62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 21, 2010, 08:14:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2010, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on November 21, 2010, 06:13:09 PM
Quote from: turk on November 21, 2010, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 21, 2010, 12:25:35 PM
I am possibly going to vote for a Fianna Fail candidate in the next election. There, I've said it. It pains me to think I might vote for the party who have brought this country to ruin. But here's the thing, a local Fianna Fail TD managed to inform me of an entitlement others told me I wasn't entitled to. It has made a substantial difference to me. And that, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with Irish politics and I'm perpetuating it. This bit of work that my local Fianna Fail TD did for me shouldn't be their job. It ought to be the job of local councillors. But we've a political system where it is more important for TDs to do things at a local level than show leadership and nous in running the country. Of course it can be pointed out that if that's the way I feel, I ought to vote for someone else to change things. But I'm very grateful for the work that has been done. I would feel guilty if I didn't vote for this TD. It is a personal vote not a party one, although I know it amounts to the same thing. I haven't completely decided to go this way but its the way I'm leaning at the minute.

A few other points. I haven't voted FF all my life. I've mixed it between FF and FG. We've never had decent Labour options in Mayo. Although that is not the case next time around. I wouldn't vote for SF. If Ireland had a strong Labour Party - they sounded their own death knell by not contesting the 1921 elections, which is amazing really - then I feel we wouldn't be in the same situation as we are in now. But Labour have been too weak nationally. I hope that is about to change. Would FG have done a better job than FF. Probably but I cannot say that with the utmost confidence.

You're raising a correct point here. A lot of voters will vote for a candidate from their own town or area regardless of their party rather than choosing a party's policies and voting for that party's candidate. This is especially true in large constituencies and constituencies that cover more than one county. When the big freeze occured back in December and January, and also on a local hospital issues, the local FF councillors were seen to be active on these issues than their FG counterparts. FF will still get votes and seats on this basis.

On what other basis is there to get votes? People are voting for someone to represent their local area and are looking for someone who will promote their interests. Otherwise why bother having candidaes at all? Just let people pick a party instead?

They have bankrupted your local area, my local area and everyone else's local area.

I'm reading here that people will vote for a member of an organisation that has destroyed the country on the basis that they got a medical card/planning permission or whatever from that person.

That explains to me why Ireland is where it is and why it will never escape from corruption and croneyism.

Do you not think that it is more a case of it being the problem that I or you go to TDs with these problems? That our political system fosters this kind of representation. We will never get out of where we are while we have the quality of TDs that we have. 80% of whom are zero use at running the country. They get in and stay in based on being able to do some small bits locally. Parish pump politics. I understood completely how it appears I'm perpetuating this if I vote for someone with FF after their name.

Please help me understand what you are saying. Basically you say we are in the state we are in cos people stupidly vote for boys that do small jobs and this results in us having 80% of TD's that are not capable and then you say that you will vote for a person on that same premise. Does that not make your actions stupid? I think it does.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2010, 08:20:34 PM
Do you not think that it is more a case of it being the problem that I or you go to TDs with these problems? That our political system fosters this kind of representation. We will never get out of where we are while we have the quality of TDs that we have. 80% of whom are zero use at running the country. They get in and stay in based on being able to do some small bits locally. Parish pump politics. I understood completely how it appears I'm perpetuating this if I vote for someone with FF after their name.

I think Irish people are remarkably resourceful in finding excuses to vote for the most incompetent Government in our history and one of the most incompetent in European history.

100 years ago we were the poorest country in Europe, even poorer than Albania.
In nearly a century of independence we had grown to a position of relative (if only on paper) wealth.
Now we are on a rapid slide back to where we came from and still there are citizens who want to re-elect those who did this to us. The mind boggles.

