The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

90 seconds alloted to a kick.

Did Rog have a perfect penalty record 11/11?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Main Street on March 20, 2010, 07:30:33 PM

One minute.

QuoteThe kicker must take the kick within one minute from the time the kicker has indicated an intention to kick.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rosnarun on March 20, 2010, 07:07:10 PM
WELL DONE TO THE IRFU MINOR SLAM AND DOUBLE CROWN CHAMPIONS 2010

:D :D :D :D

Couldn't have put it any better myself ros!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 20, 2010, 07:36:35 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 20, 2010, 07:30:33 PM

One minute.

QuoteThe kicker must take the kick within one minute from the time the kicker has indicated an intention to kick.
so, if more than one minute elapses, what is the ref supposed to do (if he's applying the letter of the law).  Ireland were awful today btw and have frequently played on the edges of fairness etc, so I'm not blaming the ref for todays defeat.

Main Street

A period of one minute between the indication of intention to kick at goal and the actual kick is well inside the zone of "undue delay".

So 90 seconds is grand, it's on the edge. :)

Bord na Mona man

Another kick in the arse.
Ireland need to go back to basics a little.
You need to earn the right to fling the ball around the place and try the fancy stuff. Against England and Wales they got away with being casual with the ball because they got a few handy tries without going through the phases.

Ireland still need to work like the underdog, regardless of the opposition.
They should have kept the lineouts short and tight and put the ball up the jumper for a while when Scotland looked like getting a foothold in the game.
The team played like they were entitled to run in tries without much groundwork.

At least they have a few months to sort out the scrum.

tyroneboi

With all this talk of the Irish scrum being pretty poor, what exactly is the problem? I only ask because I am no expert with the scrum and don't know the ins and outs of it. Is is purely down to the front row? Is it technique? Or is it a combination of things? It just goes to show how important the set piece is in rugby. To a certain extent you can get away with having an off day with one of the lineout or scrum but when the two are going wrong it is very hard to win a match at any level never mind at international level.

Declan

Golden Generation certainly blew it today. Really disappointing and very few good things at all happened. Remember this Scottish team lost to Italy.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Declan on March 20, 2010, 09:03:13 PM
Remember this Scottish team lost to Italy.

True but they did beat Australia last November and probably should have beaten both Wales and England this year. They are very well organised and gritty and if you are a bit off your game against them like Ireland were today it can cost you.

Main Street

What exactly does John Hayes do, apart from the scrum?
I was trying to follow his progress, but got quickly bored as he trotted from one place to the next around the fringes.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on March 20, 2010, 09:20:52 PM
What exactly does John Hayes do, apart from the scrum?
I was trying to follow his progress, but got quickly bored as he trotted from one place to the next around the fringes.

He is the reason O'Connell dominates in the air.

It looked to me that we decided to go for it from the start. Loads of tries was the plan. We showed lots of flair for 20 minutes as the Scots sat back, watched our exciting but error ridden play do nothing to the scoreboard and they took their limited opportunities. Once they had a lead to defend they grew into a performance very few people thought they had in them.

They deserved their win but we got it wrong from the off. You go after the big score only when you have the game won.
MWWSI 2017

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Declan on March 20, 2010, 09:03:13 PM
Golden Generation certainly blew it today. Really disappointing and very few good things at all happened. Remember this Scottish team lost to Italy.

True but they gave France a decent test and should have beaten Wales and England. In truth should have beaten Italy as well, just failed to put their chances away and were caught when the Italians broke away for a late try. 1 point from 4 games didnt reflect Scotland's season going into the game today. If Ireland did indeed go into the match expecting to win and to be able to throw it around and run up a big score then they hadnt done their homework. Doubt that was the case though.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: thewobbler on March 20, 2010, 05:17:09 PM
Another welcome nail in the coffin of O'Gara's international career :)

Tremendous work by Sexton.

Just home from game... You are kidding? Sexton lost Ireland the game with his missed penalties. Very frustrating and kicked away nine points against England as well but they got away with it that time.
Ireland were very flat for a lot of the game though like maybe believed could win when they decided to turn it on... after all Italy beat Scotland.
Anyway Croke Park and rugby no more... had my reservations about it at the time but it was good and the sky didn't fall in. Will be near impossible to get tickets in future as well. was reading the GAA made equivalent of £222,000 a week since they first opened Croke Park... how's that for apples Michael Greenan?     

stephenite

It appears Sexton doesn't have the experience to cope at this level, at leaset yet. O'Gara will be hanging around for his 100 caps I think.

Celt_Man

Quote from: stephenite on March 20, 2010, 10:55:30 PM

It appears Sexton doesn't have the experience to cope at this level, at leaset yet. O'Gara will be hanging around for his 100 caps I think.

Yea I reckon he'll get another 2 games as well!!  :D :D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010