24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

LeoMc

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 19, 2010, 10:51:28 PM
Switch things around and hypothetically imagine FG had been in power for the last 13 years. Do people genuinely believe that things would have worked out much differently?

This is not a loaded question, I genuinely don't know the answer but, Civil war aside, what is the difference between FF & FG?

In most democracies voters have a genuine choice. In Ireland it is either choosing from opposing sides from 1922 or on the other side of the border it is picking from 2 opposing sides from 1690.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2010, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 08:47:30 PM
So he is so petty he would force the country into further ruin just to spite someone he does not know or has a few pints on them. WOW Dev did a good job on them boys. When will the genepool admit they are wrong and then go crawl under a rock and have a little think about where they have led this country.

Er, where did I suggest that he was reacting to you personally?

You did give a hypothetical about if someone in the pub said the same to him.

That's fair enough. To flesh out what I said, he was planning for a while to vote for an Independent or not at all. But he's gotten to a point where being labelled a spiteful p***k (or whatever) for voting FF all his life has caused him to lash out. I've advised him not to read the Indo or go to politics.ie, but he will insist

deiseach

Quote from: LeoMc on November 20, 2010, 09:20:45 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 19, 2010, 10:51:28 PM
Switch things around and hypothetically imagine FG had been in power for the last 13 years. Do people genuinely believe that things would have worked out much differently?

This is not a loaded question, I genuinely don't know the answer but, Civil war aside, what is the difference between FF & FG?

In most democracies voters have a genuine choice. In Ireland it is either choosing from opposing sides from 1922 or on the other side of the border it is picking from 2 opposing sides from 1690.

None, if you're being honest. But let's think about this. What is the 'genuine choice' between (say) the Christian Democrats and the Social Democrats in Germany? The last general election there saw them running against each other even though they'd spent five years in government together! And before knocking the politics of the Civil War, it was that which spared us from the ideological divisions that tore Europe apart in the 1930's and 1940's.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2010, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 08:47:30 PM
So he is so petty he would force the country into further ruin just to spite someone he does not know or has a few pints on them. WOW Dev did a good job on them boys. When will the genepool admit they are wrong and then go crawl under a rock and have a little think about where they have led this country.

Er, where did I suggest that he was reacting to you personally?

You did give a hypothetical about if someone in the pub said the same to him.

That's fair enough. To flesh out what I said, he was planning for a while to vote for an Independent or not at all. But he's gotten to a point where being labelled a spiteful p***k (or whatever) for voting FF all his life has caused him to lash out. I've advised him not to read the Indo or go to politics.ie, but he will insist

Ha ha, I can't read the Indo, esp. the Sindo because I think its the Irish Press in disguise. Fair enough keep him away for the Free press on Politics.ie  ;)

But does he accept that he was wrong to vote FF? does he still revere Charlie Haughey and Bertie Ahern? (I don't consider the two Brians bad men, just usless ones).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 09:51:05 PM
But does he accept that he was wrong to vote FF? does he still revere Charlie Haughey and Bertie Ahern? (I don't consider the two Brians bad men, just usless ones).

He accepts Haughey was a thief and Ahern was in cahoots with pirates. He does not accept he was wrong to vote FF all his life

bcarrier

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2010, 10:02:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 09:51:05 PM

He accepts Haughey was a thief and Ahern was in cahoots with pirates. He does not accept he was wrong to vote FF all his life

Hey sorry I should have been more specific, a maybe on 1997, quite likely 2002, most certainly and it was obvious beforehand in 2007. A vote for Charlie was wrong too, I don't blame him for Lemass, Lynch or Reynolds, they would not be my choice but they wherent rotten to their very core like the twin vampires Haughey and Ahern, with not a drop of true patriotism in their blood bar a bit of wrap the Green flag round me boys bullshit.

Ulick

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 12:36:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on November 20, 2010, 01:07:17 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 19, 2010, 11:34:27 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on November 19, 2010, 11:29:20 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2010, 11:25:30 PM
The sneaky FF voter, none have the courage to even comment as to why! You'll get the same at the elections too.

Is rising Mayo God Help Us not reason enough?

O don't worry about me I have left the country with hundreds of thousands of others, I can't hack those FF snakes any longer. At least my emmigration helps FF in their OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICY OF EMMIGRATION.

So let me get this right, you have abandoned your country and then you choose to come on here to pass comment on those who choose to stay? That seems like the good old fashioned patriotic thing to do alright.
O I get it Ulick you want me to come back and join the other 450,000 on the live register, now that would be really patriotic. I have had to leave the country I love because of those FIANNA FAIL c***ts, I HATE THEM AND AM ANGRY, I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE TO EMMIGRATE, f**k THEM b**tards AND THE HORSE THEY RODE IN ON. IF YOU VOTE FOR THESE PRICKS I HATE YOU TOO.

If more people stayed to stand their ground instead of scurrying off when things got tough then we probably wouldn't be in this mess. If you want to put your personal well-being before that of your country fair enough but don't expect those of us who stay behind to give a f**k about who you think we should vote for.

