Worthington wants anywhere but windsor

Started by Deal_Me_In, July 27, 2007, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 27, 2007, 01:56:26 PM
FAI can pick from any of the 32 counties ,hardly partitionist ......  ;)

I think you will find this is currently being disputed with no ruling as yet.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

An Fear Rua

Quote from: nifan on July 27, 2007, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 27, 2007, 01:35:17 PM
Are any of you ni fans unionists? or loyalists?

Of course. Not everyone is "staunch" as tony claims:
QuoteThey are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity.

If i said that GAA fans where first and foremost republicans an the GAA is a badge of political identity how would that go down?

you would have to qualify it with nationalist or republican to even the comment up for starters, saying that it would go down quite well, it would be the truth .

So Tonys right then that you are mostly unionist or loyalist, and on that basis pro ni in the uk, and would maybe see a ni football team as an expression of that ideal, even though it was never originally formed for that purpose, but sorta grew into the position?
Its Grim up North

inisceithleann

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 27, 2007, 02:00:47 PM

It may be being disputed but the outcome is quite clear, that the FAI can pick people born on this Island. FIFA are never going to overrrule an act of law i.e what was created by the Good Friday Agreement. If someone has an irish passport then they are an irish citizen and have the exact same status as anyone currently playing for the Repbublic.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

T Fearon

The IFA split from the main footballing organisation in Ireland by its refusal to embrace an all ireland footballing administration and one team concept. It was set up to cater for unionists only and does to this day (and that is why the Football for All Campaign is false and indeed offensive). Derry City and Belfast Celtic were both forced to withdraw from the Irish league for political/sectarian reasons and Celtic players such as Neil Lennon and Anton Rogan have been subject to shameful abuse and a death threat. It all boils down to this, should any Football Association affiliated to UEFA and FIFA exist purely to promote football or to promote football with a politicial undercurrent?

Also there is no such team as the "Republic of Ireland" The scoreboard at Lansdowne Road/Croke Park describes this team as "Ireland" as do the match programmes, and the team can be selected from all 32 counties of Ireland and regulalry features in the squad Derry's Darren Gibson plus a host of others born in the 6 counties in under age teams

Chrisowc

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 27, 2007, 02:10:48 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on July 27, 2007, 02:00:47 PM

It may be being disputed but the outcome is quite clear, that the FAI can pick people born on this Island. FIFA are never going to overrrule an act of law i.e what was created by the Good Friday Agreement. If someone has an irish passport then they are an irish citizen and have the exact same status as anyone currently playing for the Repbublic.

For some clarity why don't you read the seventy odd page thread on OWC.  For further clarity why don't you read FIFA's rules.

nifan

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 27, 2007, 02:03:15 PM
you would have to qualify it with nationalist or republican to even the comment up for starters, saying that it would go down quite well, it would be the truth .

So it isnt about the sport, thats an aside as part of the nationalist/republican festivities.
Certainly isnt amongst my mates who ar ethere for the sport, and the numerous people on here who have professed it is about the sport for them as well.

So you now say the GAA is a political organisation and the sporting is secondry?

So Tonys right then that you are mostly unionist or loyalist, and on that basis pro ni in the uk, and would maybe see a ni football team as an expression of that ideal, even though it was never originally formed for that purpose, but sorta grew into the position?
I have never claimed that the majority of NI arent unionist/loyalist. Not all are.
Tony claimed we where all staunch unionist/loyalists, and that it wasnt about supporting NI it was simply a badge of political aliegence - implying that we dont give a shit about the football in effect.

nifan

A passport doesnt necessarily cut it anymore, to stop countries "buying" international players (Dubai buying brazilians for example)

GweylTah

Do any of the Northern born or based posters who support the Republic of Ireland soccer team not feel a bit nomadic if they go to or watch Republic of Ireland games?  They might feel that it's their team, but the team itself and South of Ireland born and based fans don't really agree?

inisceithleann

Quote from: nifan on July 27, 2007, 02:25:00 PM

A passport doesnt necessarily cut it anymore, to stop countries "buying" international players (Dubai buying brazilians for example)

Maybe so, but because if the politically sensitive nature of the irish situation I have no doubt that they will make an exception in this situation. Do you really want people playing for you when their allegiances lie else where? Just let players play for the team they feel is their national team.

