24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on January 25, 2011, 09:50:45 AM
drawbridge economics, wtf does that mean  ???

Its when you crawl back into the Castle, pull up the drawbridge, you have no food or water, your outnumbered by unbeatable numbers and there are no reinforcements on the way.

That seems to be Sinn Féins & the UWA tactics to win this economic war. To be honest Labour seems to have half its army in the castle and the other half running around the battle field with their kilts in the air. Fianna Fáil are drowning themselves in the moat and Fine Gael are wondering what the fck labour are at on their left flank. The Greens have gone back to their fields to plant organic turnips and Jackie is on his Donkey driving the Bull into the Turnip patch. While our European Allies are in the Bay thinking wtf's going on.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ludermor

Yes indeed Fine Gael are indeed playing a blinder.

Banana Man

i think it's fair to say that no-one is pulling up any trees at the minute then

i would say all of the opposition parties were creaming themselves over this whole saga, salivating at the prospect of the potential swing in popularity but sweet lord they have dithered and muttered around this golden opportunity!

seafoid

Fianna Fáil sickness list :

Dermot Ahern (Louth)
Noel Dempsey (Meath West)
Tony Killeen (Clare)
Batt O'Keeffe (Cork North-West)
Michael Finneran (Roscommon-South Leitrim)
Seán Ardagh (Dublin South-Central)
Bertie Ahern (Dublin Central)
Noel Ahern (Dublin North-West)
Dr Jimmy Devins (Sligo-North Leitrim)
Beverly Flynn (Mayo)
Tom Kitt (Dublin South)
M.J. Nolan (Carlow-Kilkenny)
Dr Rory O'Hanlon (Cavan-Monaghan)
Ned O'Keeffe (Cork East)
Noel Treacy (Galway East)
Mary Wallace (Meath East)
Dr Michael Woods (Dublin North-East)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Beginning to look like no FFer wants to stand in Ros/Sth Laythrum  :D
They'll have to press gang some Austin Currie 1990 type eejit to stand anyway just for the sake of it
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pangurban

Maybe MayoGodHelpUs could explain why FG are facilitating the passage of a finance bill to which they claim they intractably opposed.

Maguire01

Quote from: Pangurban on January 25, 2011, 07:36:39 PM
Maybe MayoGodHelpUs could explain why FG are facilitating the passage of a finance bill to which they claim they intractably opposed.
Haven't they alluded to a Finance Bill Pt 2 later in the year that will supersede this one? Is this one not just to expediate the change of government?

Pangurban

Not necessary to go through this pantomine to facilitate change of government, a simple no confidence motion will do that. They are afraid to take ownership and responsibility for this disasterous bill , so they feign opposition, and hope to blame FF for putting it through. Cowardly, hypocritical curs who are unfit to govern

Maguire01

Quote from: Pangurban on January 25, 2011, 08:01:49 PM
Not necessary to go through this pantomine to facilitate change of government, a simple no confidence motion will do that. They are afraid to take ownership and responsibility for this disasterous bill , so they feign opposition, and hope to blame FF for putting it through. Cowardly, hypocritical curs who are unfit to govern
Maybe. But any opposition about to get into government would arguably do the same. The only people insisting on the alternative can comfortably do so because they know they won't be in a position to have to make any of the tough calls or put their alternatives to the test.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 25, 2011, 08:49:49 PM
Maybe. But any opposition about to get into government would arguably do the same. The only people insisting on the alternative can comfortably do so because they know they won't be in a position to have to make any of the tough calls or put their alternatives to the test.

True but that just shows the quality of politician and political party we have. FG and Labour could kill the finance bill (remember they have been saying that FF don't have a mandate for this bill) but instead really want it to pass so that they can blame FF when they get into government. The alternative is to kill it, rewrite it and stand over their own legislation but both are too cowardly. You know what - I think the people are starting to realise this cos I've been listening to people at work who are not what I'd call "politically astute" who see the above for what it is. I think SF are the only ones who are sticking to their guns and could reape the rewards.

Maguire01

Agreed Myles, FG/Lab should have done just that. And they'd have sufficient breathing space to turn things around before facing the electorate again. Having said that, it's easy for SF to continue to protest as they know they won't be in a position to have to actually make some necessary and politically unpopular decisions.

Pangurban

The point Maguire is that SF have the balls to make decisions, to say what they mean and mean what they say. Be they right or wrong, can be a matter for debate, but at least they are honest with the electorate

Maguire01

Quote from: Pangurban on January 25, 2011, 09:23:17 PM
The point Maguire is that SF have the balls to make decisions, to say what they mean and mean what they say. Be they right or wrong, can be a matter for debate, but at least they are honest with the electorate
No, my point is that they are unlikely to have to make any of the decisions. We can all talk the talk if we know we won't have to walk the walk. That doesn't take any balls.

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2011, 08:58:34 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 25, 2011, 08:49:49 PM

True but that just shows the quality of politician and political party we have. FG and Labour could kill the finance bill (remember they have been saying that FF don't have a mandate for this bill) but instead really want it to pass so that they can blame FF when they get into government. The alternative is to kill it, rewrite it and stand over their own legislation but both are too cowardly. You know what - I think the people are starting to realise this cos I've been listening to people at work who are not what I'd call "politically astute" who see the above for what it is. I think SF are the only ones who are sticking to their guns and could reape the rewards.

That would take for granted that they get a majority. That would be very naive. Ask Neil Kinnock. If they pull it down now and we end up with a hung Dail after the election the finance bill might not get passed in any form for months. Look at Belgium who are without a Government now for 227 days.

I was and am against the Bailout as negotiated by FF. The interest rate is too high and they should have separated at least some of the private debt and not landed it on the taxpayer. However if no version of the budget soon is passed we will be Zimbabwe in weeks.

MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Muppet - all ifs and buts. Parties need to have some integrity and act on what they believe in. The imf and eu can bloody wait until the democratic wheels have turned. A government with no real mandate putting through this bill is more akin to Zimbabwe I reckon.