The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 18, 2011, 09:39:45 PM

Munster will have 2  international tightheads playing for other teams next year, add in sean cronin and you can see why munster are heading downhill.

ehh Cronin plays for Connacht...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2011/0221/ireland_trimblea.html

Ireland squad additions:
Andrew Trimble
Mick O'Driscoll
Donnacha Ryan
Gavin Duffy
Denis Hurley
Tony Buckley
Rhys Ruddock
Tommy Bowe

I have been vocal enough on the Donncha O'Callaghan v Leo Cullen debate but seriously, calling up Mick O'Driscoll again? Ryan is a good call but why can't we let go of players who didn't make it at their peak? Are there not other potentially good young locks around worthy of a look?

POC, DOC and Leo will deservedly go to the WC but please can we bring at least one young player with them.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

I get the impression from reading the papers that O'Gara is going to be recalled.
#newbridgeornowhere

Olaf

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 21, 2011, 03:03:28 PM
I get the impression from reading the papers that O'Gara is going to be recalled.
He won't.

D'Arcy to be dropped ...McFadden to centre and Bowe and Trimble on wings. Pack to stay the same.

Celt_Man

Celt_Man

15 Fitzgerald
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 D'arcy
11 Earls
10 O'Gara
9 Reddan
1 Healy
2 Best
3 Ross
4 O'Callaghan
5 O'Connell
6 O'Brien
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip

Replacements: 16 Cronin; 17 Court; 18 Cullen; 19 Leamy; 20 Stringer; 21 Sexton; 22 Wallace

AZOffaly

Celt_Man

Cullen should start one Six Nations game this season and so should Toner if he is to be an option in the WC.  McFadden very unlucky not to get a spot on the bench in place of Wallace - he can play Fly half and kick goals as well...

Would like to see Sexton and Reddan get some game time together before an inevitable half-back swap around the 60 minute mark. 

Again looking to World Cup, would McLaughlin not be worth a shout on the bench in place of Denis "Penalty-Count" Leamy

muppet

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 23, 2011, 01:20:24 PM
15 Fitzgerald
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 D'arcy
11 Earls
10 O'Gara
9 Reddan
1 Healy
2 Best
3 Ross
4 O'Callaghan
5 O'Connell
6 O'Brien
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip

Replacements: 16 Cronin; 17 Court; 18 Cullen; 19 Leamy; 20 Stringer; 21 Sexton; 22 Wallace

Grand Slam or not, I am beginning to lose faith in Kidney. D'Arcy starts and Sexton dropped?

With O'Gara starting it looks like we are going to kick for the corners and this is after outscoring France 3 tries to one (D'Arcy's gift).
MWWSI 2017

Joxer

Quote from: muppet on February 23, 2011, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 23, 2011, 01:20:24 PM
15 Fitzgerald
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 D'arcy
11 Earls
10 O'Gara
9 Reddan
1 Healy
2 Best
3 Ross
4 O'Callaghan
5 O'Connell
6 O'Brien
7 Wallace
8 Heaslip

Grand Slam or not, I am beginning to lose faith in Kidney. D'Arcy starts and Sexton dropped?

With O'Gara starting it looks like we are going to kick for the corners and this is after outscoring France 3 tries to one (D'Arcy's gift).

Looking like the old scenario of boys cant play themselves off the team instead of getting on it.  D'arcy decision is shocking.  McFadden out in a great shift against the French and is the type of player we should be bringing on not dropping altogether.  What would the average age of that team be? 

Donnellys Hollow

How badly does D'Arcy have to play before he's dropped?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

muppet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 23, 2011, 03:22:23 PM
How badly does D'Arcy have to play before he's dropped?

By the law of averages he is due a good game which, when it arrives, will be used a justification for picking him. He has been a great player for us but I think he would actually benefit from being dropped for a game or two.
MWWSI 2017