Former players you wish were still available to you now

Started by Jinxy, June 10, 2016, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I'm not taking about the All Stars.
The legends.
The 'go-to' guys.
I'm talking about the fringe players.
The lads who were 'in-and-around' your more successful teams but were probably never that highly-rated within their own county (relative to the superstars at least).
Or the lads that were considered solid and dependable and could play in a few different positions (and possibly suffered as a result by sacrificing their own game).
From 1999 onwards for us, that would be lads like Ray Magee, Daithi Regan, Donal Curtis, Nigel Crawford, Hank Traynor, Nigel Nestor etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Gs Man

1. Francie Bellew
2. Francie Bellew
3. Francie Bellew
4. Francie Bellew
5. Francie Bellew
6. Francie Bellew
7. Francie Bellew
8. Francie Bellew
9. Francie Bellew
10. Francie Bellew
11. Francie Bellew
12. Francie Bellew
13. Francie Bellew
14. Francie Bellew
15. Francie Bellew
Keep 'er lit

Jinxy

Not sure if an entire team of Francie Bellews would have the mobility required for the modern game. :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on June 10, 2016, 02:21:13 PM
Not sure if an entire team of Francie Bellews would have the mobility required for the modern game. :D

And the other team wouldn't either...

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2016, 02:23:00 PM

And the other team wouldn't either...

:D :D
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Non All-Stars.....

Trevor Mort.
Kevin Cahill.
Martin Carney.

MWWSI 2017

theyellowbus

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2016, 02:52:38 PM
Non All-Stars.....

Trevor Mort.
Kevin Cahill.
Martin Carney.

Brilliant footballer and brilliant attitude

FermGael

Paddy McGuinness from Devenish.
Most underrated full back we ever had.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

blanketattack

35 of the 1997 to 2014 Kerry players won all-stars so there's hardly anyone left to pick from. Liam O'Flahery is probably the best of the Kerry non-All Stars.

muppet

Quote from: blanketattack on June 10, 2016, 04:15:13 PM
35 of the 1997 to 2014 Kerry players won all-stars so there's hardly anyone left to pick from. Liam O'Flahery is probably the best of the Kerry non-All Stars.

Yerra you used 58 players in the last 10 years alone, so there were some useless ones who didn't get All-Stars.

MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

You can be sure they wouldn't. A team of Pat Spillane's grannies would run them off the pitch.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Look-Up!

Aidan Connolly
Damien O'Reilly
Peter Reilly
Dessie Brady
Massive talent there but unfortunately some of their careers were a bit too short.

I think Cillian Sheridan would have been a massive player for us if he hadn't made it in soccer.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 10, 2016, 07:43:47 PM
Aidan Connolly
Damien O'Reilly
Peter Reilly
Dessie Brady
Massive talent there but unfortunately some of their careers were a bit too short.

I think Cillian Sheridan would have been a massive player for us if he hadn't made it in soccer.

I forgot to stick Ger Pierson in there too

Wildweasel74

Forget about his all-stars, About 5 clones of Anthony Tohill, to play in 2 midfield slots, fullback, full forward and wing forward might make derry half decent again