The mind boggles is right, how FF are still at 17% is a mystery to me. This Goverment had brought Ireland over the cliff, with the "cute hoor nod and a wink politics". Be under no illusions taht this political shit goes right form the Taoiseach down to the local FF councillor on the town council, be it messing with planning permissions, getting someone the medical card, dole who, for what ever reason was not entitled to it. Dont even get me started on the builders and their state contracts time and time again regardless of the tender submitted (This is know from experience, are you listening Bernard?). Listening to the Radio today, it was stated that NAMA is free from ALL FOI requests under the legislation that set it up. This Gvoernment may be on its last legs but, my kids will have the legacy of our small town solicitors, publicans and teachers who have brought us to ruin.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 21, 2010, 08:31:49 PM
I am possibly going to vote for a Fianna Fail candidate in the next election. There, I've said it. It pains me to think I might vote for the party who have brought this country to ruin. But here's the thing, a local Fianna Fail TD managed to inform me of an entitlement others told me I wasn't entitled to. It has made a substantial difference to me. And that, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with Irish politics and I'm perpetuating it. This bit of work that my local Fianna Fail TD did for me shouldn't be their job. It ought to be the job of local councillors. But we've a political system where it is more important for TDs to do things at a local level than show leadership and nous in running the country. Of course it can be pointed out that if that's the way I feel, I ought to vote for someone else to change things. But I'm very grateful for the work that has been done. I would feel guilty if I didn't vote for this TD. It is a personal vote not a party one, although I know it amounts to the same thing. I haven't completely decided to go this way but its the way I'm leaning at the minute.

A few other points. I haven't voted FF all my life. I've mixed it between FF and FG. We've never had decent Labour options in Mayo. Although that is not the case next time around. I wouldn't vote for SF. If Ireland had a strong Labour Party - they sounded their own death knell by not contesting the 1921 elections, which is amazing really - then I feel we wouldn't be in the same situation as we are in now. But Labour have been too weak nationally. I hope that is about to change. Would FG have done a better job than FF. Probably but I cannot say that with the utmost confidence.

You're raising a correct point here. A lot of voters will vote for a candidate from their own town or area regardless of their party rather than choosing a party's policies and voting for that party's candidate. This is especially true in large constituencies and constituencies that cover more than one county. When the big freeze occured back in December and January, and also on a local hospital issues, the local FF councillors were seen to be active on these issues than their FG counterparts. FF will still get votes and seats on this basis.

On what other basis is there to get votes? People are voting for someone to represent their local area and are looking for someone who will promote their interests. Otherwise why bother having candidaes at all? Just let people pick a party instead?

They have bankrupted your local area, my local area and everyone else's local area.

I'm reading here that people will vote for a member of an organisation that has destroyed the country on the basis that they got a medical card/planning permission or whatever from that person.

That explains to me why Ireland is where it is and why it will never escape from corruption and croneyism.

Please help me understand what you are saying. Basically you say we are in the state we are in cos people stupidly vote for boys that do small jobs and this results in us having 80% of TD's that are not capable and then you say that you will vote for a person on that same premise. Does that not make your actions stupid? I think it does.

Okay. It might appear stupid if I vote because I received assistance. If I do vote for this reason it is because I will feel I owe that vote after the time I engaged and the benefit (rightly deserved but previously withheld) I received. The problem is, as I said, the system. A system which leaves work that could be done by county councillors in the hands of TDs is the problem. Half the TDs, scrap the senate and leave the TDs in Dublin. It would be a help.

Muppet don't make assumptions about me. You don't know me. I've said clearly what my opinion is of FF. If my vote goes the way it does, it is an entirely personel vote. It still mightn't go that way because of the FF name after the party. I might be many things here in this instance but a FF apologist I am not. If FF get votes based only on ppl who have received good assistance or advice like I have, then they'll be rightly out on their ear. I hope they are. As contradictory as that might sound.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

RGS I was speaking generally, not about you personally. Apologies if you thought I was guessing or whatever.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 21, 2010, 09:01:55 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 21, 2010, 08:31:49 PM

Okay. It might appear stupid if I vote because I received assistance. If I do vote for this reason it is because I will feel I owe that vote after the time I engaged and the benefit (rightly deserved but previously withheld) I received. The problem is, as I said, the system. A system which leaves work that could be done by county councillors in the hands of TDs is the problem. Half the TDs, scrap the senate and leave the TDs in Dublin. It would be a help.

Muppet don't make assumptions about me. You don't know me. I've said clearly what my opinion is of FF. If my vote goes the way it does, it is an entirely personel vote. It still mightn't go that way because of the FF name after the party. I might be many things here in this instance but a FF apologist I am not. If FF get votes based only on ppl who have received good assistance or advice like I have, then they'll be rightly out on their ear. I hope they are. As contradictory as that might sound.

