The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Know his in-laws well, very sad for him and unfortunately I believe this will come more common place in the next few years, Phil Vickery in England has to retire as well. The collisions in rugby are becoming more and more fearsome even as junior level.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2010, 09:44:04 AM
Know his in-laws well, very sad for him and unfortunately I believe this will come more common place in the next few years, Phil Vickery in England has to retire as well. The collisions in rugby are becoming more and more fearsome even as junior level.

Is there an argument to wearing the shoulder pads and neck supports that the American Footballers wear?

Dinny Breen

I think there is AZ, I was at an Academy game a few months and the verocity and agression at the breakdown was frightening and these were just young lads all under 20.

Only yesterday I was coaching at a game where one of the opposition was stretchered off with a neck injury and brought to hospital.

It needs to be addressed particularly at a professional level.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

How many of the neck injuries are 'collision' injuries that padding and braces would help, versus injuries caused by things like scrums collapsing etc?

I've certainly noticed a lot of ferocity at breakdown time, but the scrum is still the area that seems most prone to people hurting their necks or spines.

Dinny Breen

It's a combination of both the scrum is really about attrition and wear and tear which weakens the neck, props will be involved in most of the rucks as well, hitting hard, sealing off - your generally pillar and post defence - even picking and driving leaves their necks exposed.

They are the most vulnerable but in time I believe every player is at risk, some of the collsions at Saturdays game were frightening.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2010, 11:11:01 AM
It's a combination of both the scrum is really about attrition and wear and tear which weakens the neck, props will be involved in most of the rucks as well, hitting hard, sealing off - your generally pillar and post defence - even picking and driving leaves their necks exposed.

They are the most vulnerable but in time I believe every player is at risk, some of the collsions at Saturdays game were frightening.

I made the same observation to my brother watching the Wales Australia game. Some of the tackles and ruck clearouts were just unreal in terms of pace, power and impact.

bcarrier

Whether it is laws or not in my view Stringer has improved his game . Sexton and Stringer should be given some game together .

Remember reading something last year about trying out Ferris as a lock..any views on that ..we seen to have a few more back row options ?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bcarrier on November 08, 2010, 12:42:35 PM
Whether it is laws or not in my view Stringer has improved his game . Sexton and Stringer should be given some game together .

Remember reading something last year about trying out Ferris as a lock..any views on that ..we seen to have a few more back row options ?

Yea Stringer deserves his shot, his form has been excellent in his limited appearances with Munster and Ireland, would be interesting to see how Sexton gets on with the quicker delivery.

Ferris is too good at six, our second row options are awful, can't see any light at the end of tunnel the injury to O'Connell and the retirement of O'Kelly has really hit home, just shows how good O'Kelly was, it's only now that he's gone that we miss him. Maybe someone Andrew Browne from Connacht deserves a shot, always impresses me when I see him play...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 08, 2010, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on November 08, 2010, 12:42:35 PM

Yea Stringer deserves his shot, his form has been excellent in his limited appearances with Munster and Ireland, would be interesting to see how Sexton gets on with the quicker delivery.

Ferris is too good at six, our second row options are awful, can't see any light at the end of tunnel the injury to O'Connell and the retirement of O'Kelly has really hit home, just shows how good O'Kelly was, it's only now that he's gone that we miss him. Maybe someone Andrew Browne from Connacht deserves a shot, always impresses me when I see him play...

What about Devin Toner Dinny? How far away is he from being ready physically? He's a bit beanpolish.

Another thing that's hitting home is the criminal neglect of Bob Casey.

Dinny Breen

He's 6' 11' or something ridiculous like, just turned 24 as well, tight 5 players really aren't at their prime till there late 20s early 30s in my opinion,  just look at how good Martin Johnson or John Eales were in their latter years. Anyhow Toner is a hookers dream, even Jackman could hit him but I'd say he's two years from been a guaranteed starter at Leinster, Nathan Hines though is bringing him along brilliantly and he's been very good for Leinster this year. Maybe we can't wait not if our line-out keeps functioning as it is...

As for big bad Bob, love his Irish Times article and he's been treated very harshly because he plays in England, no other reason, he scrummages well, shrewd line-out operator and provides leadership and a lilywhite to boot. Always thought himself and O'Connell would be a good partnership...
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Toner is now where casey was before he went to England to play.
Poor Bob was badly overlooked by Ireland , worse than Trevor Brennan was !
Bob could still do a job - def better than ryan or o'driscoll and imo way better than leo cullen.
Toner is 6' 10"  - though his uncle used to tell me that he was 7'.

Donnellys Hollow

Hard to believe that Casey was involved as far back as the 1999 RWC. To think of some of the dross that got their chance ahead of him down the years - Matt McCullagh and Ryan Caldwell stand out.

It always seems to be the flourbags that get the raw deal - Geordan Murphy, Trevor Brennan, Bob Casey. Fergus McFadden, Johne Murphy and Fionn Carr have no chance so!  :D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

The Trevor Brennan story was cat. 'Send us a video and we'll take a look at you'. He played for Toulouse for f**k's sake.

tyroneboi

Is that true AZ? Was that under the management of steady eddie? Reminds me of when Mick McCarthy I think it was told Denis Irwin he would have to prove himself to him! Geordan Murphy has always been an outcast when it comes to Irish selection. The guy is captain of one of the most successful clubs in Europe and has won everything at club level.

AZOffaly

Quote from: tyroneboi on November 08, 2010, 02:14:07 PM
Is that true AZ? Was that under the management of steady eddie? Reminds me of when Mick McCarthy I think it was told Denis Irwin he would have to prove himself to him! Geordan Murphy has always been an outcast when it comes to Irish selection. The guy is captain of one of the most successful clubs in Europe and has won everything at club level.

I'm sure it was true. Dinny might confirm. Eddie O'Sullivan's time it was I think.