Dublin 7 times
Mayo 6
Kerry 5
Tyrone 4
Tipperary 2
Monaghan 1
Galway 1
Cavan 1

2015 to 2021 teams that reached the All-Ireland Quarter finals and weren't good enough to go any further.

Kildare, Cork, Roscommon, Meath, Armagh, Clare, Fermanagh and Donegal.

I think its a safe bet that the 2022 All-Ireland final will be 2 of 4 teams Tyrone, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry.

Should Tyrone not be on 5 there - 2015,2017,2018,2019 and 2021?

I would have to think very hard to name the semi final pairings  this last number of years. I think it's because the qualifier system has diluted the value of the provincial championships. Not only that, but we've seemingly had nothing but an annual regurgitation of the same 4/5 teams at the semi finals stage.

The super 8s killed it a bit. I really hope nothing like that comes back.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 16, 2021, 04:30:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 16, 2021, 12:35:40 PM
Still not too shabby an achievement reaching an ai final. Not that many have done it in recent years. They didn't beat the "big three" but still beat decent teams to get there.

I don't disagree with you that this year took me and probably most of Tyrone by surprise but I don't think Donegal. Monaghan, Armagh, Meath, Galway or cork have an ai in them or tbh close. Donegal could only at a push get near it with Murphy still about but they are really going to dip when he goes.

To counter my own argument though I think if Donegal for Tyrone early they could beat them lol. Latter stages with back door etc back I don't think they could though.
So to break it down, you think Donegal are capable of beating Tyrone in Ulster but not any later.
I think they are capable of doing it at any time of the championship. I also extend that to being capable of beating Kerry and Mayo.

In fairness, there have been many times where Tyrone have lost to Donegal or Monaghan in Ulster in recent years but then have always beaten them when it came to the AI series. Given Tyrone would then frustratingly lose to Mayo, Dublin or Kerry.

imtommygunn

It's not really a narrative tbh. Donegal, who are a team I like a lot, have been disappointing all things considered for a few years and those semi final stats back that up. They have so much promise and haven't lived up to it.

Tyrone always develop as a team as the year goes on. Mayo are like that too. 

StephenC

Onthe40

I have to say I'm a closet Donegal fan as well..they play great football at times and have unearthed some superb ballers this past few years..Thomson, Langan, McGee etc to compliment McHugh, McBrearty, Murphy etc
these are players that are capable of winning All irelands and would have medals if playing for Tyrone

But there has to be something seriously wrong with the setup as they fall pretty much at the same hurdle year on year

tiempo

Quote from: Onthe40 on September 17, 2021, 10:03:33 AM
I have to say I'm a closet Donegal fan as well..they play great football at times and have unearthed some superb ballers this past few years..Thomson, Langan, McGee etc to compliment McHugh, McBrearty, Murphy etc
these are players that are capable of winning All irelands and would have medals if playing for Tyrone

But there has to be something seriously wrong with the setup as they fall pretty much at the same hurdle year on year

Is that an amalgamation you have in mind or just had they been born in Tyrone?

Just imagine the potential if the Rossies and Mayonnaise put their differences aside.

And spare a thought for poor Enda Muldoon, an actual Tyrone man who toiled away with Derry  :-X

Onthe40

my point is they have the players, seems to be a mentality issue...

Rossfan

Their style of play doesn't seem to help.
They get loads of possession but don't turn enough of it into scires.
Their first instinct when they see a defender is to kick the ball back!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

maddog

Quote from: tiempo on September 17, 2021, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: Onthe40 on September 17, 2021, 10:03:33 AM

Just imagine the potential if the Rossies and Mayonnaise put their differences aside.

They can't be civil with each other here in Birmingham so not sure how the Ballagh strip would react.