Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2012, 03:45:38 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 11:16:52 AM
At least do it when you're finished going in and out of whatever field, and a few signs warning of a slippery road would make sense as well.

Aye, sure.

Every day at every field I drop off a bale in during the winter I'm gonna put out a wee roadsign when I go in and break out the brush and sweep the road after I've driven 50 yrds down the road to get the muck off the tyres... then pick up the roadsign and be on my merry way to do the same the next time.

Catch yerself on.

Once in and out of a field a day isn't the issue, its the 20/30 times a day drawing silage or spreading slurry is the issue and leaving huge clumps of shite/mud strewn down the road for a 100 yards especially if a nice skiff of rain hits it.

AZOffaly

Sure slow down. If you see a pile of manure or muck or whatever on the road, and it's that prevalent, just take the foot off a bit. It only lasts about 50 yards or so.

Annoys me when lads drawing slurrey tanks or balers or whatever don't pull in to allow people to pass, but in fairness, it's only going to add 10 minutes to your journey so chill out I suppose. It's the ignorance that gets me sometimes.

As the fella said, 'There's ignorance in them lads they'll never use'.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2012, 04:02:43 PM
Sure slow down. If you see a pile of manure or muck or whatever on the road, and it's that prevalent, just take the foot off a bit. It only lasts about 50 yards or so.

Annoys me when lads drawing slurrey tanks or balers or whatever don't pull in to allow people to pass, but in fairness, it's only going to add 10 minutes to your journey so chill out I suppose. It's the ignorance that gets me sometimes.

As the fella said, 'There's ignorance in them lads they'll never use'.

if you see it then yes no bother, come round a corner into it and its not easy to get the weigh off a car when driving through shite.

AZOffaly

True for you, but then again a sign wouldn't be great in that situation either, unless it was 100 yards up the road.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 03:55:26 PM
Once in and out of a field a day isn't the issue, its the 20/30 times a day drawing silage or spreading slurry is the issue and leaving huge clumps of shite/mud strewn down the road for a 100 yards especially if a nice skiff of rain hits it.

When its after a corner - many do already put out a sign!

[More to stop a car coming flying into the side of the machine when it exits the field than to warn about the road - but it'll fill the same function]

i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2012, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 03:55:26 PM

When its after a corner - many do already put out a sign!

[More to stop a car coming flying into the side of the machine when it exits the field than to warn about the road - but it'll fill the same function]

Is that not the job of the 80 gallon acid drums, in blue or green?

Dougal Maguire

Some fantastic stuff on this thread now. Makes me realise why everyone should love farmers. Their caring attitude towards the countryside, their courteous attitude towards the rest of the society and their concern that their actions won't impact adversely on their fellow man is to be commended. You'd never hear those guys come out with anything that could remotely suggest a 'world owes me a living' mentality.
Careful now

give her dixie

http://tyronetribulations.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/i-landed-on-moon-first-claims-stewartstown-farmer/

"I Landed On Moon First", claims Stewartstown Farmer

A Stewartstown pig-farmer has stunned the astronomical world by claiming that he was the first man to set foot on the moon and not the recently deceased Neil Armstrong. Mr Felix Philpot, originally from Coagh, went even further and cast doubts as to whether the Americans were on it at all. Philpot, who rents pigs to poor homeowners who can't afford to own a normal pet like a cat, made the startling claim in Maguire's butchers in the middle of the town.

"All this talk about Apollo this and Buzz Adrin that has sickened me to the balls. I made it to the moon in 1967 before the Yanks or Russians could consider it. Myself and the brother Tomas were messing around in the shed with the lawn mower when the thought hit me. Why not point the mower upwards, build an aluminium cage around it, get a few of those experimental jet-propelled rockets I'd bought the previous year from China and see how far she goes."

Philpot claims he made 'a dozen spud dinners and wrapped them in tinfoil, 5 or 6 packets of Rich Tea, a gallon of tea in flasks, a toilet roll and the paper' before setting off on his journey alone as Tomas watched from below.

"It was a bit of a handlin at the start with the radiation belt almost blinding me 25'000 miles up but once she settled and the oil was massaging the engine, it was shoe to the burd til I landed on the moon that night. I kept er lit as they say"

Felix described the moon as a 'lonely, desolate and scary' place but recalls seeing some wildlife on it, casting doubt on Armstrong's claims.

"There's no way Neil could have missed the serious amount of Corncrakes flying about. The ground was sandy, not powdery as he said. I'd wonder where they there at all."

Tomas, when contacted, cast doubts on Felix's achievement.

"Will ye wise the head for feck sake. He went up about 100 feet and landed in the big sandpit at Tullyhogue. Our boy's a total head-case. A nut-job. Just ask about".

Philpot claims he left a reminder up there for future generations to recognise his achievement. "I was dying to go to the toilet and the lunar module was half a mile away, so I let rip in the middle of the Sea of Tranquility. The boyo is still probably sitting there." The mystery remains.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Denn Forever

Olly would be proud of that! 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
Is that not the job of the 80 gallon acid drums, in blue or green?

Is that not you suitably informed as to agricultural vehicles entering/exiting fields and as to the likelihood of deteriorating road conditions immediately ahead?

Or does the farmer need to break out the crayons and explain it in big colourful letters so those a bit slow of brain don't need to make the connection? [I'd argue if said dimwits crashed after passing the warning, the farmer has done the gene pool a favour]
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 19, 2012, 06:16:48 PM
Some fantastic stuff on this thread now. Makes me realise why everyone should love farmers. Their caring attitude towards the countryside, their courteous attitude towards the rest of the society and their concern that their actions won't impact adversely on their fellow man is to be commended. You'd never hear those guys come out with anything that could remotely suggest a 'world owes me a living' mentality.

Should you not be away hand wringing over the next impending disaster and screaming (not too loudly though, incase ye'd hurt yer delicate wee voice box or someone else's little sensitive ear drums) about how its all a blatant disregard for health and safety?
i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

Family guy

We were  building a tank the day,couldnt help but think of them 3 poor souls who died last week,this tank were at is 14 foot deep,16 foot wide and 35foot wide,you wouldnt stand a chance if you fell in 2 it

lawnseed

Quote from: Family guy on September 20, 2012, 07:56:52 PM
We were  building a tank the day,couldnt help but think of them 3 poor souls who died last week,this tank were at is 14 foot deep,16 foot wide and 35foot wide,you wouldnt stand a chance if you fell in 2 it
you mean you pouring the tank, surely your not trying to build a tank 14ft deep. tell us your shuttering...
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Sportacus

Is the modern spec any better?  outside mixing, that type of thing.