Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: sid waddell on October 11, 2020, 01:16:23 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 10, 2020, 10:45:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2020, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
Gemma O'Doherty and John Watters reckon the troubles were staged.
https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1314558950155657218

It is a bit sad to see someone parade an illness in public.

She's hit a new low.

There is a lot of competition for that title. We can argue all night as to whether she is deranged or cynical, or both. But i cannot figure out why Waters is still involved.

He argued for decades that Ireland lost its sense of community to individualism. Now he is arguing the opposite. Individual rights trump social cohesion and public health. Its a total reversal and he cannot believe the shite she comes out with.
Waters is a deeply angry man who as he gets older longs more and more for an increasingly distant youth and an "old Ireland" which he now imagines to be a magical golden era

He is trapped in a De Valera comely maidens dancing at the crossroads fantasy

Even before he went loop the loop, there was a deep nostalgia and sickening sentimentality in his writing - I mean for the words "sickening sentimentality" to be read in the voice of Robbie Coltrane in Cracker when he was ridiculing the mindset of a murderer to his face

I think he longs for it to be 1936, except with the internet, diesel cars and rural electrification - don't know about inside bathrooms, he looks like he doesn't use them very much

In the absence of a time machine and LSD, Waters has found an outlet in blood and soil fascism and the cult like sense of identity it gives him

But this blood and soil fascism is deeply entwined with US far right libertarianism - it makes no sense on one level, but on another level it makes perfect sense, as fascism has always been a trojan horse for entrenched business interests

But the most important thing is "team, team, team", the Douglas Murrays and Stefan Molyneuxs and other head the balls he takes his cue from are saying the same things, so he follows

It's the only way he can find any sort of identity or meaning in life now

It's pretty tragic to watch

But thats my point. He pines for a day when everyone did what they were told and listened to their socisl betters whether it be the priest or the doctor or whomever. Individalism killed this community spirit.

So why is he arguing to ignore community health and be an individual?

He could easily join Aontua who seem to be much more in tune with his beliefs. I do not for a second believe Waters wants unicorns banned (think about that), the troubles was a setup, Jimmy Guerin paid the Gardai to murder his sister because she was onto his heroin empire, bleach cures autism and the assorted other mental shit she spews. So why is he there?

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 12:07:58 PM
You clearly haven't considered that part of the reason for the exemptions in the first place is to protect those suffering from mental and psychologicial conditions that may be aggravated by the wearing of a mask.

The mask isn't about the person wearing it, it is about protecting other people. You can't allow someone endanger other people because they don't like wearing a mask. If you are unable to wear a mask then stay at home.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2020, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 12:07:58 PM
You clearly haven't considered that part of the reason for the exemptions in the first place is to protect those suffering from mental and psychologicial conditions that may be aggravated by the wearing of a mask.

The mask isn't about the person wearing it, it is about protecting other people. You can't allow someone endanger other people because they don't like wearing a mask. If you are unable to wear a mask then stay at home.

The law allows just that, and for good reason.

You can't tell a certain cohort of vulnerable people to stay at home indefinitely.

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 01:23:38 PM

You can't tell a certain cohort of vulnerable people to stay at home indefinitely.

People have no problem telling people who might get Covid to stay at home, so why can you not tell people who refuse to use the measures to prevent the spread of Covid to stay at home?
You don't have to stay at home, you can walk about, so long as you don't go into buildings or buses where masks are required.

Do you also think that blind people should be allowed drive cars, because they are a vulnerable cohort?

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2020, 01:29:17 PM

People have no problem telling people who might get Covid to stay at home, so why can you not tell people who refuse to use the measures to prevent the spread of Covid to stay at home?
You don't have to stay at home, you can walk about, so long as you don't go into buildings or buses where masks are required.

Do you also think that blind people should be allowed drive cars, because they are a vulnerable cohort?

