Maybe at some time in the future
24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Rossfan

Some one has to represent the interests/feather the nests of the builders/developers/publicans and all the other gombeen cnuts  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Premier Emperor

Fine Gael have been even worse than Fianna Fail.
There are no alternatives.

LeoMc

Quote from: Tubberman on February 18, 2013, 10:28:57 AM
Quote from: Canalman on February 18, 2013, 10:13:14 AM

Fine Gael have never been re- elected to Government. Why is that ?

For me it has no real reason to exist except a hatred of deValera and by continuation FF. Not good enough these days.

What reason does FF have to exist? Far less if you ask me.

FF/FG, opposite sides of the same civil war coin.
Both born of the same early post-independence attitude of "at least he's one of our own" and both survive because we have a great tolerance for parish pump politicians "he is a great mad to sort out your problems with the council".
The Irish have never minded dodgy dealings so long as they are on the inside track.

Tubberman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 18, 2013, 10:37:09 AM

Look, I don't think there's any huge difference between the two, but I don't see how you can say FG have been worse than FF.
FF bankrupted the country ffs!! FG/Lab govt has had to implement unpopular decisions precisely because of the FF f**k ups.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 18, 2013, 10:37:09 AM

Even worse - don't think so. Just as bad I could accept. Even worse is what closet FF voters say to justify their stupidity. FF and FG should amalgamate, there is no difference between them ideologically. Labour are the big let down, showing they can be just as useless as the other two. Is there no party that will work for the better of the people of Ireland?

Premier Emperor

I remember in previous elections Fine Gael were promising tax cuts and spending increases just like Fianna Fail.
The country would have ended up in the same situation.

deiseach

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
Even worse - don't think so. Just as bad I could accept. Even worse is what closet FF voters say to justify their stupidity. FF and FG should amalgamate, there is no difference between them ideologically. Labour are the big let down, showing they can be just as useless as the other two. Is there no party that will work for the better of the people of Ireland?

I think there is a large constituency in FG that not only thinks the austerity is necessary but thinks it is virtuous. If you're poor, it's because you are lazy and feckless and it's about time you had the safety net removed. I don't think there is any such attitude in Labour, so what their excuse for the slash-and-burn policies is, I don't know.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: deiseach on February 18, 2013, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

I think there is a large constituency in FG that not only thinks the austerity is necessary but thinks it is virtuous. If you're poor, it's because you are lazy and feckless and it's about time you had the safety net removed. I don't think there is any such attitude in Labour, so what their excuse for the slash-and-burn policies is, I don't know.

Labour are part of it. If they want out they know what to do. Seems to me their principles were sacrificed for power. That's why they are being hammered in the polls. At least FG are just doing what most sane people know they will do, piss on the poor. Labour on the other hand tell us one thing and do the other.

deiseach

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 18, 2013, 11:15:42 AM
Labour are part of it. If they want out they know what to do. Seems to me their principles were sacrificed for power. That's why they are being hammered in the polls. At least FG are just doing what most sane people know they will do, piss on the poor. Labour on the other hand tell us one thing and do the other.

Sounds about right to me. I voted Labour in the last election and am bitterly regretting it.

Declan

A thread about Fianna Fail and we end u[p talking about FG and Lab. No wonder we're Fubarred

Canalman

Fianna Fáil when formed represented the "small guys" in the State........... the small farmer, agricultural labourer, the labourers, tradesmen, urban industrial class etc. Fine Gael were the merchant princes, big farmers, Clongowes boys, Castle Catholics ............all with  ingrained utter contempt for the not so well off here in Ireland.

As the losing side in the Civil War it got a devoted loyalty from its supporters which by and large has not gone away despite the mess they made in the last 10/15 years.

Fine Gael can sneer away but they just don't have it in their DNA to govern. FG gets in to power every now and then when people get tired of FF.

FF will return to the  35%40%  election vote shortly enough mark my words.

Personally can see FF storming back in the next decade lean and mean again.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on February 17, 2013, 10:01:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 17, 2013, 05:57:41 PM
Maybe it would be better if FF got in at the next election. The economy will still be fucked and another 5 years of their ineptitude and gombeen clientilism could finish them off for good.
What makes you think that seafood, if bankrupting the country is not enough to finish them off then nothing will. Unfortunately there are a hard core of 20% of ff supporters who are simply retarded morons and they deserve what the recession gives them.
Whoever faces FF in any election in the future has very rich ad material in what happened 2008-09.
But a lot of people will vote for them regardless. I blame the education system.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on February 18, 2013, 12:03:41 PM

We'll see, but I doubt it. For a lot of people the habit has been broken. They gave someone other than FF their number 1 in the last election and the polling booth wasn't struck by a lightning bolt. In addition, FF is a hollowed-out party. The infrastructure that dominated Irish politics has been badly weakened. There is one FF councillor on Waterford City Council. It's not much of a platform on which to base any storming back.

Tubberman

Fianna Fáil when formed represented the "small guys" in the State........... the small farmer, agricultural labourer, the labourers, tradesmen, urban industrial class etc. Fine Gael were the merchant princes, big farmers, Clongowes boys, Castle Catholics ............all with  ingrained utter contempt for the not so well off here in Ireland.

As the losing side in the Civil War it got a devoted loyalty from its supporters which by and large has not gone away despite the mess they made in the last 10/15 years.

Fine Gael can sneer away but they just don't have it in their DNA to govern. FG gets in to power every now and then when people get tired of FF.

Are you on a wind-up?? There's so much wrong with that post...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: Tubberman on February 18, 2013, 12:19:39 PM

Are you on a wind-up?? There's so much wrong with that post...

It's very true till the last 2 lines and they're just opinions/predictions which will be proved/disproved in time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM