Total Members Voted: 182

lawnseed

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 10:05:41 AM
The options are getting slim.
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke
And now opinion of SF has been revised significantly downward

wait a minute.. your saying that your a ff voter..? why wont you vote for them again?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

fearglasmor

Quote from: lawnseed on December 05, 2013, 10:08:56 AM
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke

wait a minute.. your saying that your a ff voter..? why wont you vote for them again?

Because at one time I believed they were the most capable political party in ROI.  I dont believe that any more.
I am old that enough that for me never to vote for them again is reasonable period of exile.

lawnseed

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 10:20:04 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on December 05, 2013, 10:08:56 AM
Cant stand FG
Will never vote FF again
Labour are a joke

Because at one time I believed they were the most capable political party in ROI.  I dont believe that any more.
I am old that enough that for me never to vote for them again is reasonable period of exile.
what did they do for you that made you think they were the 'most capable' was there anything you could point to eg medical card for a relative.. planning.. bin collection..
I not making fun of you.. Im serious was it a family thing what attracted you?

fearglasmor

[/quote]
what did they do for you that made you think they were the 'most capable' was there anything you could point to eg medical card for a relative.. planning.. bin collection..
[/quote]

No recollection of any personal family "favours" from politicians.
There was a historical element, my grandfather carried arms for the Old IRA and I remember him being a big Dev supporter. That transferred to my mother and on to me. In my own youth I remember CJH as a brilliant politician and economist and his involvement in the Arms Trial added a bit of a dangerous edge that was attractive to an immature youth with republican sympathies. I grew up at a time when civil war politics were still very raw (and that not so long ago) so if you supported one side you hated the other, well in my house anyway.
It all started to fall apart with the dismantling of CJH and Bertie and McCreevey just killed it.

lawnseed

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 01:54:06 PM

[/quote]

There was a historical element, my grandfather carried arms for the Old IRA and I remember him being a big Dev supporter. That transferred to my mother and on to me. In my own youth I remember CJH as a brilliant politician and economist and his involvement in the Arms Trial added a bit of a dangerous edge that was attractive to an immature youth with republican sympathies. I grew up at a time when civil war politics were still very raw (and that not so long ago) so if you supported one side you hated the other, well in my house anyway.
It all started to fall apart with the dismantling of CJH and Bertie and McCreevey just killed it.
[/quote]
you now realise the three names above are now lower than a snakes belly and that dev was probably a double agent working for the brits who put countless old ira men to their deaths and who stole money donated by americans for the irish public.
I would hope that you would realise that the combined efforts of ff fg and labour to corner/embarrass Gerry adams are based on a fear of sinn fein gaining in the polls and nothing to do with his niece or the mcconville family or the families of the two police killed in south Armagh. expect more and more of the same as the election nears and don't forget but for sinn fein's intervention Irelands current president would be a ff bagman.. that's how easily it is to cod the irish voter

AZOffaly

Lawnseed, the only correct answer as far as you are concerned is that we will all vote Sinn Fein now and forever after. We get it.

Tubberman

Quote from: lawnseed on December 05, 2013, 02:31:26 PM

[/quote]
you now realise the three names above are now lower than a snakes belly and that dev was probably a double agent working for the brits who put countless old ira men to their deaths and who stole money donated by americans for the irish public.
I would hope that you would realise that the combined efforts of ff fg and labour to corner/embarrass Gerry adams are based on a fear of sinn fein gaining in the polls and nothing to do with his niece or the mcconville family or the families of the two police killed in south Armagh. expect more and more of the same as the election nears and don't forget but for sinn fein's intervention Irelands current president would be a ff bagman.. that's how easily it is to cod the irish voter
[/quote]

Are you not Irish? Do you not vote?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nally Stand

There was a historical element, my grandfather carried arms for the Old IRA and I remember him being a big Dev supporter.

But didn't you say, over on the other thread, that the people of the 26 counties "have no interest in violence"? Odd that you would have chosen your political party largely based on it's links to violence!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lawnseed

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2013, 02:44:33 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]
perhaps you Mexicans will let us nordies elect our president next time

fearglasmor

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 05, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
There was a historical element, my grandfather carried arms for the Old IRA and I remember him being a big Dev supporter.

But didn't you say, over on the other thread, that the people of the 26 counties "have no interest in violence"? Odd that you would have chosen your political party largely based on it's links to violence!

Actually I should have said "stomach for" rather than "interest in" and I was referring to today rather than the past. The reality is that like most people my politics and religion were inherited rather than chosen. I have now rejected both  and some of the things that held some attraction in my youth no longer mean anything. Time and circumstance can change perspectives.

fearglasmor

Quote from: lawnseed on December 05, 2013, 03:03:07 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2013, 02:44:33 PM

[/quote]
perhaps you Mexicans will let us nordies elect our president next time
[/quote]

Actually I completely agree about the treatment of Adams by competing politicians. Its all completely cynical and self serving. The use of the issue of his brother by politicians is stomach churning and just compounds my own cynicism towards politics in general.

Maguire01

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 03:42:00 PM
Actually I completely agree about the treatment of Adams by competing politicians. Its all completely cynical and self serving. The use of the issue of his brother by politicians is stomach churning and just compounds my own cynicism towards politics in general.
Of course politicians are scoring political points - that's the nature of the beast. But you're wrong on the issue with his brother - on a number of fronts it's very much a public interest issue, and very much open to scrutiny.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 05, 2013, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 05, 2013, 03:42:00 PM
Of course politicians are scoring political points - that's the nature of the beast. But you're wrong on the issue with his brother - on a number of fronts it's very much a public interest issue, and very much open to scrutiny.

I agree with you on both counts.
One doesn't have to condone the killings in order to agree with Adams that "Here they were in the heart of south Armagh in the middle of a very, very severe conflict at that time and seemed to think that they were immune to attack by the IRA and tragically, as it turned out for them, that wasn't the case."
It's hard to credit that neither the RUC nor the Gardai saw any need to provide the pair with protection of any sort as they drove about openly in south Armagh.
The officers in question were certainly guilty of an error of judgement; I can't agree that they were responsible for their own deaths but they made it easier for the IRA to stage the fatal ambush.
AFAIK, not a single political spokesperson south of the border acknowledged this fact when they attacked Adams over his statement.
But my qualified agreement doesn't stretch as far as the role he played in covering up his brother's abuse of his niece. There are lots of questions arising from this that he may yet be obliged to answer.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fearglasmor

I don't know the intimate details of what went on with Adams and his brother but if he has questions to answer then absolutely they should be asked and answered in a law court.

My only problem is that I don't believe the motives of Dail politicians are anything to do with justice for his niece.

Maguire01

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 06, 2013, 02:00:57 PM
I don't know the intimate details of what went on with Adams and his brother but if he has questions to answer then absolutely they should be asked and answered in a law court.

My only problem is that I don't believe the motives of Dail politicians are anything to do with justice for his niece.
But it's not just about justice for his niece, and it's not just a matter for the law courts. He's a politician - a would-be Taoiseach - if there are questions over his integrity or credibility, then it's fair game for politicians.