I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

stephenite

Quote from: glens abu on November 23, 2010, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: stephenite on November 23, 2010, 11:17:42 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 23, 2010, 10:32:08 AM
Quote from: stephenite on November 23, 2010, 04:12:10 AM
Regarding the United Ireland thing, did we not all vote that it would happen when the majority in both jurisdictions voted that they were in favour?

Considering that Sinn Fein campaigned for us all to vote in favour of the above I really do get a hump in my shite when I have to listen to the likes on Nally Stand and my cousin harping on and on and on........

Stephenite, I live on the same planet believe it or not. I realise that a UI will only happen by consent, but this doesn't mean it should be ignored by the majority of political parties in Ireland. Parties which portray themselves as republican need to start to develop uirther the All-Ireland aspects of the GFA and work to build support for a UI for when such a time for a referendum might come. Maybe if that happened, people in the south might stop complaining about nordies "harping on" about a UI and decide that they actually think it is worth "harping on" about.

How is it being ignored, all political parties campaigned for the GFA IIRC, most people assume that their politician are not actively pursuing a United Ireland at the moment because it would be a waste of fecking time. The notion that any referendum held on the matter in the next 20 years is unlikely, the idea that a United Ireland will come to pass in the same timeframe is doubly unlikely in my view, particularly considering the events of the last few weeks.

What exactly is it you're looking for anyway? If you accept the principle of consent you surely must accept that the consent of the Loyalist community is not likely anytime soon, if ever, so what do you want from Southern political parties and people? Weekly press releases demanding reunification, but only when the good people of Ulster are ready? Rallys demanding that reunification occur immediately - even though we've already voted to wait until ye're ready?

If we had a bit less of the condasceding shite on what's worth it and what's not we'd be more inclined to listen, but there's nothing new to listen to, same auld shite day after day.

Take me home to Mayo,Oh my God :-[

Is that it Glens abu, significant contribution indeed, well done...

Can I ask a question Nally (and thanks for the well constructed reply by the way)

Why would any mainstream political party allow the staus quo to change at the expense of their own votes? It's too easy to say partitionist, they inherited the system and they are trying to stay elected.

Just to point, in regard to the Nordie term. Out of 5 in my family both myself and the younger brother were born in the south, the rest were born in the North where every single last Aunt, Uncle and Cousin are from. My parents in their retirement have pretty much moved back to Belfast, which is where I would have spent the majority of my holidays etc. That's not unique for a modern Irish family so when I use the term Noride it's in jest and in response to being called a free state b**tard all my life. I'd like to think I've fair idea of the position of some republicans in the North when it comes to their views of partition. It's very easy to say that the majority in the South would vote for retaining the current model, but there are plenty in the North with family and financial commitments that would be equally keen to retain the current civil service job that has served them so well - so let's be very clear that there are Catholic/Nationalist/Republicans that are equally pro partition on both sides of the border, and all this is before we even think about the backlash from loyalist paramilitaries and the resurrection of the troubles and all the votes that scenario would change.

It's the abuse that is heaped onto "free staters" for their partitionist views by extreme republicans that irks me -people in the main do not want a return to violence and be in a position to provide for their families, most people can do that now, and some in my family are committed to the ending of partition regardless of the economic devestation it may cause, others are more circumspect about keeping the status quo and ensuring they're in a position to look after their kids. It's funny but the views tend to change with age and circumstances.

I think that partition will end eventually, and when it does I hope it's a peaceful and smooth transition, for that to happen it's going to take time, longer than my lifetime I'd imagine

Maguire01

Quote from: stephenite on November 23, 2010, 10:06:18 PM
I think that partition will happen eventually, and when it does I hope it's a peaceful and smooth transition, for that to happen it's going to take time, longer than my lifetime I'd imagine
How long was I asleep for?
:P

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 23, 2010, 11:52:56 PM
Quote from: stephenite on November 23, 2010, 10:06:18 PM
I think that partition will happen eventually, and when it does I hope it's a peaceful and smooth transition, for that to happen it's going to take time, longer than my lifetime I'd imagine
How long was I asleep for?
:P

:D Are you suggesting its time for Connacht to bail out before Ireland gets the bailout?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

seafoid

FF should stop sending senior party members onto TV programmes. I have seen Pat Carey being savaged, Mary Hanafin look ridiculous, Dick Roche look out of his depth and Tony Killeen lose the cool totally in the last week. 
There is a line that they can follow that makes sense and that is a true reflection of what happened last week. Brian Cowen was shafted by the ECB when it became clear that the emergency liquidity support provided to the banks would no longer be expanded. Instead the FFers  get tied up in pointless arguments that make them look stupid.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Banana Man

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on November 23, 2010, 10:05:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 23, 2010, 05:04:07 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 23, 2010, 04:51:35 PM
simple solution, Emigrate to the North lads, sign on the dole, let the UK Government pay for you's, boost the nationalist population, vote for a united ireland, then get an election result where the new single Irish unionist party (based in Belfast obviously) would be the lead partner in any coalition and let them make the economic decisions as FF and FG can't.

