Total Members Voted: 182

muppet

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 10:05:41 AM
The options are getting slim.
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke
And now opinion of SF has been revised significantly downward

This, or some version of it, is going be a problem for an awful lot of people next time out.

I think there will be even more independents for a while.
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on December 07, 2013, 01:00:17 AM
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke

This, or some version of it, is going be a problem for an awful lot of people next time out.

Then the question is simple. Would voters be happier if gerry wasnt the leader of sinn fein?

No matter what sinn fein voters think there simply arent enough of us at present to push on to government maybe a sacrafice is needed
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 07, 2013, 09:20:55 AM
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke

Then the question is simple. Would voters be happier if gerry wasnt the leader of sinn fein?

No matter what sinn fein voters think there simply arent enough of us at present to push on to government maybe a sacrafice is needed
I think SF would attract some more voters in the south without the likes of Adams. Some will cite Adams as a barrier but wouldn't vote for SF regardless. They won't become the largest party or lead a government for the forseeable future either way.

But I suspect there's a but of 'cutting off their nose to spite their face' with SF's current position - they don't want it to be seen for Adams to leave when the pressure's on, and they're prepared to sacrifice some votes and soak up political and media attacks to that end. But he's going to have to move at some point - not sure how / if they'll get the timing right on that one.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lawnseed on December 07, 2013, 09:20:55 AM
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke

I'd say many more would.
Gerry's past was controversial, to say the very least, and few if any believe his denial of involvement ion the abduction and murder of Jean McConville and the other Disappeared.
There probably wouldn't be a massive jump in support or SF when he finally buggers off the scene but more people would be prepared to consider the Shinners' political policies in their own right.
People down here are very concerned about our present economic difficulties and Adams & Co. are simply not getting their vision message across. 
I'd say if you did a vox pop anywhere in the south right now, less than 5% of the public would have a clue about SF's policies on the bailout, emigration, education and all other issues than concern us.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 07, 2013, 10:39:44 AM

I'd say if you did a vox pop anywhere in the south right now, less than 5% of the public would have a clue about SF's policies on the bailout, emigration, education and all other issues than concern us.

Sinn Fein in the South remind me some people in our community who would be big GAA people, know everything about the game inside out. They would also be involved with the local soccer club where they would give a hand in running it. But unlike the GAA which is second nature from birth, they have came on this game later in life, the culture is not in their bones and they struggle to get a grip it's mindset of a different sport.

lawnseed

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 07, 2013, 12:53:36 PM

Sinn Fein in the South remind me some people in our community who would be big GAA people, know everything about the game inside out. They would also be involved with the local soccer club where they would give a hand in running it. But unlike the GAA which is second nature from birth, they have came on this game later in life, the culture is not in their bones and they struggle to get a grip it's mindset of a different sport.
They have a website.. They have councillors/tds/meetings would yez not get motivated about your own country/future and try to find out something before ye follow the sheep into the polling booth
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Nally Stand

Gerry's past was controversial, to say the very least
So was Nelson Mandela's.

and few if any believe his denial of involvement ion the abduction and murder of Jean McConville and the other Disappeared.
Why do you personally believe he was involved in the above? Is it because Brendan Hughes (who despised Adams in recent years) said so or have you got other evidence? (And I mean evidence, not "the media keeping telling me so"). I assume you also totally believe that Jean McConville was an informer then and that "few if any would doubt it"?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 07, 2013, 11:16:31 PM
So was Nelson Mandela's.

Gerry Adams is no Nelson Mandela.

The only Irish person that comes close is John Hume.

MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2013, 12:26:55 AM
So was Nelson Mandela's.

Sweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!! Normally, freestate-ism annoys me, but sometimes it's just f***ing hilarious!!! John Hume more similar to Nelson Mandela than Adams is?! FFS!!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteSweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!!

This isn't "revisionism", people always thought this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2013, 01:09:17 AM
QuoteSweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!!

This isn't "revisionism", people always thought this.

It's a first to me!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 08, 2013, 01:01:46 AM
So was Nelson Mandela's.

Sweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!! Normally, freestate-ism annoys me, but sometimes it's just f***ing hilarious!!! John Hume more similar to Nelson Mandela than Adams?! FFS!!!

"I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I came out of jail, many people embraced me, including my enemies, and that is what I normally tell other people who say those who are struggling for liberation in their country are terrorists. I tell them that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one." John Hume Nelson Mandela

I must deal immediately and at some length with the question of violence. Some of the things so far told to the court are true and some are untrue. I do not, however, deny that I planned sabotage. I did not plan it in a spirit of recklessness, nor because I have any love of violence. I planned it as a result of a calm and sober assessment of the political situation that had arisen after many years of tyranny, exploitation, and oppression of my people John Hume Nelson Mandela

"Force is the only language the imperialists can hear, and no country became free without some sort of violence." John Hume Nelson Mandela

armaghniac

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 08, 2013, 01:32:16 AM
So was Nelson Mandela's.

Sweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!! Normally, freestate-ism annoys me, but sometimes it's just f***ing hilarious!!! John Hume more similar to Nelson Mandela than Adams?! FFS!!!

"I was called a terrorist yesterday, but when I came out of jail, many people embraced me, including my enemies, and that is what I normally tell other people who say those who are struggling for liberation in their country are terrorists. I tell them that I was also a terrorist yesterday, but, today, I am admired by the very people who said I was one." John Hume Nelson Mandela

I must deal immediately and at some length with the question of violence. Some of the things so far told to the court are true and some are untrue. I do not, however, deny that I planned sabotage. I did not plan it in a spirit of recklessness, nor because I have any love of violence. I planned it as a result of a calm and sober assessment of the political situation that had arisen after many years of tyranny, exploitation, and oppression of my people John Hume Nelson Mandela

"Force is the only language the imperialists can hear, and no country became free without some sort of violence." John Hume Nelson Mandela

Mandela said these things. But these were not the things that made him great. It was his analysis of how to solve the problem that made him great, which is why he was closer to Hume than Adams.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

So was Nelson Mandela's.

Sweet f**k! Revisionism has just reached a spectacular new height here!! Normally, freestate-ism annoys me, but sometimes it's just f***ing hilarious!!! John Hume more similar to Nelson Mandela than Adams is?! FFS!!!
I think it's probably in reference to their ability to reach out to and try to make peace with their enemies, rather than the path they took in the past, that has people draw a parallel between Mandela and Hume. Adams still manages to antagonise his 'enemies' on a regular basis.

muppet

So was Nelson Mandela's.

You look at Mandela and only see a former 'terrorist'.

That is very sad.
MWWSI 2017