Maybe at some time in the future
24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on January 14, 2011, 03:19:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 14, 2011, 03:09:28 PM
http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/life-a-style/item/2159-dermot-flanagan-seeks-fianna-fáil-nomination-to-contest-general-election-in-mayo.html
He's sure to get plenty of the Mayo GAA vote.

Do FF think they can keep two seats of the 5 in Mayo?

Kenny and Ring are safe. Looks like one of O'Mahony and Mulherrin for the 3rd FG.

Then you have Calleary, Flanagan, Cowley, the loser of the above and possibly long shot Murray for the other two seats, with Calleary favourite for one of them and a battle royale for the last one.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on January 14, 2011, 03:28:48 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 14, 2011, 03:19:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 14, 2011, 03:09:28 PM
http://www.mayotoday.ie/index.php/browse-mayo-news-by-category/life-a-style/item/2159-dermot-flanagan-seeks-fianna-fáil-nomination-to-contest-general-election-in-mayo.html
He's sure to get plenty of the Mayo GAA vote.

Do FF think they can keep two seats of the 5 in Mayo?

Kenny and Ring are safe. Looks like one of O'Mahony and Mulherrin for the 3rd FG.

Then you have Calleary, Flanagan, Cowley, the loser of the above and possibly long shot Murray for the other two seats, with Calleary favourite for one of them and a battle royale for the last one.
I am amazed that Flanagan wants to stand. I can't see FF getting two seats and himself and Calleary could well succeed in messing each other up. I really can't see Flanagan entering the race to hoover up extra votes for Calleary and I certainly don't see FF getting the pair elected.
Mickey and Enda should come in 1 and 2 but that pair of hoors will each concentrate on outdoing the other and Mulherrin and O'Mahony may not benefit greatly from their surpluses.
There's no love lost between the latter pair either and I doubt if they will engage in a vote management strategy. I don't know to what extent O'Mahony's disastrous stint as a football manager will influence the voting but it will hardly gain him any of those who are undecided.
From what I am hearing from FG heads in Swinford, Mulherrin seems to be the one more likely to win the third and last FG seat.
I expect Cowley to win back the seat he lost last time. There may not be a lot of labour voters in Mayo but he should benefit from a few extra cars on voting day and a couple of dozen extra canvassers 
How 'bout....
Mickey .... Enda ....Dara ... Michelle ... Jerry?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

I can't see Cowley getting in Lar.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2011, 07:13:48 PM

Even the Sunday Independent, the voice of the boom,  turns against FF

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/soldiers-of-destiny-dont-even-have-a-map-2497979.html

QuoteNoel O'Flynn said on Friday that the election campaign would be "completely different" with a new leader.

Fianna Faill will want the voters to forget fueling the mess, to forget the bailout of the banks and to forget leading us into the hands of the IMF/EU.

However there are no canvassers (the Indo?) quite like FF ones for digging up the past.

Gimore's past?
Sinn Fein's past anyone?
Not to mention the fact they call FG 'the Blueshirts'?

I'm not saying I forget the past easily but for FF to suggest we forget it is comical. 
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

I can see John Drennan's version of events actually coming true. That FF could be down to 25 seats. The only 2 'bankers' would be Willie O'Dea and Cowen himself...indeed if Cowen lasts till election time.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 15, 2011, 12:32:37 PM
I can't see Cowley getting in Lar.
Jerry seems to have dirtied his bib a bit with Rossport and his support went the last time.
you'd have to think Flanagan, a lot of People who voted for his father will vote for him and he's well liked. Very interesting election ahead, could come down to who is knocked out first Callerary or Mulherin, the other is guaranteed, there was only ever one seat in Ballina and it'll be surprising if that changes now.
I say FF two, FG three
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Are u still voting FF Farrandeelin? If u are have u any reasons?
Just out of interest, if u don't want to answer u don't have to but please have more than FG/Labour would have done worse!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 16, 2011, 07:49:00 PM
Are u still voting FF Farre

How could anyone vote for them with the mess the country's in. No, I won't vote for them. Maybe Michelle, but as regards the Mayo constituency, it will probably be 3 FG seats, and 1 FF with Kilcoyne joining as independent.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 16, 2011, 07:52:08 PM

How could anyone vote for them with the mess the country's in. No, I won't vote for them. Maybe Michelle, but as regards the Mayo constituency, it will probably be 3 FG seats, and 1 FF with Kilcoyne joining as independent.

Michael Kilcoyne will be popular with the left minded vote in Mayo, he is ex-Labour, he has held senior positions in SIPTU & the Consumers Association of Ireland. He is town counciller in Castlebar and well liked in the County especially in the relatively densly populated central region of the county. He would get one of my ticks if I where back home for the next election.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

From www.irishtimes.com

Martin to vote against Cowen in confidence motion

Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin has tendered his resignation to Taoiseach Brian Cowen and will vote against him in a motion of confidence this week as leader of the Fianna Fáil party.

