Roddy Doyle says the GAA is a bit of a con

Started by T Fearon, August 31, 2017, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwan-ye-boy-ya

soccer here, in england, in europe, is a f**ki~g joke. one season youre cheering some fella the next youre cursing him because he moved for the bucks. see lukaku kissing his ugly badge for his first goal this season. what do everton folk think of this??
at least with the gaa everyone stays put bar the odd one or two.

Keyser soze

Quote from: sid waddell on September 02, 2017, 12:15:28 PM
What's acceptable bandwagoning and not acceptable bandwagoning?

I live in Galway but will be supporting Waterford in the All-Ireland hurling final, despite having no Waterford connection whatsoever.

I'm a native of Dublin but will be supporting Mayo in the All-Ireland football final, despite having no Mayo connection whatsoever.

I follow Down in inter-county Gaelic football and have done since 1991 despite having no connection to the county.

I wanted Tyrone to beat my native Dublin last Sunday despite having no connection to that county.
[/quote

Supporting Tyrone woulda given u a good excuse to bring an England flag with ye.

Itchy

I live in Galway but will be supporting Waterford in the All-Ireland hurling final, despite having no Waterford connection whatsoever.

I'm a native of Dublin but will be supporting Mayo in the All-Ireland football final, despite having no Mayo connection whatsoever.

I follow Down in inter-county Gaelic football and have done since 1991 despite having no connection to the county.

I wanted Tyrone to beat my native Dublin last Sunday despite having no connection to that county.

Sid, you are a wierdo and are whats known as an outlier.

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on September 02, 2017, 02:26:34 PM

Sid, you are a wierdo and are whats known as an outlier.
Down are an Irish team. Liverpool are an English team.

Many Irish people follow Liverpool, such as myself, and nobody says that's in any way weird.

So what's weird about following Down if you're not from there?

Is it weird to follow the San Francisco 49ers?

mrhardyannual

Cinnte dearfa go raibh i bhfad níos mo i gCondae Mhuigheo ag féachaint ar bPeil na mBan inniu agus gan Gaeilge ag móran acu ná mar a bhí ag féachaint ar an cluiche idirnáisiúnta saccar. Cad é sin mar "Committments" Roddy Doyle?

giveballaghback

After watching that fine international football game this afternoon I can see where Roddy is coming from, who could watch the tripe that will be served up tomorrow afternoon in Croke park after watching all those skills from our lads in Georgia, what a b.....lx.

sid waddell

I find it so twee that GAA people get so offended about any sort of negative comments from not just followers of other sports, but anybody, about it.

Despite, or perhaps because of the fact that so many self-styled "GAA people", or "Gaels" as they so piously call themselves, tend to have have a weird inferiority complex vis-a-vis other sports.

If there's a great game, it's never enough for many people to just say it was a great game. It has to be "that was a great game and look at the shite served up in some game in another sport in comparison".

If something perceived as negative happens, it's never a GAA thing, it's "we don't want to let these kind of soccer antics into our games", as if GAA is somehow as pure as freshly fallen snow and association football is disgustingly impure and the root of all evil.

Well guess what, violence and all manner of other horrible shit and the GAA have been interlinked since the organisation began, and are as integral to the GAA as lying is to Donald Trump's character. They aren't association football's fault.

What an ostrich attitude.

Rossfan

That soccer tonight was still pure sh1te no matter what the GAA did down the years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Are people not secure enough at this stage that they can comfortably ignore the likes of Doyle badmouthing the GAA?
He's not a fan, so what.
No need for anyone to get annoyed over it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

If that was all it was Jinxy you wold be correct but it wasn't just that. He said people only watch a GAA while there's no soccer on and it was a con job. I think that deserves to be challenged as it's clearly rubbish. If he just said he wasn't a fan then fair enough.

Jinxy

If it wasn't for social media, the vast majority of people would be blissfully unaware of his comments.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

I know someone who did the H Dip in the school he taught at in North Dublin.....she said he was a major arsehole and thats 25 years ago

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on September 02, 2017, 10:53:52 PM
If it wasn't for social media, the vast majority of people would be blissfully unaware of his comments.

Perhaps but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be challenged.

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on September 02, 2017, 10:31:57 PM
If that was all it was Jinxy you wold be correct but it wasn't just that. He said people only watch a GAA while there's no soccer on and it was a con job. I think that deserves to be challenged as it's clearly rubbish. If he just said he wasn't a fan then fair enough.
But that is the case with a lot of people.

And so fooking what?

Zulu

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2017, 12:29:22 AM
Quote from: Zulu on September 02, 2017, 10:31:57 PM
But that is the case with a lot of people.

And so fooking what?

No it's not. I've lived in a few different counties and I can't recall anyone who watched GAA as a stop gap until the soccer returned. Some were bigger soccer fans than GAA fans but none just watched GAA because   there was no soccer.