There is no law that makes it illegal for people who might get Covid to go outside or attend to their normal business. You are proposing such a law for people who for whatever reason cannot wear masks. Thankfully no such law will ever see the light of day, so our discussion is moot.

armaghniac

Quote from: five points on October 12, 2020, 01:34:53 PM

There is no law that makes it illegal for people who might get Covid to go outside or attend to their normal business. You are proposing such a law for people who for whatever reason cannot wear masks. Thankfully no such law will ever see the light of day, so our discussion is moot.

I am merely proposing a law requiring masks, if people chose not to do so then that is their choice.

tbrick18

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2020, 01:40:16 PM

I am merely proposing a law requiring masks, if people chose not to do so then that is their choice.

Exactly, but if you chose not to wear a mask but also chose to go into locations where the regulations clearly state you should wear one, then you should get a fine.
What exemptions are there from wearing a mask? I mean, what medical condition is so severe that you cannot wear a face covering for what ever number of minutes you would be in a shop? Very few I would think.
Lots of people abusing the "exemption" and very few actually exempt.
If you get a fixed penalty for not wearing a mask and you have an underlying condition which would genuinely prevent you wearing one, an appeals process can be used to refund your money.
The approach is used for parking/speeding tickets. If you are found illegally parked or speeding and get a fine, you can appeal that fine and if it is found there is good reason why you were speeding or illegally parked or if the officer issuing the fine did so in error, the fine is rescinded. Why would this approach be a problem when there is such a high risk to everyone in society?

I stole this off a facebook page and I think it accurately sums it up. The post is from a nurse:

Support for Nurses, Midwives and Frontline Staff in Ireland
8 October at 18:52  ·
So crazy how me and every single person that works at my hospital have normal oxygen levels when we're required to wear an n95 mask, surgical mask over it, and a face shield.
So weird that women/family I know GAVE BIRTH while wearing a face mask and their oxygen was okay.
Incredible that my 90 year old patient can perform strenuous activities while wearing a mask and her oxygen is okay.
Amazing that actual patients recovering from covid can tolerate wearing a mask all day.
So if you're an anti mask person, instead of making up fake facts about you oxygen dropping while wearing a flimsy cloth mask, just stop lying and say that you just don't care if other people die because of you. ✌🏻

Baile Brigín 2

There might be soon

If you can't wear a mask, wear a visor.

If you can't wear a visor then you shouldn't be in public

Tony Baloney

See lots of attention seekers on social media saying their mates, wife's sister went for a Covid test but chickened out at the nasal swab so just rubbed on their gums and it came back positive. Government conspiracy

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 12, 2020, 03:37:38 PM

There might be soon

If there is, the yooman rights industry will have a field day with it.

No skin off my nose except my taxes will probably end up paying for a good lump of it.

square_ball

Having this argument with a workmate who refuses to wear a face mask - he maintains that it is not the law to have to wear a face covering? I argue on the other hand that it is in fact a legal requirement that you have to wear one. He thinks because it hasn't been through the full rigours that a law goes through therefore you don't have to wear one.

clarshack

Quote from: square_ball on October 12, 2020, 08:34:46 PM
Having this argument with a workmate who refuses to wear a face mask - he maintains that it is not the law to have to wear a face covering? I argue on the other hand that it is in fact a legal requirement that you have to wear one. He thinks because it hasn't been through the full rigours that a law goes through therefore you don't have to wear one.

I was in Homebase without a mask a few days ago and the police were there also. I wasn't even challenged so I'd say your workmate is correct.

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 12, 2020, 12:51:58 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 11, 2020, 01:16:23 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 10, 2020, 10:45:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2020, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
Gemma O'Doherty and John Watters reckon the troubles were staged.
https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1314558950155657218

It is a bit sad to see someone parade an illness in public.

She's hit a new low.

There is a lot of competition for that title. We can argue all night as to whether she is deranged or cynical, or both. But i cannot figure out why Waters is still involved.

