Tablets

Started by lurganblue, July 16, 2011, 08:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

No not drugs but the electronic ones. Was in carphone warehouse earlier and was looking at a few of the tablets. With so many different ones available it's hard to know what to go for. Samsung, iPad, motorolla, hp, etc what's the major differences and what is the best quality for money.

I'm really only gonna use it at home mostly and I have wifi. In saying that I could see me using it a lot. Is there a need for 3G and do they have to be bought on some sort of tariff?

I apologise if there is already a thread on this and I will delete.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

Do you own one minder?

Minder

Quote from: lurganblue on July 16, 2011, 09:22:14 PM
Do you own one minder?

No I might wait to the Ipad3 comes out later this year and take the plunge. Well there is talk of it anyway.

Aaron Boone

I thought this was about chemists dispensing medication. 8)

lurganblue

I went to buy the archos 101 tablet from tesco last week for £150. I thought it would be perfect to try these out at a low enough cost. The fecking things were sold out though. Anyone know any other stores that stock them for a similar price?

DuffleKing

Stupid question here but do aps work across all of these tablet variations?

lurganblue

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 24, 2011, 05:51:04 PM

Stupid question here but do aps work across all of these tablet variations?

I think it depends on the OS. If they are android and have access to the android market then those ones should all have the same apps to choose from. iPad has the app store the same as
iPhone, iPod touch etc

Smokin Joe

I bought myself an iPad last week - it is some bit of gear.

Great for browsing whilst lazing about; its miles handier than a laptop in terms os just picking it up.  The apps also make it worthwhile.
It's also great to be able to download the daily / Sunday newspaper early of a morning withot having to leave the house.

Didn't really consider any other tablet, but I'm well happy with my choice.

Only downside is that I have to share it with my 4 year old son and his Angry Birds.

Don Johnson

What sort of apps would you say are essential?

Geoff Tipps

Got a cheap one on ebay a few months ago. It's got an android 2.3.4 OS,10 " capacative screen. Great for surfing the web. Access to the android market. Obviously the Ipad is better but if u're just looking for something to have on the coffee table for quik surfing one of these will do the trick.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Don Johnson on December 24, 2011, 09:47:32 PM
What sort of apps would you say are essential?

Depends what you are in to.

I have:
Met Office
Living Earth
TuneIn Radio
TV Guide
XE
ESPN Goals
Times / Sunday Times
TV Catchup
Speed test
BBC News
Angry Birds

People also talk about things like Star Walk and there is an app that shows the airplanes in the air at any time.  So if you see a plane overhead you can look at the app and see where it is going to / from. 
As you can guess most apps don't perform life changing functions, they either provide entertainment or satisfy curiosities (although the Met Office one is very good as at a glance you can see the weather forecast for the next few days).

Apart from the apps it is really useful to be able to shortcut a webpage and have that appear like an app.
So for example I have http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/latestscores/ created as a shortcut on the home screen.  This means that literally within 5 seconds of switching the iPad on I can look at the latest football scores.

Minder

SmokinJoe - i take it you know the BBC Iplayer app is now out?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2011, 10:31:42 PM

I think I did, but I hadn't got round to getting it so thanks for reminding me.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 24, 2011, 10:34:28 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2011, 10:31:42 PM

I think I did, but I hadn't got round to getting it so thanks for reminding me.

There's also an app called livescore which has all the big leagues from all around the world. Much better than sportinglife's scoring update page.