Maybe at some time in the future
24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Maguire01

Fianna Fail will no doubt have a sly smile as they look on at what's happening in Iceland - the parties blamed for their meltdown set to be back in power - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22320282

Is this people with short memories or a realisation that the opposition didn't have all the answers either?

Hardy

Well, I don't know if Iceland has the Sinn Féin phenomenon - an opposition so lacking in credibility that even the perpetrators of the greatest economic collapse in its history are seen as the preferable option.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 11:45:04 AM
Well, I don't know if Iceland has the Sinn Féin phenomenon - an opposition so lacking in credibility that even the perpetrators of the greatest economic collapse in its history are seen as the preferable option.

Or to paraphrase....an electorate with their heads so far up their own arse with self-righteousness, that they swallow every cliched soundbite about SF's economic literacy that the media trot out and yet willingly vote in droves for a party which bankrupted the place because, well, daddy/grandaddy have voted for them since the civil war.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 11:52:45 AM

Or to paraphrase....an electorate with their heads so far up their own arse with self-righteousness, that they swallow every cliched soundbite about SF's economic literacy that the media trot out and yet willingly vote in droves for a party which bankrupted the place because, well, daddy/grandaddy have voted for them since the civil war.

That is precisely how most of the electorate think SF sees them. It is incredible that anyone sees FF as better though. I would rather have a flock of scraggy sheep in Government.

Maybe it is time for a National Government or the US system whereby the President nominates and the Senate (Dáil) vets and approves non-politicians.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I've been a proponent of that for a while muppet. Let's have a government led by a man who's elected by the whole country, but have a smaller Dail, made up of non party aligned TDs who vote according to their conscience on specific measures. No party whips, no opposition for the sake of it. Just a group of independants voting on measures which will hopefully benefit the country.

Of course, the drawback there is that populist measures, such as those introduced by the FF government back in the 90s may well get too much support. We've seen back then that very few people were saying stop when things were good, and most of those were not in the Dail. I'd hope that with a smaller Dail, and with no political parties, the best people would be leading the country, not a bunch of people who happen to be in the right party at the time.

Hardy

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 11:52:45 AM

I sympathise with the dilemma of people trying to make the choice between the economic policies of a gangster in a mohair suit, who will pauperise them for venal motives and an idiot in a hoodie who will do it for ideological ones. I couldn't vote for either, but I'm not surprised that many opt for the former, simply on the basis that at least his supporters are not insulting, abusing and name-calling them at the same time.

AZOffaly

Talk about hard work! Yesterday seems to have been the Fianna Fail church gate collection, at least it was here in Newport. To say business wasn't exactly brisk would be an understatement. In fairness to the poor auld divils at the biscuit tins, at least they are standing up for their beliefs in public. I can imagine some of the comments.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 05:32:30 PM
Talk about hard work! Yesterday seems to have been the Fianna Fail church gate collection, at least it was here in Newport. To say business wasn't exactly brisk would be an understatement. In fairness to the poor auld divils at the biscuit tins, at least they are standing up for their beliefs in public. I can imagine some of the comments.

I was at a school open day attended by a few local TDs from different parties, including a Minister. Times have changed as in the past these lads would go out of their way to shake hands with anything with a pulse, or more importantly, a vote. They all kept a very low profile.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 05:32:30 PM

Sadly, (f the polls are to be believed) around one in four of these comments would probably have been "you've got my vote next time lads".

:-[
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

AZOffaly

I must say it didn't look like that in my highly unscientific survey. From the time I got out of my car in the carpark to walking past the lads with the tins, I reckon 30 people were ahead of me. None donated.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 05:52:10 PM
I must say it didn't look like that in my highly unscientific survey. From the time I got out of my car in the carpark to walking past the lads with the tins, I reckon 30 people were ahead of me. None donated.

Lots of €20 notes in the tin I passed by. Fair few €10 notes as well. My oul fella is staunch FF and gave his usual donation of €5.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 13, 2013, 08:37:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Lots of €20 notes in the tin I passed by. Fair few €10 notes as well. My oul fella is staunch FF and gave his usual donation of €5.

No chance the Fianna Failures threw a few €uro notes in there to give the impression that they were not so toxic for the gullible to swallow.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

get them back.. ye lot deserve them. all pigs on the one sow
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

thejuice

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/ireland-its-a-great-country-for-a-criminal-29260026.html

'Ireland? It's a great country for a criminal'
Our lenient justice system continues to attract hordes of foreign criminals who rob and scam people and businesses of millions each year, writes Jim Cusack

This makes pretty grim reading and just another pillar of the Irish state that FF were happy to let crumble. Of course Shatter isn't doing much about it either. Irrespective of whether criminals are homegrown or foreign we are simply not apply appropriate justice and haven't been for some time. It's a mess and there is no one to fix it.

I think the turnout at the next elections may well be at an all time low.

It's little wonder when you read it that article that there is a general swing further to the right across Europe rightly or wrongly.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016