All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

An absolute thriller with incredible moments of quality on both teams, but. . .

Those short sideways kick outs are an ugly abomination, much like the handpassed goal was in hurling and would be easily eradicated with a simple rUle change. They add nothing. Neither does the running down of the last few minutes as Dublin did today. Time for a rule similar to basketball where you can't bring the ball back inside your own 45.

Mayo4Sam14

Dublin know how to win these games, mayo dont. Simple.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

thewobbler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 17, 2017, 08:17:16 PM
Dublin know how to win these games, mayo dont. Simple.
But it's not that simple.

Mayo have spent their entire f**king season winning game like this and Dublin haven't.

Mayoffs

Hard luck again lads. We were up against it, another lesson learned.

Poor decision making on the field cost us.

Dubs bench made the difference ultimately. If we're to beat them we need to look at how they utilise the subs, might take a couple of years to blood more players but we'll keep going back to the well.

Mayo for Sam 2019
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2017, 08:20:03 PM
Mayo have spent their entire f**king season winning game like this and Dublin haven't.

I haven't seen Mayo winning any finals lately.

Jinxy

I thought Mannion was excellent again today.
Such a threat.
Dublin's best forward this year for me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Your heart would go out to muintir Mhaigh Eo both on the board and elsewhere. What a kick in the nuts. Again. 
Galway lost 3 finals one after another in the 70s.
It took another quartery of a century

Teams like the Dubs and KK ride their luck as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Halfquarter

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 17, 2017, 08:23:05 PM
Hard luck again lads. We were up against it, another lesson learned.

Poor decision making on the field cost us.

Dubs bench made the difference ultimately. If we're to beat them we need to look at how they utilise the subs, might take a couple of years to blood more players but we'll keep going back to the well.

Mayo for Sam 2019
Dublin seem to have two top class players for every position, no other team can do that.

bannside

Chris Barrett MOM a great display.

A few unfair comments here on AOR. I'm far from.his biggest fan, but he was a colossus today. Totally unlike last year.

Comments on referee here are harsh. He missed a few but as a neutral this worked two ways. Overall a reasonable performance by JMQ.

After 3 finals (230 minutes, almost four hours) against the invincibles, only two points separated them on the scoreboard. How close is that. A tragic modern sports drama that may never get that happy ending.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: straightred on September 17, 2017, 08:05:18 PM
the focus will probably be on vaughan as the pivitol moment but I thought mccaffrey's injury was big. He had started really well and Dublin seemed a bit clueless for 10 or 15 mins after he went off. It really upset their game plan

Replacing him with Flynn didn't work well and they lost their shape, Eric Lowndes would have been a more like for like replacement but I'm not sure if he was even on the bench.

mrhardyannual

Just home. Words can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel....not for myself or the the supporters but for that bunch of players. The temptation for some will be to start singling out individuals for blame for isolated incidents. I think that would be unfair. If we were to look at the commentary and forecasting over the past few months this Mayo team had no chance. Yet again they had this great (and I mean that sincerely) Dublin team on the ropes. Top marks to all, including management, for a great season. The inability to finish scoring opportunities is all that stood between the teams. We need to hold what we have and blood some new players over the FBD and League. If management remain on (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) they need to rest some experienced players, cut those from the panel that they obviously have no faith in and bring in a half dozen or more big athletic footballers. Don't write our obituary yet.

Mayo posters, please refrain from more ref bashing. We had the winning of that game but didn't do it. We need to focus on what we can improve and not  wallow in self pity.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 08:13:53 PM

Those short sideways kick outs are an ugly abomination, much like the handpassed goal was in hurling and would be easily eradicated with a simple rUle change. They add nothing. Neither does the running down of the last few minutes as Dublin did today. Time for a rule similar to basketball where you can't bring the ball back inside your own 45.

I think you should stop posting about football.

Wildweasel74

Doherty missing the goal the biggest reason Mayo didnt win to today, seldom would you get a better chance than the one he got!

imtommygunn

Quote from: straightred on September 17, 2017, 08:05:18 PM
the focus will probably be on vaughan as the pivitol moment but I thought mccaffrey's injury was big. He had started really well and Dublin seemed a bit clueless for 10 or 15 mins after he went off. It really upset their game plan

To be honest i also thought playing ogara for as long as they did really upset their gameplan.

Mccaffrey arguably player of the year too so yeah massive difference too.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 17, 2017, 09:15:19 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 08:13:53 PM

I think you should stop posting about football.
Is it the side footed 10 yard kickouts to a corner back or the handpassing from attack all the way back to your keeper to kill the game that you're a fan of?  If ever a sport needed rule changes to counteract the way it's evolving it's football in 2017.