The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 22, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 21, 2018, 02:20:14 PM
If they can find a way of making a second tier championship appealing and prestigious it would work but how do you go about that without falling into the Tommy Murphy scenario.

TV exposure is one thing , media ,pundits etc would all have to respect and build it up in a serious manner .

They dont even do that with the main AI competition.

I think a tiered championship is the only way to go, but it will take serious effort from both the GAA and the broadcasters to make it work.
There also has to be a viable route to progress from the secondary competition into the Main AI, in order for it to appeal to players

First of all, where do you draw the line between tiered championships? League positions? If so are promoted sides from Division 3 that spring in A or B championship? And spare me the entering at quarter final stage. Yes it is happening in hurling but in fairness, there's only 10 teams in the top tier there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Unlaoised

Not showing McManus's point (which is probably the score of the year) is incredible

The coverage is just so bad it's not even funny!

As for Spallane and Whelan ...Guff!!!

I used to look forward to the Sunday game now its a chore to watch it
LAOIS ABÚ

BennyCake

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 22, 2018, 10:31:28 AM
Not showing McManus's point (which is probably the score of the year) is incredible

The coverage is just so bad it's not even funny!

As for Spallane and Whelan ...Guff!!!

I used to look forward to the Sunday game now its a chore to watch it

They didn't show McManus point? Didn't notice that.

You're right though. TSG is brutal viewing.

Jinxy

Pat really needs to be put out to pasture at this stage.
There's any amount of young, articulate analysts out there who could do an excellent job if they were given the chance.
They won't give you any folksy soundbites about dance halls though.
RTE's model across all sports is to have at least one person on the panel who will cause a bit of mild controversy and generate conversation.
Very few people will ever say to their workmate on a Monday morning, "Did you see that excellent bit of analysis about Mayo's kick-outs last night?", whereas they are a lot more likely to say, "Did you see Brolly going mad yesterday?"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on May 22, 2018, 11:42:23 AM
There's any amount of young, articulate analysts out there who could do an excellent job if they were given the chance.
RTE's model across all sports is to have at least one person on the panel who will cause a bit of mild controversy and generate conversation.
Very few people will ever say to their workmate on a Monday morning, "Did you see that excellent bit of analysis about Mayo's kick-outs last night?", whereas they are a lot more likely to say, "Did you see Brolly going mad yesterday?"

Thats why there is probably room for a decent magazine type show midweek that offers a better analysis and review of the weekend.
Leave the oul lads to the after match sound bites and get some proper football analysis on a separate show
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

manfromdelmonte

I've been saying it for years

There needs to be a mid week discussion show for the main positive talking points from the previous weekend's games

and then some sort of preview of the upcoming games.
nothing fancy, just two pundits talking to a host and increasing the coverage of games

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 22, 2018, 11:42:23 AM
Free secondary education only started n the 60s in RTE 's jurisdiction. A good whack of older viewers may not be interested in tactics. That education divide is visible in music. via the medium of cowboy hats. Eugène McGee said in an interview a while ago that most of what he wrote was shite. People Ķof all ages are happy with shite. Maybe Pat does something that nobody else can.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Agree with the  2 posts about a midweek show.
Also just highlights on Sunday night and less bullshit blathering.
And please bring Seó Spóirt back!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Surely there's nothing to stop eir sport producing a midweek show, clearly they don't hold any rights to show any action but there's plenty to talk about anyway.

Unlaoised

RTE should get Wooly in to do a midweek show ...

not everyone likes him but he has a great knowledge of the game and all of the players even from the so called weaker counites....
LAOIS ABÚ

slippery dodger

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 22, 2018, 01:05:55 PM

not everyone likes him but he has a great knowledge of the game and all of the players even from the so called weaker counites....

If you just put a camera in front of the GAA Hour podcast each episode you would have 4 hours of fantastic coverage to put on RTÉ each week. It would cost RTÉ F all! I would love to see what Wooly and his guests could do if they were actually allowed analyze a bit of footage

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: slippery dodger on May 22, 2018, 01:26:56 PM

If you just put a camera in front of the GAA Hour podcast each episode you would have 4 hours of fantastic coverage to put on RTÉ each week. It would cost RTÉ F all! I would love to see what Wooly and his guests could do if they were actually allowed analyze a bit of footage

Exactly.
Wooly & Cian Ward are very good on the GAA hour. I would love to see what they could do on TV with access to a bit of footage as well
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

highorlow

Was the dance hall story even true?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Quote from: slippery dodger on May 22, 2018, 01:26:56 PM

Exactly, same set up as this except maybe have more of a studio feel to it so mikes etc. are less obvious.
https://twitter.com/SportsJOEdotie/status/989117995896188928
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Soju

Quote from: Rossfan on May 22, 2018, 09:06:47 AM
And if they break that rule......?
Defender running out of defence, his forward chasing him comes to half way line-has to stop and see how many of his fellow forwards in opposition half....
Well i didn't give it much thought but each team would have to designate 3 players in attack to stay in the oppositions half full time ie full forward line. If there marker runs out of defence they can follow and tackle up until the half way line but let him go after that. It would be the same for 3 players in defense.
Maybe just have rule that the full back line and full forward line of each team can't leave their half. If they break the rule maybe a free from half way line.
It would bring back the best aspects of football before the blanket defense - quicker movement from defense to attack and more 1 on 1 situations.