He argued for decades that Ireland lost its sense of community to individualism. Now he is arguing the opposite. Individual rights trump social cohesion and public health. Its a total reversal and he cannot believe the shite she comes out with.
Waters is a deeply angry man who as he gets older longs more and more for an increasingly distant youth and an "old Ireland" which he now imagines to be a magical golden era

He is trapped in a De Valera comely maidens dancing at the crossroads fantasy

Even before he went loop the loop, there was a deep nostalgia and sickening sentimentality in his writing - I mean for the words "sickening sentimentality" to be read in the voice of Robbie Coltrane in Cracker when he was ridiculing the mindset of a murderer to his face

I think he longs for it to be 1936, except with the internet, diesel cars and rural electrification - don't know about inside bathrooms, he looks like he doesn't use them very much

In the absence of a time machine and LSD, Waters has found an outlet in blood and soil fascism and the cult like sense of identity it gives him

But this blood and soil fascism is deeply entwined with US far right libertarianism - it makes no sense on one level, but on another level it makes perfect sense, as fascism has always been a trojan horse for entrenched business interests

But the most important thing is "team, team, team", the Douglas Murrays and Stefan Molyneuxs and other head the balls he takes his cue from are saying the same things, so he follows

It's the only way he can find any sort of identity or meaning in life now

It's pretty tragic to watch

But thats my point. He pines for a day when everyone did what they were told and listened to their socisl betters whether it be the priest or the doctor or whomever. Individalism killed this community spirit.

So why is he arguing to ignore community health and be an individual?

He could easily join Aontua who seem to be much more in tune with his beliefs. I do not for a second believe Waters wants unicorns banned (think about that), the troubles was a setup, Jimmy Guerin paid the Gardai to murder his sister because she was onto his heroin empire, bleach cures autism and the assorted other mental shit she spews. So why is he there?
I think there's a bizarre cognitive dissonance at the heart of a lot of right-wingers where they hold contradictory views simultaneously

They want everybody to be obedient yet claim to be for individual "freedom"

But it's a very negative type of freedom, a libertarian, right-wing American version of "freedom", the sort that leads to oligarchy

The sort of "freedom" where the factory owner is free to pollute a river or blow noxious smoke over the homes of ordinary people without consequence (there's an obvious similarity here to Waters' desired Covid situation of people being "free" to infect others or not worry about many, many thousands of people being infected or our health service being overwhelmed)

Or the "freedom" of shop owners to refuse to serve people for arbitrary reasons like skin colour or religion or sexual orientation

I think freedom is most of the most abused words in the English language, social democracy done well leads to a much more genuine type of freedom than American right-wing "freedom!!!!" ever can or will

Perhaps in a round about way Waters' cognitively dissonant position makes a strange type of sense in that that version of American style libertarian negative "freedom" inevitably leads to untrammeled power for the already powerful - which is what he desires

Of course when media organisations exercise their freedom to not platform him it drives him around the twist

But I might also be giving him too much credit in terms of having a coherent position because I think he's genuinely gone round the twist and has been radicalised into a hard right position by the internet, and those people can see nothing else except "team right-wing", none of it has to make sense, as long as "his side" (Trump, Farridge, Orban, Fox News, the Daily Telegraph, Spiked Online etc.) is saying something, that's what he'll say

I also think he's riding Gemtrails

Let's just try and forget that last line

Hound

Quote from: square_ball on October 12, 2020, 08:34:46 PM
In Ireland, shops, restaurants, etc have been asked to refuse entry to anyone wearing a mask.

In workplace office settings you can sit at your desk without a mask if there is nobody within 2 meters. But if you get up to move anywhere you need to put on a mask.

I don't think either of those are laws. But the business owner can legally refuse entry to people who refuse to follow the rules.

thewobbler

"Freedom" might well have been the most abused word in the English language once upon a time. But these days it's "right-wing", and almost entirely through the efforts of one person.