The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on June 12, 2010, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2010, 04:50:09 PM
Jamie Jamie Jamie, you dumb t**t.

Can I propose gurrier?

No surprise that a Meathman has brought up that word, I haven't heard it used since 1999...
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2010, 05:40:17 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 12, 2010, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2010, 04:50:09 PM
Jamie Jamie Jamie, you dumb t**t.

Can I propose gurrier?

No surprise that a Meathman has brought up that word, I haven't heard it used since 1999...

I'm stumped, Dinny. You'll have to elaborate.

Dinny Breen

When Meath were football Kingpins, they had as you know a reputation for hard football and were ofter refered to as gurriers (undeserved)down here in Kildare , 1999 been the year of Meaths's last All-Ireland. Heaslip wasn't even acting the gurrier he was just been stupid...
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

OK.

Anyway, my point was that I'd characterise sticking your knee into somebody's head (twice), especially while he's helpless to prevent it, as more than an act of stupidity. "I was just being stupid, yer honour" wouldn't cut much ice in a courtroom, which is where a civilian would end up if he did something like that. And if it was a GAA player who did it and it ended up on the evening news (as it most likely would), "stupid" is not what they'd be calling it either.

Dinny Breen

Did he connect with the head though?

If he did I'd agree with you but I didn't think he did.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

By the way it was completely out of character for Jamie Heaslip and if a civilian did end up in court for something similar I'm sure his character witness testamonies would be taken ito consideration before any sentence is given out.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2010, 06:26:57 PM

He did dinny. He caught Mc Caw on the top of the head in the first one and missed the 2nd time because Healy got in the way. Stop making excuses for him. He should be dropped regardless of suspension. Less time spent in Krysle and a bit more time spent training might be appropriate for the Leinster element of our rugby team

Dinny Breen

I'm not making excuses for anyone, If he did connect well then he deserves all he gets and more but it was of character period. I saw it once this afternoon and I didn't think he connected.

QuoteLess time spent in Krysle and a bit more time spent training might be appropriate for the Leinster element of our rugby team

That's right lets deny young sports stars the right to have a social life or any life at all. Stupid and irrelevant comment.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 12, 2010, 06:43:35 PM
I'm not making excuses for anyone, If he did connect well then he deserves all he gets and more but it was of character period. I saw it once this afternoon and I didn't think he connected.

QuoteLess time spent in Krysle and a bit more time spent training might be appropriate for the Leinster element of our rugby team

That's right lets deny young sports stars the right to have a social life or any life at all. Stupid and irrelevant comment.

Its not a stupid comment. Its right on the money. I've seen it myself countless times at this stage.They may as well buy shares in the place for the amount of time they spend in there. I doubt very much you'll find French professional rugby players out and about as much as the Leinster lads. If its not there its Bucks on Leeson Street. They know the cameras will be at the venues and so invite the publicity. meanwhile I see other leinster players out in other places to avoid all that shite.

They get paid huge 6 figure salaries to be professionals. if they can't manage then they can join the 9-5 brigade like the rest of us and see how they like it. I'm staggered by the social life of some of them as professioanl athletes.

Celt_Man

Quote from: INDIANA on June 12, 2010, 06:36:36 PM

He did dinny. He caught Mc Caw on the top of the head in the first one and missed the 2nd time because Healy got in the way. Stop making excuses for him. He should be dropped regardless of suspension. Less time spent in Krysle and a bit more time spent training might be appropriate for the Leinster element of our rugby team

oh for fooks sake... what absolute nonsense Heaslip is an absolute star and in my opinion, such as it is, he will be a Irish Captain in the future. 

I haven't seen it yet but from what I have read - not on here mind you - it sounded like a rush of blood to the head.  Interesting to read that McCraw was involved - want to see what happened beforehand.  That's not to excuse what he did, he put Ireland in a terrible situation and this red card will always be a strain on his career - he will have to work hard to try and make up for it
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

INDIANA

http://www.skysport.co.nz/Default.aspx?tabid=68&cid=2552 8

33 seconds in. Clear as day. Take a long close look Dinny. Up there with Clohessy a few years back.

Donnellys Hollow

I'd nearly go as far as to say it was worse than the Claw's stamp on Roumat all those years ago.

You can kind of understand a player doing something like that out of fustration (not to defend it of course) if they were getting hockeyed by fifty points. However, Ireland were camped on the NZ line at the time and were only 10-0 down on the scoreboard with very little possession or territory in the opening 15 mins. McCaw was about to be pinged for lying all over the ball. Worst case scenario it would have been an easy three points in front of the posts. It could have easily been ten minutes in the bin for McCaw and a great chance of seven points for Ireland. I'm not saying Ireland would've won the game but Heaslip's brainless action cost his teamates any small chance they might have had.

I'd like to defend the guy because he's from Kildare but you have to call a spade a spade - it was a trampish act (albeit out of character). If he wants to be a future Irish captain he'd want to take a serious look at himself.

If Paul Galvin were to commit a similar act tomorrow afternoon there'd be WWIII on here and in the media.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Its actually still far from clear but the ref was close and he saw it not once but twice so will have to respect that. I have known Jamie since he was a toddler so pretty disappointed that he can let himself down like that but I will reiterate that it is completely out of character. He deserves a lengthy ban though although he probably won't get one and that will be my last comment on this incident.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2010, 02:35:23 AM
Its actually still far from clear but the ref was close and he saw it not once but twice so will have to respect that. I have known Jamie since he was a toddler so pretty disappointed that he can let himself down like that but I will reiterate that it is completely out of character. He deserves a lengthy ban though although he probably won't get one and that will be my last comment on this incident.

Very out of character however this is a sport that is all about whether you are caught or not. Unlike the Gaa  ;D

It certainly cost us any competitive chance in the game but then again were are only there for revenue purposes. O'Driscoll & Carter will play in the autumn series unless they are missing a limb or dead. Jamie will be back by then..
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Heaslip lost the head. Simple as that. As sportsmen and people in general do on occasion. It had precisely nothing to do with his social habits. Himself and Harinordoquy have been miles ahead of any other number 8's in NH rugby over the past 18 months. He saw McCaw killing the ball as he does every game and just lost the rag. Completely out of character but still beyond stupid to take the law into your hands like that in front of the ref.