Maybe at some time in the future
24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Declan

Local or not have a think about this and what FF have done to the country. We are here in a dreadful mess by them spouting the nonsense about the bank bailout and NAMA etc. Everything they did to date was about as wrong as it could be.

Explain in simple word how we could service a 250-300 Billion national debt?

It could be an interest payment alone that is larger than the tax take of the country. If your debt is greater than GDP and your interest rate is large than your growth rate you are bankrupt. Do the maths. It is not a good idea, we are not going to get anywhere pretending things are better than they are.

The banks cannot be saved, we are merely aiming to remain legacy private debt while being politically blackmailed to do so. It is nonsense.

Eddie is right to be on his bike

fearglasmor

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 23, 2010, 04:11:23 PM
The Irish people have got what they deserve! I never voted FF and I have always been a strong anti FF person. Will I vote in the next election? No, I have my Visa and will be taking my professional ass to Toronto - Sorry folks but quiet frankly this evil little empire is where it deserves to be. The IMF demanding higher taxes on individuals and reduced public spending & the EU Partners taking swipes to make us less competitive on the Corporation Tax front. Fianna Fail have sunk this country economically in the same manner that the 3rd Reich suck Germany, so to those people claiming they (Parties) are all the same, seriously if you believe that then you deserve to go down with the ship ::)

To that person saying all Politics is local, well it's people like you who make it that way and spawn the Jackie Healy Rae's of this World.

To be honest I'm sick to the teeth of the bleeding heart emigrationists with their passport in their paw bleating on about how awful we all are while like all good rats they look  to jump ship when the going gets tough. The real people of value to this country are those who remain to work through the crap we are in, some by choice other s by lack of it, but all contributing in a real way to the improvement of this island.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 23, 2010, 04:21:09 PM
The Irish people have got what they deserve! I never voted FF and I have always been a strong anti FF person. Will I vote in the next election? No, I have my Visa and will be taking my professional ass to Toronto - Sorry folks but quiet frankly this evil little empire is where it deserves to be. The IMF demanding higher taxes on individuals and reduced public spending & the EU Partners taking swipes to make us less competitive on the Corporation Tax front. Fianna Fail have sunk this country economically in the same manner that the 3rd Reich suck Germany, so to those people claiming they (Parties) are all the same, seriously if you believe that then you deserve to go down with the ship ::)

To that person saying all Politics is local, well it's people like you who make it that way and spawn the Jackie Healy Rae's of this World.

To be honest I'm sick to the teeth of the bleeding heart emigrationists with their passport in their paw bleating on about how awful we all are while like all good rats they look  to jump ship when the going gets tough. The real people of value to this country are those who remain to work through the crap we are in, some by choice other s by lack of it, but all contributing in a real way to the improvement of this island.

So fearglasmor are you a child, a student, employed, retired, independently wealthy or on the dole?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

J70

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on November 23, 2010, 02:08:22 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on November 23, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 23, 2010, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on November 23, 2010, 12:17:34 PM
Answering the title of the thread i wont be doing it in this election.

Im a member of the FF party a delegate i think is my so called official title.
Ive never attended ard fheis but ive been at cumann and convention meetings.
Ive voted for them in the past but generally not all the time.
The reason im a delegate is well im carrying on a family tradition so that suits me fine.

I will be voting for a candidate from another party in the next election for the simple reason is this man helped three years ago when i needed help and it got me out of a hole at the time so thats why im voting for him.

You see thats politics in Ireland its local issues first national issues second followed by international issues.
We down here dont care what happens in dublin or cork no more than most people in dublin or cork dont care what happens down here.
Thats fact no matter what people say.

If we did care about the national interest we would be out in hundreds of thousands months ago with whats gone on in the past but you see we are just worried about our loacal issues like our local hospitals,roads,churches and whatever else we have that is on our doorstep thats why the protests only make it as far as the local town square.

I can guarentee you if this was any other european country there would be widescale protests and shutdowns but we are too me fein to do this.

About 7 or 8 years ago 100,000 people marched in dublin against the war in iraq.
Most of the people on that march didnt have some strong burning conviction against the war they just did cause it was the cool thing to do at the time and the anti US/Bush sentitiment was the feeling at the time.
Once the goverment line of the USA means jobs in ireland our protests dwindled fairly rapidly.

Ill give you one more example of local politics.
My maternal uncle died suddenly early this year and my mothers family is strong FG and my fathers is very strong FF.
Anyway all the top brass from the FG party within the county from TDs down to local party activists tirned up at he funeral while only the small fry from the FF party only turned up simply probably more out of friendship with my father more so than electioneering.
The FG delegation knew votes were to be had and were making sure they were safe guarding them.
Thats the way it is down here you see you are either one or the other there is very few in between all though it is changing slowly which is good.

Thats irish politics in a nutshell and until it is changed with local issues being dealt with locally and the national interest actually being dealt with first by an elected goverment well then im afraid ill be voting for the man/woman who helps get my potholes fixed and not because their economic policies make me feel good.
That will be the view of the majority who vote next year.
thats it in a nutshell. and its why this country is fucked unfortunately. very well put though.