I'd turn that on its head. The system is the way it is because politicians running for the Dail know that they must devote their time to relatively menial tasks for their constituents to get votes. By voting for this guy and at the same time deploring the policies his party has put forward you are part of the cause of the problem imo.

INDIANA

this is bigger then local issues. this is about voting liars, cheats and scumbags out. and FF cover all 3 of those

RedandGreenSniper

Maybe. So why are so many of those who go for the Dail only ever able for this type of role (parish pump) anyway? We attract the wrong type of politician because of our system. Its cause and effect where we disagree I suppose.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

I'll be giving Dara Calleary my vote in the next election because he has done lots for North Mayo and has been a sound lad any time I've met him. I won't be giving 2,3,4 to FF though, always base vote on the strength of the individual candidate.
All this is academic actually because I won't be home to vote anyways. Bondi beach in November...emigration can have it's perks :D

seafoid

Vote for FF is a vote for ineptitude, greed and incompetence
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Declan

It's akin to asking the people of Romania circa 1991 would they vote in Ceaucescu again. I could never understand the mindset of anyone who would consider giving them any preference after what they have done to the country.

This is what Lendahand said only last week!!
Nov 13, 2010 - - An EU bailout doesn't "make any sense" Lenihan: During the course of an interview with RTÉ Radio Minister Lenihan said "We've substantial reserves. We have the pension reserve fund. So this country is not in a situation or in a position where it is required in any way to apply for the facility. So why apply in those circumstances it doesn't seem to me to make any sense?"

Tubberman

It would bring you close to despair to see nearly a quarter of people here planning to vote for FF in the next election.
Do you not see where they have led us!!???

It's time for people to stop voting along family lines etc. A political party is not like a sports team, you don't have to stick by them no matter what. They are elected to lead the country. When the country is made bankrupt and in billions of euro of debt, they obviously failed in their job, and should be sacked - as in any other business.

I think people also need to take the view of voting for a party, rather than a candidate. e.g. Dara Calleary is a fine TD in Mayo, but I don't want to see FF returned to power, therefore I won't vote for Calleary. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ludermor

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 21, 2010, 08:32:26 PM

The mind boggles is right, how FF are still at 17% is a mystery to me. This Goverment had brought Ireland over the cliff, with the "cute hoor nod and a wink politics". Be under no illusions taht this political shit goes right form the Taoiseach down to the local FF councillor on the town council, be it messing with planning permissions, getting someone the medical card, dole who, for what ever reason was not entitled to it. Dont even get me started on the builders and their state contracts time and time again regardless of the tender submitted (This is know from experience, are you listening Bernard?). Listening to the Radio today, it was stated that NAMA is free from ALL FOI requests under the legislation that set it up. This Gvoernment may be on its last legs but, my kids will have the legacy of our small town solicitors, publicans and teachers who have brought us to ruin.
The sickening thing with Pierse and Mcnamaras going wallop recently is that they have been state funded over the last 2 years as the vast majorty of there work was govenrment (schools, hospitals & service stations). They severely undercut their competitors and were guarenteed payment yet still didnt pay their subbies. And when the next few go the same way ( with Walls, Elliots & Rhatigans aparently next in line) it will be more of the same.

seafoid

Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2010, 09:31:00 AM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 21, 2010, 08:32:26 PM

The sickening thing with Pierse and Mcnamaras going wallop recently is that they have been state funded over the last 2 years as the vast majorty of there work was govenrment (schools, hospitals & service stations). They severely undercut their competitors and were guarenteed payment yet still didnt pay their subbies. And when the next few go the same way ( with Walls, Elliots & Rhatigans aparently next in line) it will be more of the same.

there is an urgent need for a stimulus programme to get the economy growing again.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Canalman

Imo alot of people will differentiate between the local FF TD and the FF brand. The FF TDs on a personal basis and in general are by far the most personable and charismatic politicians in this state. They will get way more than 17% in the GE , but will lose alot of seats all the same.

SF will benefit alot from this FF dissatisfaction imo as I just can't see alot of FFers voting for FG(with all their historical baggage). They may not see a vote for SF as a "betrayal".

Labour just don't have the charismatic candidates to really exploit their poll ratings into seats.SF candidates likewise.

FF will imo take a beating in the GE, reflect, change the guard and will come storming back.

DuffleKing