Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

I have to admit, O'Rourke raises some good points in questions that should be addressed.

seafoid

"One of the other big allocations is €1.2m for nutrition for county players. Many GAA people will be completely exasperated by this figure. Perhaps time will show - or maybe it is apparent already - that a lot of the supplements modern players are taking would be better off in the bin.

GAA players are careful about what they take, but some of the 'gym-market' supplements are not what they say on the tin. A lot of that market is aimed at the body beautiful and substances may be contaminated. Those on that regime don't seem to mind that their urine could turn pink in a few years, or hair could start growing in unusual places"

1.2 m is a lot of WTF
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 13, 2017, 10:13:15 AM
I have to admit, O'Rourke raises some good points in questions that should be addressed.

The wages seem extremely high.
As much as the GPA do some good work and there is a need for intercounty and ex intercounty players to be looked after, you cant help but feel in its current format, it is just a gravy train for a select few at the top.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

O'Rourke raised a few valid points alright and overall I am in broad agreement with him. But he has developed a habit of late that irritates me. You could call it the Swelled Head Syndrome.
I mean he takes it for granted that every one who reads his column already knows what happened between him and the GPA sometime in the past. There have been a few other instances of this as well but the present article is a good example of what I mean.
Take the following: "Hardly surprising that I am not on the GPA's mailing list but I am quite sure readers will be interested in at least some of the work of this body during 2016.
It is not altogether true that the GPA ignored me, or at least the Meath players of the past, this year."
WTF knows or cares what happened in the past? He is dealing with the present and shouldn't assume anything about what happened before now.
He assumes that his readership has been avidly reading his column and should be aware of whatever rows he's had with the GPA in the past.
A touch of the Tony Fearon style is beginning to show here. :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lurganblue

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 13, 2017, 11:08:23 AM
O'Rourke raised a few valid points alright and overall I am in broad agreement with him. But he has developed a habit of late that irritates me. You could call it the Swelled Head Syndrome.
I mean he takes it for granted that every one who reads his column already knows what happened between him and the GPA sometime in the past. There have been a few other instances of this as well but the present article is a good example of what I mean.
Take the following: "Hardly surprising that I am not on the GPA's mailing list but I am quite sure readers will be interested in at least some of the work of this body during 2016.
It is not altogether true that the GPA ignored me, or at least the Meath players of the past, this year."
WTF knows or cares what happened in the past? He is dealing with the present and shouldn't assume anything about what happened before now.
He assumes that his readership has been avidly reading his column and should be aware of whatever rows he's had with the GPA in the past.
A touch of the Tony Fearon style is beginning to show here. :D

Agreed. I for one haven't a notion of what he is on about in relation to past grievances.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 13, 2017, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2017, 09:22:56 AM
I see Colm has resumed hostilities in yesterday's paper. The details included are interesting to say the least:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/colm-orourke-what-really-intrigued-me-from-the-gpa-financial-report-was-the-wage-bill-36311178.html

Rossfan will defend them. Seanie won't. Etc. Fwiw, O'Rourke is bang on with this one.

+1

He is bang on the money, excuse the pun.

oh btw, the GPA is non for profit  ::)

Avondhu star

Quote from: joemamas on November 13, 2017, 01:35:56 PM
I see Colm has resumed hostilities in yesterday's paper. The details included are interesting to say the least:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/colm-orourke-what-really-intrigued-me-from-the-gpa-financial-report-was-the-wage-bill-36311178.html

Rossfan will defend them. Seanie won't. Etc. Fwiw, O'Rourke is bang on with this one.

+1

So was Goal and Console
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

joemamas

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 13, 2017, 01:39:43 PM

+1

So was Goal and Console

And your point is ?

westbound

+1

In some organisations, not for profit = pay higher salaries to the top dogs to get rid of the profits!

rrhf

You would wonder the feelings of a GAA president seeing this happen under their watch and probably powerless to change it.   
What about the average intercounty player. How do they feel about this?   
What about the club player? It must seem a world away from them a totally different set of GAA rules.  From the sound of it Gooche's testimonial is the least of our problems.     

Orchard park

Quote from: rrhf on November 13, 2017, 03:19:39 PM
You would wonder the feelings of a GAA president seeing this happen under their watch and probably powerless to change it.   
What about the club player? It must seem a world away from them a totally different set of GAA rules.  From the sound of it Gooche's testimonial is the least of our problems.   

the CPA will cure all that.............

the GPA were an issue for GAA until GAA management realised throw a few million and they will shut up and acquiesce and cause no further problems

Syferus

Quote from: rrhf on November 13, 2017, 03:19:39 PM

I'm sure you mean Duffy, because the president isn't the man with real power.

I don't see why HQ would have any issue with it. The cost of business to keep a players' union in-house. For them it's probably the easiest cheque of all to under-write.

COR has impressed me lately with his willingness to go after the golden gooses - Dublin, the GPA in a way that's far harder to dismiss as self-serving in the manner much of Broly's commentary is.

Minder

So GPA a bit of a lucrative racket for the chosen few, who knew !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Eamonnca1

What grinds my gears is the GAA gets called the "Grab All Association" with unfounded accusations that it's all about "greed" and pocketing money, meanwhile the GPA openly brags about how much money it's going to raise to put in players' pockets and there's hardly a word about them. Fair play to O'Rourke for speaking up.