Just telling it has it is.i will vote for someone in the national interest once our sysytem provides for that but at the moment its the person who will get the most done for my local community and region as a whole who will get it.
Am i unpatriotic?Maybe but so is the majority.

I don't think you're unpatriotic Rossie. You're using the system to your own best advantage.

The problem is that the system suits the individual and not the greater good. And that's why it needs reform.

That's the point I was trying to make last night. An anti-FF vote doesn't change anything, other than punish the current Government. The problem is bigger than deeper than just one Government or just one political party.

I know there's not much to distinguish the major Irish political parties in terms of domestic issues such as economics and thus voting for the local fellow who got the backroad tarred makes little difference, usually, in terms of Dail policies, but surely anyone with FF after their name should be anathema this time around, no matter what favour they did you! I'm from the same area as Mary Coughlin, and while she's very involved locally and obviously a source of pride for the area in ascending to Tanaiste, the only thing that should matter is her role in the government that oversaw this mess. She's in the Dail to legislate and govern, not to pull strings or do favours or make appearances. People need to cop on that the makeup of the Dail can actually have consequences in their own lives.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on November 23, 2010, 02:08:22 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on November 23, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 23, 2010, 12:30:58 PM
Quote from: rossie mad on November 23, 2010, 12:17:34 PM
Answering the title of the thread i wont be doing it in this election.

Im a member of the FF party a delegate i think is my so called official title.
Ive never attended ard fheis but ive been at cumann and convention meetings.
Ive voted for them in the past but generally not all the time.
The reason im a delegate is well im carrying on a family tradition so that suits me fine.

I will be voting for a candidate from another party in the next election for the simple reason is this man helped three years ago when i needed help and it got me out of a hole at the time so thats why im voting for him.

You see thats politics in Ireland its local issues first national issues second followed by international issues.
We down here dont care what happens in dublin or cork no more than most people in dublin or cork dont care what happens down here.
Thats fact no matter what people say.

If we did care about the national interest we would be out in hundreds of thousands months ago with whats gone on in the past but you see we are just worried about our loacal issues like our local hospitals,roads,churches and whatever else we have that is on our doorstep thats why the protests only make it as far as the local town square.

I can guarentee you if this was any other european country there would be widescale protests and shutdowns but we are too me fein to do this.

About 7 or 8 years ago 100,000 people marched in dublin against the war in iraq.
Most of the people on that march didnt have some strong burning conviction against the war they just did cause it was the cool thing to do at the time and the anti US/Bush sentitiment was the feeling at the time.
Once the goverment line of the USA means jobs in ireland our protests dwindled fairly rapidly.

Ill give you one more example of local politics.
My maternal uncle died suddenly early this year and my mothers family is strong FG and my fathers is very strong FF.
Anyway all the top brass from the FG party within the county from TDs down to local party activists tirned up at he funeral while only the small fry from the FF party only turned up simply probably more out of friendship with my father more so than electioneering.
The FG delegation knew votes were to be had and were making sure they were safe guarding them.
Thats the way it is down here you see you are either one or the other there is very few in between all though it is changing slowly which is good.

Thats irish politics in a nutshell and until it is changed with local issues being dealt with locally and the national interest actually being dealt with first by an elected goverment well then im afraid ill be voting for the man/woman who helps get my potholes fixed and not because their economic policies make me feel good.
That will be the view of the majority who vote next year.
thats it in a nutshell. and its why this country is fucked unfortunately. very well put though.

Just telling it has it is.i will vote for someone in the national interest once our sysytem provides for that but at the moment its the person who will get the most done for my local community and region as a whole who will get it.
Am i unpatriotic?Maybe but so is the majority.

I don't think you're unpatriotic Rossie. You're using the system to your own best advantage.

The problem is that the system suits the individual and not the greater good. And that's why it needs reform.

That's the point I was trying to make last night. An anti-FF vote doesn't change anything, other than punish the current Government. The problem is bigger than deeper than just one Government or just one political party.

Well I think he is being stupid and narrowminded. Taking the crumbs thrown from the table while the rest of us starve. Like the bishops used to take the few pennys from the landlord to keep the peasants quiet. The system may be wrong, corrupt and all the rest but does that excuse you morally of abusing it further?

An Anti FF vote does more than "punish" FF, it also gives a mandate to a new government in new times. And punishment is an important thing here too, when people fail in their jobs they need to be accountable. The bigger and harder the fall for FF the better it will be for Ireland as it shows the next government what happens when money, banks, greed and vested interests are put ahead of the people.

EddieMerx

Maybe we should all stay and add an extra couple of hundred thousand to the live register?? Calling people Rats for looking to earn a living is a nice way to carry yourself.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 23, 2010, 04:36:46 PM

Maybe we should all stay and add an extra couple of hundred thousand to the live register?? Calling people Rats for looking to earn a living is a nice way to carry yourself.

