The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

johnneycool

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 21, 2011, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: Declan on March 21, 2011, 12:12:27 PM
Quotewhat's the story with Edwards and Wales, was he suspended or something,

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/other-news/wales-assistant-coach-suspended-over-irish-folk-song-bustup-2587740.html

That is odd stuff. Connolly is from Monaghan, right?

Edwards must have taken exception to a rousing rendition of Sean South from Garryowen.

gallsman

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 21, 2011, 11:09:48 AM
Great win for ireland, should have won by more and really rubbed their noses in it.
That win fairly put the 'Divin Swallow' shite out of Ashton and co...was it him too that was having verbals with sexton over an early conversion attempt?

I wondered about this as well at first, but having watched it again, it was apparent that as soon a he realised that kick was going over, Sexton stood there, pointed at him with his arm outstretched and said something. The camera cut to them running out and Ashton snarling back at him.

There was a great bit in the ruck that followed that high tackle. O'Brien tossed someone, Wood maybe, out of the way (not a spear as he didn't drive him into the ground) and stood there protecting the ball. Youngs came flying at him from behind the English players. O'Brien tensed his shoulder and stuck out a forearm and Youngs went crashing backwards. Raised forearm was probably illegal, but so was Horgan on Strettle years ago and I enjoyed that one too!

passedit

That was my first visit to the 'Aviva' and whilst I obviously enjoyed the result, I was none too impressed with the new stadium. toilet facilities were a disaster in the south stand, the concourse was way too narrow and as for the walkway under the DART, well thon's an accident waiting to happen if I ever saw one.
Don't Panic

muppet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12892601

Ben Foden arrested in criminal damage inquiry

Foden has won 15 caps for England
England rugby player Ben Foden has been arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Jasus Muppet you have turned into an awful gossip.

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0403/oconnellp_munster.html

O'Connell likely to miss remainder of season

Sunday, 3 April 2011 13:36
Paul O'Connell is unlikely to play for Munster again this season as a result of the ankle injury picked up during the province's win over Leinster at Thomond Park on Saturday night.

O'Connell was withdrawn six minutes into the second half against Leinster, after landing badly from a line-out.

The captain has not suffered a break, but doctors have to wait for bad swelling to reduce before a final examination is possible.

It appears likely that O'Connell has either snapped his Achilles tendon or damaged his ankle ligaments. The Munster captain will travel to Dublin on Monday for further medical examination.

Munster will face Brive away in the quarter-finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup next Saturday afternoon, a game O'Connell is sure to miss. Mick O'Driscoll is likely to deputise in the second row.

If he has snapped his Achilles he would probably miss the World Cup at the very least. Hopefully not that bad.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Alan Quinlan has announced he will retire at the end of the season.

Always thought he was criminally under utilised by successive Irish managements (likewise Trevor Brennan and Bob Casey). He was very unfortunate to pick up the shoulder injury in the 2003 World Cup but O'Sullivan always favoured Simon Easterby over him when he was fit. He was past his peak by the time Kidney took over. Ireland's loss was Munster's gain.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quinlan was excellent for Munster but lacked pace and intelligence for the international game. Easterby was streets ahead of him and it was an easy selection for EOS.

Quinlan though will go well in the media or coaching, very good speaker and motivator.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

Aussie wing Drew Mitchell is out of the world cup after doing his cruciate ligament while playing for the Waratahs. He was in good form this season as well. He was Australias version of Cueto, not as good as Ashton but we will not have to worry about him now.

Hoof Hearted

From watching several Leinster games recently, would Shane Horgan not be worth his place in Kidney's WC squad ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 24, 2011, 04:16:51 PM
From watching several Leinster games recently, would Shane Horgan not be worth his place in Kidney's WC squad ?

Yes I have always liked Horgan. He can play in the centre and on the wing. Heis big and experienced and is as good as ever. The trouble is who does he replace?

Dinny Breen

He can't play in the centre.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 24, 2011, 06:46:37 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 24, 2011, 04:16:51 PM

Yes I have always liked Horgan. He can play in the centre and on the wing. Heis big and experienced and is as good as ever. The trouble is who does he replace?

he probably wouldnt replace anyone on the starting XV, but he would be a good man to come on
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012