be more adaptable for use by the local community! However I think it was a take it or leave it grant from the British govt for one major stadium to be built. I don't think the GAA had the option of putting say 30 million into the current casement and dividing the remainder up for promoting the games at grass roots!

snoopdog

Why are people still giving out about this. The GAA were given 70 odd million from the British government to build a stadium and that is what they are doing. dont look a gift horse in the mouth.
The Soccer and Rugby are also doing the same with thier money. Seen the new windsor its also gonna be a lovely stadium, Ravenhill not so much, but a roof at all ends.
Ive said it before if the GAA bothered to promote the game the way Rugby does the likes of Newry Healy Celtic and Casement would have no bother attracting the crowds.

armaghniac

As I said the GAA should not look a gift horse in the mouth.
There are two things. It is a pity that a Cardiff style roof is not possible, accepting that this is difficult on the bigger GAA pitch. Secondly it would be helpful if the ground had a Croke Park like status that could allow other sports be played there the odd time, which would help relations in the Belfast context. Say if an important winter Ulster rugby game could be switched to a roofed Casement.

I think comparisons with Pairc Esler, Athletic Grounds, Healy Pk etc area bit overdone. These grounds have decent stands and inexpensive terraces for the infrequent big crowds. The stand in the Athletic Grounds would be substantially full for a variety of games,  intercounty fixtures, club double-headers, etc and not just once a year. The attendance at Antrim league games will not fill one quarter of these stands.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AQMP

I wouldn't have a problem with an Ulster rugby game at Casement but it wouldn't sit easy if Jamie Bryson was dancing in front of the Andersonstown Road end dressed as Footie!!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AQMP

In the spirit of the Association how about:

The Volunteers' Stand

ONeill

They'll have to honour former managers:

Baker Bradley's Baked Spuds So It Is
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Eamonnca1

Just completed the survey.  I asked what they're doing about parking. Also, what's up with the random triangles on the trusses on the roof?  Aren't they going to cast some strange shadows on the pitch during games?

Dougal Maguire

I see Windsor Park has got planning approval. Good clip on BBC news of Balex Attwood atvthe press photocall dressed in NI shirt and toe tapping a football
Careful now

ziggysego

BBC show plenty about Windsor Park and Ravenhill's development plans over the year. Casement Park make an announcement and it's barely acknowledged by the BBC.
Testing Accessibility