All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurtz

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Would Andy Moran be Roscommons first footballer of the year award ?

Jinxy

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 18, 2017, 06:01:41 PM
O'Shea had a lot of possession but all  he seemed to do was recycle it accrossthe field.  I thought he should have been played at FF and allowed to roam from there.

But If mayo could have scored another goal or 2 more points, they would have won the game.

Aidan's problem is that for all his size, he can't punch holes in a defence because he's too slow.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Kurtz on September 18, 2017, 06:34:58 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Would Andy Moran be Roscommons first footballer of the year award ?
Probably - don't think there were such meaningless thingys in the 1940s.
Hopefully he'll retire and get back to supporting his own County.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Rudi on September 18, 2017, 02:25:29 PM
The treatment Rock got in the lead up to taking the final free was shocking. The Mayo supporters and 2 nearest players behaved disgracefully.

Well said. Talk all you want about the Dubs, at least we don't two-facedly play the tragic victim card while at the same time constantly showing a lack of class in booing opposition free-takers.

It's hard to feel sorry for Mayo fans.

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 18, 2017, 07:07:09 PM
The treatment Rock got in the lead up to taking the final free was shocking. The Mayo supporters and 2 nearest players behaved disgracefully.

Well said. Talk all you want about the Dubs, at least we don't two-facedly play the tragic victim card while at the same time constantly showing a lack of class in booing opposition free-takers.

Seeing we are on the high victory moral ground, Any comment on O'Gara's Gauge or Face rake?

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 06:26:24 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 18, 2017, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 05:41:37 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 18, 2017, 05:36:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2017, 02:47:51 PM
McCarthy got MOTM and POTY on The Sunday Game.

McCarthy kicked 2 good second half points but POTY? Not for me, Aidan O'Se completely outplayed him in that first half and while McCarthy is a great athlete and an excellent half back I'm not sure he was sufficiently outstanding to earn POTY. The same could be said for a lot of Dublin players though. Andy Moran would be my choice who cleaned out Fitzsimmons yesterday before he tired and who has been consistently outstanding for most of the year.

Rochford done all he could do yesterday, Mayo threw the kitchen sink at that match and ultimately there lack of strength in depth cost them again. They need do discover 1 or 2 decent impact players if they are to finally get over the line. With the super 8s coming in next season you would think that they will still be in the top 4 but I hope they stick together and give it one last shot because at the minute they have the dubious honour of being the best side never to win an AI title. In another era they might have had 3.

You're making the erroneous assumption they don't desperately need replacements for some of their starters too.

If none of them decide to call it a day I don't think any of their older players are showing signs of regressing. Andy Moran has been arguably the best player in the country and Higgins has been brilliant all year and they are 2 of their veterans. However a long term injury or a retirement or two and I feel as though they will struggle to get back to another final.

SOS is always gassed after 50 minutes, Boyle has no more than 55 minutes in him. Barrett at times the same. Andy was seriously fecked by the time he was pulled yesterday, and that is a regular occurrence. Higgins hides it better by staying deeper but he is completely fúcked in the last ten minutes of most games too.

AOS despite being younger than those lads has 55 minutes in him at championship pace. In the Roscommon drawn game I remember him barely being able to move by the end. Yesterday he was literally walking when he got the ball in the final 15 minutes, totally gassed but no replacement for him so Rochford left him on and his opposite number had a field day. Those lads do not have the full 75-80 minutes of football in them that all but AOS used to have. That is physical, factual regression and deterioration, not of one or two squad players, but the very players Mayo look for to win games.

Shark, if you're trying to tell me they can find three or four players to start and would even be at the same level overall by bringing on the lads listed above for the final 15 minutes then I'm not buying what you're selling. What happened to Donegal is exactly what is happening to Mayo now, albeit in a somewhat more graceful fashion. Normal counties can't replace multiple once in a generation players and remain at the top. Only Dublin, a county with the money and population of a province, can pull off that trick.

Can you explain the money reference as yo my eyes you are posting through your rectum using throwaway colloquialisms like financial doping.....

No issue if you can make the case but I have yet to see it properly  presented

Seriously?

Orchard park

Yes seriously.

Very easy throw it around but prove the point.....

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 18, 2017, 07:07:09 PM

Seeing we are on the high victory moral ground, Any comment on O'Gara's Gauge or Face rake?

Or the cynical synchronised pulling down of mayo players after Rock's last free? You can be a classless winner as well you know 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Il Bomber Destro

Mayo keep defying the odds and coming back again and again, yesterday they were desperately unlucky and they deserve a few breaks but that's football.

7 of the starting XV next year will be in their 30s. They really need to fast track some fresh blood in next year. Mayo's forward problems have been well documented over the past few years but I thought they were brilliant at the business end this year. Moran is the FOTY, COC has had his all round game much improved this year but his free taking dropped a level below his norm, Doherty really catapulted himself from a bit of a workhorse to something much more polished.

With the likes of Moran, Boyle, Higgins and SOS another year older they will need to find some other players to add to the team but I think they are probably the team best equipped to topple Dublin next year.

omagh_gael

From the outside looking in I don't know who Mayo bring in to strengthen their team. They have gotten out of some seriously deep holes through miraculous type play from the likes of Boyle, Moran and Higgins. However, no man can stop time and next year they face the extended super 8 format.

Not being harsh here but I'm struggling to think of a consistent option off the bench this year. You have one top class option in Durkan/DOC (depending who starts), however, no one else is making a difference. It looked like Loftus could make a break but he was disappointing later in the Championship. In fact I think he was at fault for McCarthy's equaliser by running into the Dublin tackle and losing the ball.

Coen from the u21 appears decent but isn't having a major impact at all. Is anyone else ready from that u21 team? Is there even many on the bench?The Tyrone team that won the u21 the year before has at least 4/5 starters on senior team and more on the bench. I don't hear too many new names being bandied about the Mayo team.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 18, 2017, 08:00:44 PM
Mayo keep defying the odds and coming back again and again, yesterday they were desperately unlucky and they deserve a few breaks but that's football.

7 of the starting XV next year will be in their 30s. They really need to fast track some fresh blood in next year. Mayo's forward problems have been well documented over the past few years but I thought they were brilliant at the business end this year. Moran is the FOTY, COC has had his all round game much improved this year but his free taking dropped a level below his norm, Doherty really catapulted himself from a bit of a workhorse to something much more polished.

With the likes of Moran, Boyle, Higgins and SOS another year older they will need to find some other players to add to the team but I think they are probably the team best equipped to topple Dublin next year.

Maybe a younger Tyrone side will be just as well equipped to topple the Dubs if get in their faces and under their skin like Mayo have done to Dublin in recent years.

Milltown Row2

Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2017, 08:37:14 PM
Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I honestly don't get this stuff.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2017, 08:37:14 PM

I honestly don't get this stuff.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

Losing a final is far more crushing than losing in an earlier round. I can't relate directly to Mayo as my county have never been in or close to an all-Ireland. But I do know that having lost 4 county senior finals as a player that it is significantly harder to take than being knocked out at an earlier stage. It's a pretty easy concept to understand.

Wildweasel74

A Dublin supporter complaining about Mayo booing free takers; the irony; the dubs introducing booing for free takers!