Author Topic: Eurovision final here we come!!  (Read 4491 times)

trueblue1234

• View Profile
Re: Eurovision final here we come!!
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:03 PM »
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?
Excellent point and shows up the absurdity of some of the positions here. Funny is funny end of - Dougal's original joke here that sprouted this bleeting match was just shit tho.

Was there an answer to this at all?
I'll wait for all the the six county Catholics on this thread to finish up their bomb-making activities for the day before answering.

Hey, just #bantz, remember!?

Like Barry McElduff!

Seriously do I have to research jokes/ comedians before laughing at them? And lets be honest the Catholic Church rightfully get loads of abuse on here including stereotypical comments. In fact I don't think there's a grouping/ race that get as much.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
Israel shouldn't be in the Eurovision. Neither should Australia.
Israel shouldn't be in UEFA either

No, but I'm just hoping they qualify for Qatar 2022. Then the fun will start.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
Why is Dougal Maguire twaddling on about jokes when it's obvious to everyone that Windmill Abu's literally anti-semetic post wasn't a joke? Sometimes people on this site (most times) don't realise how absolutely reprehensible the behaviour they're trying to defend is.

Windmill's post was out of line. No problem with someone taking issue with it. Dougal's however was harmless.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
You’ve lost me with that last bit Chief
Being lost is no doubt a feeling you're well used to.
What do you mean by a cryptic message like that?
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »
I’m cut to the bone. I thought my initial comment was a piece of spontaneous comedy genius if truth be told.
Careful now

Fionntamhnach

• "Load up on drugs, kill your friends..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

Nor Kazakhstan imo.
For a country to be eligible to qualify for participation for the European Song Contest, it must be represented by a national broadcaster that is a full member of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) - in Ireland's case that can be either RTÉ or TG4 - that lies either within the European Broadcasting Area of the ITU or be from a country that is a member of the Council of Europe (in the latter case, the only country outside the European Broadcast Area at present that could qualify for Council of Europe membership of is Kazakhstan). Australia is the obvious exception, being granted now an effective permanent wildcard entry.

The European Broadcast Area is not limited simply to continental Europe & associated islands. Indeed when the EBU was founded in 1950 its first members included broadcasters from Lebanon, Morocco & Tunisia. Indeed Morocco had an entry in the 1980 contest, the only time an African country has done so. A number of years back Syria was contemplating sending an entry but were told by the EBU that if their representative broadcaster refused to show or edited the Israeli performance on the live broadcast they would be disqualified, so no further progress was made.

In any case there is no formal international agreement that determines where Europe ends and Asia begins, but it's generally agreed that it includes the Turkish Straits, the Great Caucasus Watershed and roughly along the Ural River and Ural Mountains. On that basis quite a few countries straddle this line - the majority of Russia's landmass lies in Asia though the majority of its population live in Europe, only 3% of Turkey's land is in Europe and 4% of Kazakhstan's as well as a slither of both Georgia & Azerbaijan. Armenia lies entirely in Asia. Cyprus lies on the Anatolian Plate along with most of the Asia Minor that geographically it's part of Asia though culturally European while a few Greek islands off the Asian Minor coast like the Dodecanese could also count as geographically Asian. Then you have Spain, where the Canary Islands as well as the exclaves of Ceuta & Melilla are on the African continent, while the Portuguese island of Maderia (you know, the one Ronaldo was born on) lies much closer to Africa than Europe. Heck, if you want to start a real row Iceland straddles the European and American continental plates with its nearest landmass being Greenland but there is generally unanimous agreement that Iceland is a European country.

With regards to soccer, you have the transcontinental countries mentioned above that have all chosen to be part of UEFA rather than the AFC. You then also have Armenia and Cyprus (like above). Israel's participation is a result of history - not going to get into the deep politics of it all but they were effectively expelled from the AFC in 1974, became nomads for two decades before getting full UEFA membership in 1994. Another example is Australia leaving the OFC and joining the AFC for competitions at country and club levels. In the Americas you have Guyana, Suriname & French Guiana playing in CONCACAF competitions despite all three lying on the northern part of the South American landmass etc. etc. etc.

Generally when it comes down to geopolitics, things aren't always so simple. ;) What I would say though is that if FC Luch-Energiya of Valdivostok ever qualify for the Champions League or Europa League, it's going to be fun for any team drawn against them to travel to Luch's ground for the away leg! Mind you, FC SKA-Khabarovsk were in this seasons Russian Premier League but have been relegated.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:52:24 PM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobshítes in their place since 1999

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »

Before they even bribed won the right to host, Qatari officials said that if Israel qualified they would welcome the team into the country. In any case Qatar don't ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country outright compared to most Arab countries but they do require a visa application beforehand.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »

Before they even bribed won the right to host, Qatari officials said that if Israel qualified they would welcome the team into the country. In any case Qatar don't ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country outright compared to most Arab countries but they do require a visa application beforehand.
The problem with Israel is that it never integrated into the Middle East.
No country in the region needs an international aiport the way Israel does.
Those biscuits are for the visitors

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
The world has gone mad

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »

Yes but then there's the Qatari people. That could be a different story.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »
Only 12% of Qatar's resident population are Qatari citizens, they have the highest GDP per head of any country in the world notwithstanding that many South Asian working there in construction, hospitality & as servants along with many other foreigners are effectively indentured slaves. So nah.
In the current geopolitical climate, it might be trickier if Saudi Arabia, Egypt or the UAE qualify for the 2022 World Cup.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »
Only 12% of Qatar's resident population are Qatari citizens, they have the highest GDP per head of any country in the world notwithstanding that many South Asian working there in construction, hospitality & as servants along with many other foreigners are effectively indentured slaves. So nah.
In the current geopolitical climate, it might be trickier if Saudi Arabia, Egypt or the UAE qualify for the 2022 World Cup.

Trouble has started before elsewhere with less ;)

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2018, 10:12:06 PM »
There's a poll going around on thejournal.ie asking if Ireland should boycott Eurovision in Israel. Initially, I thought yes, but if someone were to pen a good song about standing up to colonizing land-grabbing oppressors on the other hand...

balladmaker

• Irish To The Core!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
There's a poll going around on thejournal.ie asking if Ireland should boycott Eurovision in Israel. Initially, I thought yes, but if someone were to pen a good song about standing up to colonizing land-grabbing oppressors on the other hand...

I know just the group for that

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2018, 09:51:43 PM »
The Wolfe Tones in Eurovision!!