The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Doubt Hayes will get a look in - let's be honest as a general rule he is playing in the wrong country to be considered
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Capt Pat

That is true but I think Kidney will be selecting a big squad to prepare for the world cup so he will have a large enough squad to begin with. He can include a lot of fringe players. Or is he doing what the French did and announcing the 30 early.

Celt_Man

Well in fairness there are a few lads who still deserve a good look... Fionn Carr would be top of that list in my opinion

ardtole

How did Connacht qualify for the heineken cup next year, I thought Ireland was only entitled to 3 entrants and these were picked on the league positions in the magners league.

ludermor

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 01, 2011, 03:50:11 PM
Doubt Hayes will get a look in - let's be honest as a general rule he is playing in the wrong country to be considered
I would be amazed if he got even a mention, look at the chance Casey has been given the last few years!

Celt_Man

Quote from: ardtole on June 01, 2011, 05:20:21 PM
How did Connacht qualify for the heineken cup next year, I thought Ireland was only entitled to 3 entrants and these were picked on the league positions in the magners league.

I presume it's because there is a place reserved in the Heinken Cup for the winners of the previous year so Leinster are in on that basis and don't need to take up the place they receive from Magners' League Qualification.  So there is a spare place going for an Irish team....

Same would have happened if Munster had of won the Challenge Cup.

Can anyone correct me on that??

Capt Pat

Leinster winning the Heineken cup gave an extra spot to the Magners League or Ireland. I am not sure which but either way Connacht got the spot. Stade Francais missed out on the spot that went to Connacht. They are now close to bankriptcy.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 01, 2011, 05:39:10 PM

I presume it's because there is a place reserved in the Heinken Cup for the winners of the previous year so Leinster are in on that basis and don't need to take up the place they receive from Magners' League Qualification.  So there is a spare place going for an Irish team....

You are correct.

Tom Hayes is actually a converted 2nd row from number 8. Good player but not international class imho.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

He can cover the back row as well then. I think he is what you call a late bloomer, I would be taking a look at him before the world cup if I was Kidney.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 01, 2011, 06:41:01 PM
He can cover the back row as well then. I think he is what you call a late bloomer, I would be taking a look at him before the world cup if I was Kidney.

If it wasn't WC year their would be merit in that but the World Cup squad will have a core 25 players already picked, these guys will be on specific conditioning programs for the last year with the WC in mind, very little room for bolters. Don't be surprised if Conor Murray, by far the form scrum-half in Ireland doesn't even make warm-up International squad.
#newbridgeornowhere

ardtole

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 01, 2011, 06:03:21 PM

You are correct.

Tom Hayes is actually a converted 2nd row from number 8. Good player but not international class imho.

ardtole

Quote from: ardtole on June 03, 2011, 09:39:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 01, 2011, 06:03:21 PM

Why didnt they get in before when leinster and munster won the heineken cup before

Capt Pat

Some bad mistakes from Ireland in this game. O Leary and Earls have made a few. I am more annoyed with O Learys kick setting up the drop goal than the interception try. At 26-8 down and under pressure it was unrerstandable that he tried to force the pass. That kick should have been down the sideline and into open country for Earls to chase.

GalwayBayBoy

O'Leary and Earls have been terrible. Between them I think they've been directly responsible for 16 French points. Maybe they don't fancy the long flight down under.

Hoof Hearted

Leinster v Munster in the Aviva on TG4 now if anyone's interested

Keith earls carried off after 30 seconds !!

5-3 to Sexton v O'Gara - almost HT

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012