Maybe at some time in the future
24 (13.2%)
No never again
52 (28.6%)
I never have
62 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Orangemac

Labour we know are trying to be populist constantly but Fine Gael have let themselves down badly with this charade.

If they are against the Finance Bill, vote against it. The election will come soon enough and the first thing they can do is to draft their own budget.

It is easy for SF to say the deal is bad, they will not have to have to make this call. You would hope that behind the official line, FG are planning to negotiate both the interest on the loan and forcing senior bondholders to take a hit.

The IMF seem to have been overruled by the EU in this regard but both realise the government were on their last legs and the deal is not going to collapse for the sake of a few weeks.

If not will FG be much better than FF?

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 25, 2011, 10:50:09 PM
Muppet - all ifs and buts. Parties need to have some integrity and act on what they believe in. The imf and eu can bloody wait until the democratic wheels have turned. A government with no real mandate putting through this bill is more akin to Zimbabwe I reckon.

My Zimbabwe analogy was with their economy, not the integrity of their Government. If the budget isn't passed by the 7th March it must be done from scratch again. The State might even have to refund everyone that has been taxed since. That though would be the least of its worries.

One of the problems created by Lenihan is how much he has tied our hands with the bank guarantee and the bailout. No Finance Bill = No bailout and No bailout I reckon now means we are completely bankrupt. Just shouting no is not an option. Within a short period of time public servants pay, social welfare payments and state pension would stop. Left leaning parties might need to think about that.

Re-structuring the private (bank) debt is the way to go imho but the normal part of the budget still has to go through.
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

No one is suggesting that we dont pass the finance bill Muppet. The people should have their say on it first, along with any alternative proposals for it. Of course there must be a default on the Bank guarantee, it simply is not possible to pay it, and there is no legal or moral imperative to do so. Any party who refuses to recognise this should be roundly rejected at the Polls, as they are dishonest or seriously deluded

lawnseed

seems like micky martin got all chucky at the wolf tone commemoration at the weekend.. with the shinners breathing down the soldiers of density's neck micky thinks that nordieland is the way to go. jez how the stoops dodged a bullet when they pulled out of a merger with the fianna failures. this merger would surely have nailed the lid on their coffin tight shut. anyhow mickys not gonna set up here in norn iron just yet. because he knows that bright light that frightened big al all the way back to his two or three clinics would also show up the trecherous micky for what he is.. a complete bluffer
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

All politicians are bluffers, FF always get Nationalistic in opposition and were they not ahead of SF in the latest opinion poll?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

The fact is, they remain the only viable alternative as things stand - as depressing as that is. As much as people don't want them back in government, they want SF in government even less.

Agent Orange

Bit of sabre rettling from Micheál Martin, but he is not far off the mark with what he is saying.

lawnseed

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 22, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
Bit of sabre rettling from Micheál Martin, but he is not far off the mark with what he is saying.
then he should try his hand in the next election. theres one thing people north of the border dont do and thats forget easily. micky and his mates would be torn to shreds  in minutes. he dismisses problems like parading as if he'd fix them in seconds hes the guy who presided over the capitulation of ireland.. the surrender of sovereignty.. the tent.. druids glen.. cronyism.. e- voting and on and on.. the bnp would get more votes in the six than fianna fail so would wullie frazer.

Agent Orange

Fianna Fáil will be back in power well before the end of the decade.

lawnseed

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 22, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

'fianna gael' have never been out of power they're the same party they might as well join now and give labour the boot because come the next election all labour will have is a handful of ministerial pensions..

Evil Genius

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 22, 2012, 09:40:17 PM
So Mr Martin feels that FG have neglected NI far too much recently? As a Northerner myself, I have to say I'm glad, and trust that FF will follow suit as and when they next get into power.

After all, we've more than enough useless* political parties of our own to worry about, without importing more...

* - At best.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lawnseed

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 22, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
topping the polls  :o :o :o

agent you dont happen to have the lotto numbers for next weekend handy you may have a gift there

Itchy

There are some amount of morons in this country and the deserve to be pennyless.

T Fearon

The answer is No,even if I was allowed the option!