The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Much/ any chance of picking up a ticket for this outside Croker on the day? Think I'll be about Dublin on Saturday and wouldn't mind heading.

Rossie11

Huge shock he went for Sexton. Delighted though.
Best of luck to him

GalwayBayBoy

Right decision to start Sexton. He has to be given a go at some stage against top class opposition and this is Ireland's last game before next year's 6 Nations. No harm in letting ROG know that his position isn't guaranteed anymore either.

Dinny Breen

What's Buckley doing on the bench?

Big test for Sexton, hope it goes well at least ROG can change the game of he comes on, great option to have.

Really fancy Ireland to win.
#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

Very very surprised but delighted he's gone with sexton. could be the making of him,

On an unrelated subject. How badly are we going to get it in the ass in the scrum?

Bord na Mona man

Surprised but very happy that Sexton got the nod.
Fingers crossed he has a good day, as we need someone to step up to the mark for the next World Cup.
Despite the mutterings of being conservative, Kidney isn't afraid of making the changes.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2009, 12:24:58 PM
Sean's heritage - mother Rotuman and father Irish - seems to have combined to produce a person who speaks like a Jamaican Rastafarian - his accent causing great mirth among the players.
Interestingly there is a strong theory that the Jamaican accent is derived from the Cork accent.
Thousands of slaves, prisoners and exiles from county Cork ended up in the Caribbean centuries ago.
There is definitely the same sort of intonation to them...mon!

ludermor

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 24, 2009, 02:57:49 PM
Sean's heritage - mother Rotuman and father Irish - seems to have combined to produce a person who speaks like a Jamaican Rastafarian - his accent causing great mirth among the players.
Interestingly there is a strong theory that the Jamaican accent is derived from the Cork accent.
Thousands of slaves, prisoners and exiles from county Cork ended up in the Caribbean centuries ago.
Yeah there was a thead a while back about the slaves who got moved to barbados during Cromwells time ( think it was 'To Hell or Barbados')

Celt_Man

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 24, 2009, 02:37:59 PM

Very very surprised but delighted he's gone with sexton. could be the making of him,

On an unrelated subject. How badly are we going to get it in the ass in the scrum?

While I'm not an expert on rugby, I'm pretty sure your idea of the scrum there isn't correct...

Good to see Kidney has the balls to make huge calls, surprised with the bench with Buckley and Stringer on it...  I believe Stringer had a fine game in the A match in Ravenhill a couple of weeks ago but thought Reddan done very well on Saturday in terrible conditions..

I wondered at the time, and I think Ryle might have mentioned in the coverage, when he put O'Leary on at scrum half with still 20 minutes to go against Fiji was Kidney having a look at the potential half back partnership for the 'Boks.   The reasoning was I would have thought Reddan would have got more than an hour
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on November 24, 2009, 03:18:05 PM
Yeah there was a thead a while back about the slaves who got moved to barbados during Cromwells time ( think it was 'To Hell or Barbados')

That's the name of the book.

Thread here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13181.0
MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

IMO Reddan had a shocker on Saturday. As much as Sexton played his way into the team Reddan played his way out. FWIW O'Leary isnt setting world alight either.

Glad to see Sexton given his chance. I hope he gets a decent platform.

Our backrow needs to up their game and you would have to be fearful for the front row - though the refs interpretation will be crucial there.

Looking forward to it.

trileacman

Quote from: bcarrier on November 24, 2009, 04:28:54 PM
IMO Reddan had a shocker on Saturday. As much as Sexton played his way into the team Reddan played his way out. FWIW O'Leary isnt setting world alight either.

Glad to see Sexton given his chance. I hope he gets a decent platform.

Our backrow needs to up their game and you would have to be fearful for the front row - though the refs interpretation will be crucial there.

Looking forward to it.

Agreed, OL hasnt exactly played that well for Ireland of late. Suprised to see Kidney go for Sexton. O'Gara whilst not as good as Sexton, he was certainly not bad against a tough Austrailia.

It says alot about Kidney though this selection. Not his percieved conservatism or his differences from EOS but rather what he thinks this match is worth. It will be interesting to see what we thinks a 6 nations game is worth come Spring.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Donnellys Hollow

Brave call by Deccie but probably the right one. Sexton isn't going to turn into an established international ten playing against the likes of Fiji.

Could be the kick up the arse ROG needs as well. He showed signs of coming back to form against Australia and it'll be interesting to see if he keeps that up in the remaining rounds of the Heineken. Could be an interesting 6N, I imagine they might share the ten jersey during it.

Looking forward to Saturday now. Confident we'll put up a good show and win by a score or two. Having Gert Smal in our coaching ranks could be a big advantage.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ludermor

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2009, 04:11:23 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 24, 2009, 03:18:05 PM

That's the name of the book.

Thread here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13181.0
Cheers Muppet

ludermor

Hope sexton has a stormer, it would be great to have genuine competition for O'Gara.
Really lookin gofrward to this game, ill have the hipflask ready for action. Many going to the game?