Pangurban

FF died with Sean Lemass, since then they have just been a cabal of Mohair suited gangsters. They fact that they were still able to maintain their control of Irish Politics is a reflection of the awfulness of the opposition. Expect neither of these positions to change  in the short to medium term, as a univocal O Reilly controlled media will combine with them to savage the only radical alternative. But the first speckles of light from a new dawn is slowly becoming visible

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Ulick on November 21, 2010, 12:20:12 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 20, 2010, 12:36:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on November 20, 2010, 01:07:17 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 19, 2010, 11:34:27 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on November 19, 2010, 11:29:20 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2010, 11:25:30 PM
The sneaky FF voter, none have the courage to even comment as to why! You'll get the same at the elections too.

Is rising Mayo God Help Us not reason enough?

O don't worry about me I have left the country with hundreds of thousands of others, I can't hack those FF snakes any longer. At least my emmigration helps FF in their OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICY OF EMMIGRATION.

So let me get this right, you have abandoned your country and then you choose to come on here to pass comment on those who choose to stay? That seems like the good old fashioned patriotic thing to do alright.
O I get it Ulick you want me to come back and join the other 450,000 on the live register, now that would be really patriotic. I have had to leave the country I love because of those FIANNA FAIL c***ts, I HATE THEM AND AM ANGRY, I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE TO EMMIGRATE, f**k THEM b**tards AND THE HORSE THEY RODE IN ON. IF YOU VOTE FOR THESE PRICKS I HATE YOU TOO.

If more people stayed to stand their ground instead of scurrying off when things got tough then we probably wouldn't be in this mess. If you want to put your personal well-being before that of your country fair enough but don't expect those of us who stay behind to give a f**k about who you think we should vote for.

You need to wise up Ulick, have you got a job in Ireland, do ya? I don't want to be on the dole in Ireland, I will work where I can get it, because of this Governments reckless cruelty. I was volunteer for several organisations before I left Ireland, giving my time for free. Ulick your a giant jackass.

By the way Ulick it is OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICY to have 40,000 emmigrants a year for the next 4 years, YES OFFICIAL.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

RedandGreenSniper

I am possibly going to vote for a Fianna Fail candidate in the next election. There, I've said it. It pains me to think I might vote for the party who have brought this country to ruin. But here's the thing, a local Fianna Fail TD managed to inform me of an entitlement others told me I wasn't entitled to. It has made a substantial difference to me. And that, in a nutshell, is what is wrong with Irish politics and I'm perpetuating it. This bit of work that my local Fianna Fail TD did for me shouldn't be their job. It ought to be the job of local councillors. But we've a political system where it is more important for TDs to do things at a local level than show leadership and nous in running the country. Of course it can be pointed out that if that's the way I feel, I ought to vote for someone else to change things. But I'm very grateful for the work that has been done. I would feel guilty if I didn't vote for this TD. It is a personal vote not a party one, although I know it amounts to the same thing. I haven't completely decided to go this way but its the way I'm leaning at the minute.

A few other points. I haven't voted FF all my life. I've mixed it between FF and FG. We've never had decent Labour options in Mayo. Although that is not the case next time around. I wouldn't vote for SF. If Ireland had a strong Labour Party - they sounded their own death knell by not contesting the 1921 elections, which is amazing really - then I feel we wouldn't be in the same situation as we are in now. But Labour have been too weak nationally. I hope that is about to change. Would FG have done a better job than FF. Probably but I cannot say that with the utmost confidence.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Donnellys Hollow

Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are two sides of the same coin as far as I'm concerned. The carry-on in the courtyard of Leinster House after the heave against Kenny last summer suggests to me that there'll be no change from the bullsh1t parish-pump politics that has got us into this mess.

There appears to be no viable alternative though. Labour and Gilmore talk a good game but will he have the balls to face down the unions when the cuts have to be made? I doubt it. The Greens have dug their own grave and I will never vote for Sinn Féin.

To answer the original question, I have never voted for FF and I probably never will. I haven't a strong notion who I'll vote for in the next election. At this stage I will probably vote for an Independent candidate.  :-\
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maguire01

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 21, 2010, 12:49:13 PM
Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are two sides of the same coin as far as I'm concerned. The carry-on in the courtyard of Leinster House after the heave against Kenny last summer suggests to me that there'll be no change from the bullsh1t parish-pump politics that has got us into this mess.

There appears to be no viable alternative though. Labour and Gilmore talk a good game but will he have the balls to face down the unions when the cuts have to be made? I doubt it. The Greens have dug their own grave and I will never vote for Sinn Féin.

To answer the original question, I have never voted for FF and I probably never will. I haven't a strong notion who I'll vote for in the next election. At this stage I will probably vote for an Independent candidate.  :-\
Isn't an independent candidate even more likely to perpetuate the 'parish-pump politics'?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 21, 2010, 12:55:00 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 21, 2010, 12:49:13 PM

Isn't an independent candidate even more likely to perpetuate the 'parish-pump politics'?

Hence the  :-\

I trust none of the parties to run the country properly. It irritates me to have to vote independent but it's either that or not vote at all as far as I'm concerned.

The whole political system in this country needs a wholesale change. How this could be achieved? God only knows
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?