After Mr Cowen challenged rebel ministers and backbenchers to vote him out, Mr Martin confirmed he would fight for a change in leadership.

At a hastily arranged press briefing in Dublin tonight, Mr Martin said the Taoiseach indicated he believes his resignation is not necessary.

Mr Martin - singled out as Mr Cowen's main challenger - now faces the task of drumming up enough rebel support to oust the Taoiseach in a secret ballot.

"I welcome the decision of the Taoiseach to table a vote of confidence in himself at next Tuesday's parliamentary party meeting. I will, in accordance with my views, be voting against the motion of confidence," Mr Martin said.

"In these circumstances, I have offered my resignation to the Taoiseach." However, Mr Martin confirmed he would stay on as Minister for Foreign Affairs at the Taoiseach's request.

"I have reluctantly concluded that, in these circumstances, Fianna Fáil should change its leader before the election and I have informed the Taoiseach of this view," Mr Martin said.

"Having talked to most members of the parliamentary party and many members of the party across the country I believe this is a widely held view."

His comments follow Mr Cowen's earlier declaration that he intended to stay on at the helm of Fianna Fáil, insisting it was in the best interests of the country and the party.

In an effort to face down questions over his leadership, Mr Cowen said he planned to table a motion of confidence in himself as party leader at Tuesday's party meeting.

After two days of consultation with colleagues, Mr Cowen said he had come to the conclusion that stepping down would lead to confusion and loss of authority.

"As Taoiseach my total focus must remain with discharging my duties to the people," he told a press briefing at the Alexander Hotel in Dublin.

"For Fianna Fáil the party is important but the interests of the country are paramount." Mr Cowen said he had no considered resigning. "No. I made no indication of resigning at any time as leader of the party," he said.

The Taoiseach accepted there was "an issue" over leadership but said that question should be resolved quickly.

Under normal Fianna Fáil party rules, a leader would only face a vote on the leadership if a parliamentary party member put forward a motion of no confidence.

He said he wanted to dispense with procedures and put forward the motion himself for a vote when TDs and Senators at Tuesday's parliamentary party meeting.

Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan, considered one of the likelier candidates to take over as leader should Mr Cowen step down, said tonight he was glad the Taoiseach had tabled the motion of confidence in his leadership. A spokeswoman for the minister would not be drawn on how he would vote.

Minister for Tourism Mary Hanafin, another likely contender for the leadership, declined to comment.

Concerns over the Taoiseach's leadership came to a head in the last week after he was publicly grilled in the Dáil on Wednesday on his contacts with former Anglo Irish Bank boss Sean FitzPatrick.

Under pressure, he revealed the names of two other business chiefs who joined him and Mr FitzPatrick for a post-golf match dinner in Druid's Glen, Co Wicklow - Gary McGann, chief executive of Smurfit Kappa, who was a director of Anglo at the time, and Alan Gray, an economist appointed to the Central Bank board by Mr Cowen.

But tonight he rejected that his Anglo contacts were at issue. "The issue here is not about that at all," he said.

"All members of the parliamentary party acknowledge my good faith in relation to all of these issues. My standing in the party is not under question in any way."

Earlier Tánaiste Mary Coughlan confirmed Mr Cowen had completed his process of consulting party colleagues on his leadership.

"I believe that he has to the forefront of his mind this country, and naturally his party, and that the decision that he will be making will be in the best interests of this country," she told RTÉ's This Week  programme.

But Minister of State for Education Seán Haughey, who spoke to Mr Cowen on Thursday, said the Taoiseach was not plotting to remain in office.

"I found him in a very philosophical humour, very genuinely open to discussion and debate," he said.

"I didn't get the impression of a man who was sitting there plotting to remain in power." Mr Haughey said he told Mr Cowen he was not communicating with the electorate.

The minister said he got the impression Mr Cowen wanted to do what was best for the country and party.

"If he thought it was in the interests of the party, I think he would consider stepping down," he told RTÉ Radio today.

Backbencher Noel O'Flynn has openly called for Mr Martin to take over as party leader.

"I think it is time for Brian Cowen to consider his position and to resign as leader of Fianna Fáil and I think what should happen then is that the parliamentary party should come in behind the candidature of Micheál Martin," the Cork North Central TD said after speaking with Mr Cowen.

A no confidence vote in the Government, tabled by the Labour party, was temporarily blocked on Friday.

Government Chief Whip John Curran refused to free up Dáil time, forcing the party to wait for more than a week to test the Taoiseach's support.

Labour leader Eamon Gilmore had branded the Government dysfunctional and said it was reneging on commitments to hold an election in the early part of the year.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 16, 2011, 07:52:08 PM

I thought u were died in the wool FF!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Soon to unemployed highly paid retiree from Clara is on Newstalk blaming the International Financial System again.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.