U14 Feile

Started by tintin25, June 25, 2017, 12:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Noticed that Burren won the U14 All-Ireland Premier competition in Sligo.  Is this some sorta separate competition to the Feile currently being held in Monaghan, Cavan, and Fermanagh?  I thought this was the competition which included all the various county champions as well the hosts.  Apologies, didn't see a thread anywhere else.

bennydorano

Was down watching our boys in Gowna yesterday,  beaten in their QF by a strong Portlaoise side. New York were in the same group and gave every team a right hiding, they are a County rather than club side, heard a few grumbles as to why they weren't in the Elite competition  (that I didn't know existed til yesterday either). 10 divisions of Feile plus the Elite now I think.

Gold

Quote from: tintin25 on June 25, 2017, 12:43:23 AM
Noticed that Burren won the U14 All-Ireland Premier competition in Sligo.  Is this some sorta separate competition to the Feile currently being held in Monaghan, Cavan, and Fermanagh?  I thought this was the competition which included all the various county champions as well the hosts.  Apologies, didn't see a thread anywhere else.

I saw they won the final 6.6 to 0.8. If thats in a full all ireland final 6 goals is seriously inpressive

Ive friends who have kids playing  for various Down clubs underage teams and all i ever hear is how good Burren are at every age...and complaints that kids who should be playing for other clubs closer to them travel to play for Burren?

Any truth in that ? And what is the difference with regional and other feile?

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tintin25

They must have changed the format in recent years.  When I played (long time ago) you had maybe 5 /6 divisions with all the county champs and a number of host clubs.  I think it's been expanded to include 'B' winners, and given the huge gulf in class between some teams I'm assuming the Premier competition as been introduced to cater for the traditionally strong counties at this level.  Anyone confirm?

Looking through the results there was (as expected) plenty of mismatches between visiting teams and host clubs.  I would have thought the likes of New York and London would be well fit to hold their own in the Premier competition.  Is it by invite only?

omagh_gael

How does the grading system work? I see Errigal Ciaran (grade 2 in Tyrone) are playing in division 6. That seems a bit low for them looking at some of the other clubs playing above them.

bennydorano

I think we (Armagh Harps) were Division 1, I watched a bit of Ardboe v New York QF  so they were Division 1 as well. Is there like a Senior, Intermediate & Junior concept in operation?

omagh_gael

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 11:23:45 AM
I think we (Armagh Harps) were Division 1, I watched a bit of Ardboe v New York QF  so they were Division 1 as well. Is there like a Senior, Intermediate & Junior concept in operation?

You would assume that but in Tyrone we have 4 grades at u14 and our grade 2 winners (Errigal) were playing in Division 6 which doesn't tally up.

Kilkevan

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 25, 2017, 11:32:22 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 11:23:45 AM

You would assume that but in Tyrone we have 4 grades at u14 and our grade 2 winners (Errigal) were playing in Division 6 which doesn't tally up.

I know there were camogie teams who are a roinn higher than Gowran in Kilkenny but who were playing in divisions lower in the Feile. The draw seems to have been poorly coordinated. That said, I think it was a very successful weekend and the main focus should be on the kids having a good time.

Targetman

Quote from: Gold on June 25, 2017, 09:46:04 AM
c

I saw they won the final 6.6 to 0.8. If thats in a full all ireland final 6 goals is seriously inpressive

Ive friends who have kids playing  for various Down clubs underage teams and all i ever hear is how good Burren are at every age...and complaints that kids who should be playing for other clubs closer to them travel to play for Burren?

Any truth in that ? And what is the difference with regional and other feile?
Yea they're be an element of truth in that, not all Burren's juvenile players would live in Burren, at u14 level this year they have 2 teams playing in the same division and they just happen to be the 2 best teams in the league, not as strong at u16 or minors this year

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2017, 12:51:17 AM
There are also regional Feile competitions taking place. Not sure how Burren ended up in Sligo.
Our boys were beaten today in the quarter final in Monaghan.
Some good teams on show. In particular, Naomh Colmcille from Meath. Great team. One thing though, they appeared to be Dubs.

Lost by a point to Portlaoise in the semi-final.
A lot of Dubs moved to the Meath Riviera in recent years for a taste of the good life.
Unfortunately, they brought their accents with them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Helix

New York win division 1 title. Some going.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

bennydorano

New York hammered Portlaoise, not surprising after what I watched yesterday, as posted above they could've been in the Elite section. They'd beat quite a few local U16 & possibly Minor teams. Big lads.

clonadmad

Portlaoise won the A feile and Graigcullen won the B feile competition in Laois,there were regional feiles played yesterday,but I believe they were invitation and not elite competitions

Nice bit of controversy to finish

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/offaly-367843

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
New York hammered Portlaoise, not surprising after what I watched yesterday, as posted above they could've been in the Elite section. They'd beat quite a few local U16 & possibly Minor teams. Big lads.

Talking to two diehard Harps heads on the way to the Armagh match the night, they reckoned there was funny football going on with that U14 team (Pardon the pun)

Our U14 lads are very good, I never thought any team would be capable of beating them down like that!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

DuffleKing

So how many feile all irelands are there? How many divisions, how many regions and who goes into which?