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 02:11:16 PM
Also there is no such team as the "Republic of Ireland" The scoreboard at Lansdowne Road/Croke Park describes this team as "Ireland" as do the match programmes, and the team can be selected from all 32 counties of Ireland and regulalry features in the squad Derry's Darren Gibson plus a host of others born in the 6 counties in under age teams

;D ;D ;D

So the scoreboard says it then it's true.

It seems FIFA think differently

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.htmll

Couldn't resist posting this link btw 8)

It seems UEFA agree with FIFA

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/standings/round=2241/group=2633.html

As for Gibson.  How many appearences has he made to date?  He can carry as many cones and move as many nets in training all he likes.

An Fear Dearg

Quote from: GweylTah on July 27, 2007, 02:28:05 PM
Do any of the Northern born or based posters who support the Republic of Ireland soccer team not feel a bit nomadic if they go to or watch Republic of Ireland games?  They might feel that it's their team, but the team itself and South of Ireland born and based fans don't really agree?
I'm Irish.  Why would I feel 'nomadic' in any part of Ireland? :-\  If there were no Mayo or Galway players on the team, should some westerners feel 'nomadic' when they're sitting in Lansdowne or Croker? :-\

inisceithleann

Quote from: GweylTah on July 27, 2007, 02:28:05 PM

Everyone i know born in the south feels that they team is for everyone born on this island. One fella from dublin said to me that if you support a united ireland rugby or basketball team then you are more than welcome to support the Republic. I think most southern born people welcome the support they get from the North. I remember roy keane in his autobiography appreciating the support the team got from the North. I for one do not feel at all nomadic when at landsdowne/croker.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: nifan on July 27, 2007, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 27, 2007, 02:03:15 PM

So it isnt about the sport, thats an aside as part of the nationalist/republican festivities.
Certainly isnt amongst my mates who ar ethere for the sport, and the numerous people on here who have professed it is about the sport for them as well.

So you now say the GAA is a political organisation and the sporting is secondry?

I have never claimed that the majority of NI arent unionist/loyalist. Not all are.
Tony claimed we where all staunch unionist/loyalists, and that it wasnt about supporting NI it was simply a badge of political aliegence - implying that we dont give a shit about the football in effect.

So you now say the GAA is a political organisation and the sporting is secondry? I didnt say anything, you alluded to it in a whatabboutery fashion
Thats the tricky bit isnt it, all depends on how everone is interpreting the labels being bandied about. Does unionist mean, political active unionist or is it just another way of saying prod....

Everyone know exactly what Fearon is saying, he just happens to be very good at presenting it in an inflammatory way.
At the end of the day anything marked and marketed as "Northern Ireland" is a representation of being pro partition, and either uk unionist or Ulster nationalist, be it football team, or the British chicken from Co.Tyrone that Tescos sell - none of which is appealing to the vast majority of nationalists/republicans/catholics(insert label most relevant to interpretation)
At the end of the day, you might be the best footballers in the world, and the friendliest of chaps etc, many still wont cross the road to watch/participate/promote ni. Its as simple as this they dont like it the concept.
Its Grim up North

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 27, 2007, 02:16:59 PM
For some clarity why don't you read the seventy odd page thread on OWC.  For further clarity why don't you read FIFA's rules.

Why?  Does volume imply clarity?

Fearon is a tool annd there is nothing wrong with supporting OWC.  But neither is there anything wrong with a nationalist feeling uncomfortable in that surrounding (through no fault of the supporters) due flags, anthems, emblems or predominance of one identity among the supporters.   Neither is there anything wrong with Nationalist feeling more comfortable following the FAI XI.   Get over it all around.  

The Republic is not "just a foreign country" for a substational number of Northern Ireland citizens.  That is a fact (one that FIFA will in due course accept).   Equally for many in the Northern Ireland it is in itself a country and they will follow the IFA XI.

Happy days.

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Supporting the Republic of Ireland doesnt mean you support partition at all, thats rubbish.
This team represents the part of the Island whose elected politicians have a goal to re-unite ireland.
Plain and simple.
Ask me holy bollix