Ulick was making similar comments a few pages back, isn't it a great country, a government that wants 40,000 to leave a year, 450,000 on the dole and Irishmen call those who don't want to add to the dole queues rats and the likes.  >:(

Banana Man

simple solution, Emigrate to the North lads, sign on the dole, let the UK Government pay for you's, boost the nationalist population, vote for a united ireland, then get an election result where the new single Irish unionist party (based in Belfast obviously) would be the lead partner in any coalition and let them make the economic decisions as FF and FG can't.

Let them run the new Ireland and let the FG and FF lads worry about their own wee corner of Ireland and it's associated potholes.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Banana Man on November 23, 2010, 04:51:35 PM
simple solution, Emigrate to the North lads, sign on the dole, let the UK Government pay for you's, boost the nationalist population, vote for a united ireland, then get an election result where the new single Irish unionist party (based in Belfast obviously) would be the lead partner in any coalition and let them make the economic decisions as FF and FG can't.

Let them run the new Ireland and let the FG and FF lads worry about their own wee corner of Ireland and it's associated potholes.

Jesus Bananaman. You could be onto something there. It's as good a plan as any other I've heard this week.

seafoid

NI dole is only 60 GBP per week, no?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on November 23, 2010, 05:04:07 PM

Didn't want to be the one to point out the hole in the plan  ;D Now forget the dole, if you have jobs we could do up there, I reckon your plan might be on to something.

mc_grens

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 23, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 23, 2010, 12:10:55 PM

The principle of consent is one that is established however, as has been noted by LS, many in the south would likely, in the secrecy of a voting booth, vote against a UI in favour of saving a few cents. What I would like is for more people to be remember that if so many died for independence, what is a few cents in terms of a sacrifice in comparison? What I would like especially is for the mindset to change whereby people in the 26 counties would cease to see Irish people in the six counties as different and would cease to refer to people as "nordies" or "them up north" or "brits" (as I have been referred to on several occasions when in the 26 counties).

Cheap debating trick again. If I'm the father in a family and we can barely pay the mortgage, and so decide not to go to Disneyland with the kids next year - am I depriving my kids of happiness for the sake of "a few cents"?

This is not about the loose change at the bottom of our pocket. This is about another huge expense when we're already unable to pay the bills we have. In all this I stress that I'm not saying how I'd vote, merely that I think that the country as a whole would vote to leave the North where it is in the secrecy of the ballot box.

I note you chose to ignore my counterargument - if ye were allowed come south, but all public servants would have to go on the dole or find private sector employment, and the NHS would cease to exist so ye'd be forking out thousands in health insurance while also not getting treated for existing conditions - do you think the northern population would just look on their living wage as "a few cents?"

Incidentally I never realised that people from the six counties were offended at the term Nordie - I picked it up from this board so I presumed it was inoffensive - my apologies for that, genuinely.

I absolutely agree. As a Derry man living in Dublin I've commented before on here that I truly believe that were it put to a referendum in the the South they would vote NOT to take back Northern Ireland from the British.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mc_grens on November 23, 2010, 07:26:37 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on November 23, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 23, 2010, 12:10:55 PM

The principle of consent is one that is established however, as has been noted by LS, many in the south would likely, in the secrecy of a voting booth, vote against a UI in favour of saving a few cents. What I would like is for more people to be remember that if so many died for independence, what is a few cents in terms of a sacrifice in comparison? What I would like especially is for the mindset to change whereby people in the 26 counties would cease to see Irish people in the six counties as different and would cease to refer to people as "nordies" or "them up north" or "brits" (as I have been referred to on several occasions when in the 26 counties).

Cheap debating trick again. If I'm the father in a family and we can barely pay the mortgage, and so decide not to go to Disneyland with the kids next year - am I depriving my kids of happiness for the sake of "a few cents"?

This is not about the loose change at the bottom of our pocket. This is about another huge expense when we're already unable to pay the bills we have. In all this I stress that I'm not saying how I'd vote, merely that I think that the country as a whole would vote to leave the North where it is in the secrecy of the ballot box.

I note you chose to ignore my counterargument - if ye were allowed come south, but all public servants would have to go on the dole or find private sector employment, and the NHS would cease to exist so ye'd be forking out thousands in health insurance while also not getting treated for existing conditions - do you think the northern population would just look on their living wage as "a few cents?"

Incidentally I never realised that people from the six counties were offended at the term Nordie - I picked it up from this board so I presumed it was inoffensive - my apologies for that, genuinely.

I absolutely agree. As a Derry man living in Dublin I've commented before on here that I truly believe that were it put to a referendum in the the South they would vote NOT to take back Northern Ireland from the British.
same background as McGrens, I'd agree with him, i figured that out shortly after i came here

fearglasmor

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 23, 2010, 04:36:46 PM

No problem at all with anyone emigrating to find work. I did it myself in the 80's. What I object to is the superior shite  such as, I never voted for FF, people get what they deserve, this evil little empire  etc etc etc. You were just unlucky. Same as I was in the 80's. But please just get on with your life and dont be making derogatory remarks about people you know nothing about.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: seafoid on November 23, 2010, 05:04:07 PM

You bad hoor Bananaman. You were only trying to get into me knickers all the time.

Watching Prime Time now. Sapping my will to live. Jesus Jesus Jesus.