Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

QuoteCasement Park: Tenders for redevelopment to go out within days
Construction must begin by Christmas to be included in Euros

By Connla Young
March 29, 2024 at 6:00AM GMT
A Stormont department is expected to invite tenders for the redevelopment of Casement Park within days, the Irish News understands.

The Department for Communities (DfC) , which is leading the redevelopment, is expected to contact potential bidders next week.

The development comes as the clock continues to count down for the beleaguered project.

The proposed 34,500 capacity Casement Park stadium is included in the joint Ireland/Britain bid to host Euro 2028 and concerns have previously been raised over whether its redevelopment will be completed in time.

It is understood work must begin before Christmas if the deadline is to be met.

In 2013 Herron Brothers and English construction firm Buckingham Group, were appointed to redevelop the landmark GAA ground.

However, the project received a setback last August when Buckingham Group gave notice of its intention to appoint administrators.

It later went into administration owing more than £108m.

In November last year DfC confirmed it was taking the lead in the hunt for a new contractor after Co Derry-based Heron Brothers was forced to withdraw from the multi-million pound project "due to technical restrictions within the Public Contract Regulations".

At the time DfC officials said a streamlined process would be pursued using "existing procurement frameworks for major construction projects with pre-qualified contractors".

It later told the Irish News that the Regional Stadia Programme project team are "engaging with Crown Commercial Services on utilising a National Framework to procure a contractor for the main works".

It is understood the framework included around 20 firms with the capacity to build the landmark west Belfast stadium.

It is believed that of that number around half have signaled an interest in the project, although not all may submit a formal tender.

To date DfC officials have remained tight lipped about the procurement process.

Initially budgeted at £77 million, it is now estimated the delayed building project will cost around £220m to complete, with the GAA set to pick up just £15m of the total.

Last month the Irish government pledged €50m to the project.

Many have looked to the British government to make up the shortfall, but it has so far failed to publicly commit any more cash despite assurances by Secretary of State Chris Heaton-Harris that the money will be found to build the stadium.

Last month contractors were brought into the sight to begin clearing work.

The work began days before a delegation from UAEFA visited Belfast, including the Casement Park site.

DfC was contacted.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northern-ireland/tenders-for-the-redevelopment-of-casement-park-to-go-out-within-days-KIABTKTO3FFULAXXMEH3RBJC7Y/

seafoid

Quote from: Sportacus on April 05, 2024, 10:59:59 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2024, 10:11:33 AMAccording to the Examiner, Pairc ui Chaoimh will  host a European Rugby semifinal on the weekend of 4/5 May. The stadium can hold over 40,000 . The last time it hosted a rugby game, €5.6m was spent by patrons between tickets and refreshments and a further €3.7m was spent in Cork.

Imagine that happening in West Belfast on a regular basis

Define 'regular'?
Twice a year

giveherlong

Sports Minister Gordon Lyons: We can't move ahead with Casement Park as we don't have the required funds

DUP man still waiting for British government to confirm their contribution . . . but he would like the GAA to pay more

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/sports-minister-gordon-lyons-we-cant-move-ahead-with-casement-park-as-we-dont-have-the-required-funds/a2119667562.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68893562.amp

Milltown Row2

We have a sports minister? Christ, was there always a sports minister for NI?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Everyone wants a super duper Euro soccer standard Stadium but want Someone else to pay for it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

The Irish Government are tripping over themselves with money, please send your poor relatives up some coin so we can build this and then tell NI soccer and DUP where to go
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

Please give us some for the roads. I swear I think my entire car will go down a pothole some day at current rate...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 25, 2024, 11:50:02 AMPlease give us some for the roads. I swear I think my entire car will go down a pothole some day at current rate...

Pothole in my street is couple of inches deep, and the old road is visible, so we are getting closer to the sun everyday!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 25, 2024, 11:50:02 AMPlease give us some for the roads. I swear I think my entire car will go down a pothole some day at current rate...

a few near me are horrendous. All on the same road too

Rossfan

Please start paying a "Solidarity or Citizen" Contribution to the Irish Exchequer and we'll see what we can do.

Meanwhile Brits, Nordie Minister for Sport and GAA each saying the other 2 shoukd pay the shortfall.

imtommygunn

We go to croke park and the aviva occasionally. Sure that's enough.

Rossfan

markl121

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2024, 12:41:30 PMExchequer gets nothing from match tickets here.
Heard this at the weekend, GAA pay taxes on Northern games but no on Southern games

armaghniac

Quote from: markl121 on April 25, 2024, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2024, 12:41:30 PMExchequer gets nothing from match tickets here.
Heard this at the weekend, GAA pay taxes on Northern games but no on Southern games

Could we move the Stormont funded stadium to South Armagh and put the entrances in Louth?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Brendan

Quote from: armaghniac on April 25, 2024, 01:16:07 PM
Quote from: markl121 on April 25, 2024, 12:50:26 PM

Could we move the Stormont funded stadium to South Armagh and put the entrances in Louth?

That route is already busy...