Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: Sportacus on September 20, 2012, 10:04:16 PM
Is the modern spec any better?  outside mixing, that type of thing.
Not really, a hole is a hole.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenmachine

Not that I am any way up on slurry pits/tanks, etc. but is there ever any legitimate reason why someone would have to enter a slurry pit after it has been built and if not could they not incorporate ventilation that is safer than a hole in the ground? 

If there has to be any entrance into the pit could it not be covered with an iron grid to prevent any accidental access by man, dog, etc.

It seems awfully dangerous and silly to have an open hole that if someone fell or climbed into there's a good chance they won't come out of it.  If an environment like this existed in any other place of work health and safety would have a field day, although I appreciate that farmers probably need to strike a balance between what is practical and what is totally safe but it is life and death at the end of the day...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

lawnseed

Quote from: screenmachine on September 21, 2012, 12:54:33 PM
Not that I am any way up on slurry pits/tanks, etc. but is there ever any legitimate reason why someone would have to enter a slurry pit after it has been built and if not could they not incorporate ventilation that is safer than a hole in the ground? 

If there has to be any entrance into the pit could it not be covered with an iron grid to prevent any accidental access by man, dog, etc.

It seems awfully dangerous and silly to have an open hole that if someone fell or climbed into there's a good chance they won't come out of it.  If an environment like this existed in any other place of work health and safety would have a field day, although I appreciate that farmers probably need to strike a balance between what is practical and what is totally safe but it is life and death at the end of the day...
theres a bit of a quandry concerning slatted tanks. there is a type of slat you can buy for mixing the tank. slat makers called them safety slats but farmers call them mixing slats. this contradiction of terms will give you an insight into the mindset of those involved in farming an its ancillary industries
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

orangeman

Spring has sprung as they say.

I saw my first silage being cut last Thursday. Anyone seen any grass being cut earlier than that ?

sensethetone

Quote from: orangeman on May 06, 2014, 12:09:07 AM
Spring has sprung as they say.

I saw my first silage being cut last Thursday. Anyone seen any grass being cut earlier than that ?

silage!! at this time of the year, our donkey's are still eating the rushes among the bushes ffs. :o

Hereiam

Framing really is getting more intensive. Any man cutting silage at this time needs to be dragged out of the tractor and bate with the PTO shaft.

giveherlong

In parts of Antrim and down I've seen a few milk farmer operating zero grazing systems so are cutting with silage wagons all year round

On another note the end of milk quotas next year means a lot of people are considering going into milking and those at it already will be producing more

johnneycool

Quote from: giveherlong on May 06, 2014, 03:22:45 PM
In parts of Antrim and down I've seen a few milk farmer operating zero grazing systems so are cutting with silage wagons all year round

On another note the end of milk quotas next year means a lot of people are considering going into milking and those at it already will be producing more

Has the price per litre gone up?

laoislad

I've been doing a lot of work on Robotic farms the past few months.
They are some job,amazing how they can train the cow to come in to be milked on their own accord.
The Robot itself is a fine piece of machinery. Very expensive to get installed but all the farmers I've spoken too swear by them now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

giveherlong

Milk is as good a price as it has been for a number of years. Supply and demand in next few years could push it down.
Lamb is good price at present
Beef is back a bit

sensethetone

Quote from: giveherlong on May 06, 2014, 03:48:12 PM
Milk is as good a price as it has been for a number of years. Supply and demand in next few years could push it down.
Beef is back a bit
cows with calves at foot aren't back a bit.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: giveherlong on May 06, 2014, 03:48:12 PM
Beef is back a bit

Friesian bull calves are back a lot. >:(
Agree with milk, but once the quotas go, the big farmers will be able to alleviate the drop in price by producing more.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

downtown

the price of store cattle to graze or put into the house to finish are crazy compared to the price of beef. whatever men are thinking buying stores at well over 2 pound/kilo or nearer the 2.5 euro/kilo mark for strong stores in the south i do not know! takes a right beast to come into 1200 in the north or 1500 in the south. future isnt looking good for the beef in this country with all these new rules coming into place either. being cut for cattle under weight, over weight, over 30 months, over 36 months and more the 4 moves! and no use for the south beast in the north. v hard to work at the min

Hereiam

its crazy downtown and it will be worse as I fear a lot of men will be after cattle so as to keep the SFP.

offtheground

Quote from: Hereiam on May 06, 2014, 10:10:37 PM
its crazy downtown and it will be worse as I fear a lot of men will be after cattle so as to keep the SFP.

How does this help them keeping the Single Farm Payment?