Let them run the new Ireland and let the FG and FF lads worry about their own wee corner of Ireland and it's associated potholes.

NI dole is only 60 GBP per week, no?

You bad hoor Bananaman. You were only trying to get into me knickers all the time.

Watching Prime Time now. Sapping my will to live. Jesus Jesus Jesus.

:D Didn't realise it was only £60 a week, that is seriously low but thenyou would get housing benefit in top of that plus if you say you're an alco you get a daily allowance to sup pints, I shit you not. Also if you carry 2 walking sticks (not just one) you get double, my mate is a pharmacist and says his place is full of walking sticks on a tuesday.

Watched a bit of primetime myself, first conclusion is Miriam would get an awful seeing too, second conclusion, who was the Financial analyst with the glasses? he seemed to know what he was talking about and put it to the FF boy. He said default was the only way in line with what I was saying yesterday.

EddieMerx

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2010, 08:32:54 AM
FF should stop sending senior party members onto TV programmes. I have seen Pat Carey being savaged, Mary Hanafin look ridiculous, Dick Roche look out of his depth and Tony Killeen lose the cool totally in the last week. 
There is a line that they can follow that makes sense and that is a true reflection of what happened last week. Brian Cowen was shafted by the ECB when it became clear that the emergency liquidity support provided to the banks would no longer be expanded. Instead the FFers  get tied up in pointless arguments that make them look stupid.

Cowen didn't get shafted by the ECB! they were sensible and said no more to funding our insolvent Banks. The ECB simply can no longer pour good money after bad! The tactics applied by FF are the same as they have always used, send out the those who shout and scream the most to quell the stupid public! Doesn't work anymore when we have the international media now reporting the Truth and not acting as a PR machine for FF like our national broadcaster. I hear now that we have negotiated a rate of 7% for this 85 billion loan! good negotiating FF, well bloody done considering Greece got 5% - our interst payments will now be 1/3 of what our goverments intake is.... Tell me please how FF have got us a good deal here??? Soliders of Destiny alright, bet Dev never knew that destiny was to make as a laughing stock and deemed a parasite on Europe.

Banana Man

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 24, 2010, 09:55:03 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/213124/Ireland-s-wreckers

Excellent piece by Myers in the Express

I would hardly label it excellent. What was meant to be an article on the current financial plight in the 26 counties and the greed and excessive spending descended into 'have a pop at Gerry Adams and sinn fein'. Out of a possible list of near 100 FF TD's he picked the one who lifted an IRA man on his shoulders, how about the boys responsible for the bailout, the repeated lies and the pathetic attempt at negotiations resulting in 7% loans from the EU.

Relevant article? No. Biased? Yes. Concentrated on economic plight? Definitely not.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 24, 2010, 09:33:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2010, 08:32:54 AM

Cowen didn't get shafted by the ECB! they were sensible and said no more to funding our insolvent Banks. The ECB simply can no longer pour good money after bad! The tactics applied by FF are the same as they have always used, send out the those who shout and scream the most to quell the stupid public! Doesn't work anymore when we have the international media now reporting the Truth and not acting as a PR machine for FF like our national broadcaster. I hear now that we have negotiated a rate of 7% for this 85 billion loan! good negotiating FF, well bloody done considering Greece got 5% - our interst payments will now be 1/3 of what our goverments intake is.... Tell me please how FF have got us a good deal here??? Soliders of Destiny alright, bet Dev never knew that destiny was to make as a laughing stock and deemed a parasite on Europe.

If anybody shafted Cowen it was Angela Merkel with her unhelpful commentry over the last few weeks. I understand she was under internal polictal pressure in Germany, a country getting sick and tired of funding other countries debt and efficiency, but she has only made Germany's payouts an inevitability. That said Cowen got himself here, through his years as Minister for Finance and An Taoiseach.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Banana Man

Quote from: Zapatista on November 24, 2010, 10:38:13 AM

Myers has been attacking Adams all week :D

That's the real beauty of it. When the likes of Myers gets his nose out of joint it's got to be good. I think Myers is just pissed as the Adams move caught him off guard and if elected will put an end to the mouthing he does about Adams' mandate. Myers is in shock as he was blindsided and is hitting out as best he knows. Brilliant.

Not familiar with Myers (i don't think nayway), where is he from Zap? Is he anywhere else apart from the Express?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on November 24, 2010, 10:43:33 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on November 24, 2010, 10:38:13 AM

Myers has been attacking Adams all week :D

That's the real beauty of it. When the likes of Myers gets his nose out of joint it's got to be good. I think Myers is just pissed as the Adams move caught him off guard and if elected will put an end to the mouthing he does about Adams' mandate. Myers is in shock as he was blindsided and is hitting out as best he knows. Brilliant.

Not familiar with Myers (i don't think nayway), where is he from Zap? Is he anywhere else apart from the Express?

He is from Pembrokeshire the Southside of Dublin. He writes in the Irish Indo.

stephenite

He has relatives in Knockmore, Co.Mayo

Banana Man

thanks for that lads, not familiar with him at all and based on that 1 piece I don't think I have missed out either