The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Great seat by the press box for me. We had the winning of that gsme, mistakes and decision making cost us. We also gave away too many penalties in front of the posts. A lot of people around me were cursing the ref. Was he that bad he seemed to let a lot of forward passes go.

Capt Pat

I thought Best missed a few key throws. He needs to improve in that area.

muppet

Couple of posters here (AZ &/or Dinny?) have been calling for Mike Ross for a few years even before he came to Leinster. They were right, we did very well against the french scrum and it is down to him.

Unlucky to lose in the end but I am afraid that was the 2nd place play off. England will fancy their chances against both of those teams. But to end on a positive note it was a much improved performance, still some errors but also a lot of great stuff played.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Well better than last week but still way too many basic errors from Ireland. They played most of the rugby. Scored 3 tries to 1 but silly mistakes kept the scoreboard ticking over for France. Missed a huge chance right at the death to win it. Had Cronin held the ball he may well have crashed over. Had they spun it wide they surely would have scored. O'Leary and D'Arcy again didn't have good games for the 2nd week on the trot. Their spots might be in danger. Hopefully Ferris and Bowe might be back for the next game. Looking like England will be coming to Dublin for the last game hoping to pick up the Grand Slam.

Capt Pat

England shouldnt get too carried away. They havent played a good team yet? Ashton will be well shadowed in future.

Donnellys Hollow

Hard to believe Ireland lost that match. They gifted France points on countless occasions. To outscore them 3 tries to 1 and still lose is not good enough. I argued that we needed changes at hooker, scrum-half and inside centre after the Italy match. I saw nothing today to change my mind. Best is too hit and miss with his darts and adds little in the loose. O'Leary does have some good qualities but he has a tendency to do stupid things at the wrong time - his pointless kick out on the full today being a prime example. I don't think D'Arcy has had a good game for Ireland in a long time. He's been living off his reputation for too long and one of the younger lads deserve a go in the centre.

We still do have a lot of players to come back which is encouraging but France were there for the taking.

It was my first visit to the new ground today. Must admit I was a bit underwhelmed. It's a pity they couldn't have included a decent terrace there.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

QuoteGreat seat by the press box for me.

Same here.

Anyhow - we saw two sides to the loyalty card today, Wallace I thought repaid Kidney's faith with a good performance but O'Leary and D'Arcy showed why they shouldn't have been selected. O'Leary is just too slow getting to the rucks and then tends to be ponderous allowing the defence reorganise and missing a front up tackle like D'Arcy did is unforgivable at Junior level, in fact his decision making today was not at the acquired standard.

But we lost the game because of poor discipline in the 1st half, too many unforced errors and simply did not retain possession very frustrating because we should have won.

Alan Gaffney is ruining our back line attack, his whole philosophy is about looking too exploit opposition weaknesses with video analysis and not playing heads up, the fundamental difference between Leinster and Ireland.

The Scotland selection will be interesting, supporters are losing faith in Kidney such is the fickle nature of sport, if he picks the same team we will simply be on a road to nowhere...
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Before I forget sending on Cronin with minutes left on the clock and Cullen with less than a minute was a disgrace.
#newbridgeornowhere

Go home ref

Had France -2 backed lovely stuff

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 13, 2011, 08:20:24 PM
Before I forget sending on Cronin with minutes left on the clock and Cullen with less than a minute was a disgrace.
To be fair I think he wanted Cronin on to throw the lineout from ROG's penalty and the switch just didn't go through quick enough.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hoof Hearted

Fed up watching this team with all the knock-ons and giving away penalties.
Week in week f**king out thats all you get
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

Now that we might have a tighthead to anchor the scrum, maybe we could have a hooker to throw the ball straight to our players in the lineout. Get our priorities correct in that regard, a scrummaging hooker is not as ,important as good lineout throwing.

I know what you mean about being underwhelmed by the stadium but the aesthetics from where I sat near the press box today today made the stadium look good.

FermPundit

Rory Best's lack of accuracy at the line out has been there all season, even for Ulster. Nigel Brady looks a very far better option even when Best is available. I'm not sure what has happened him. Gordon D'Arcy was disappointing against Italy and he wasn't much better today. His missed tackle was criminal in the lead up to the French try. I'm not sure what changes will be made for the Scotland game. Maybe Earls to centre with D'Arcy missing out and Tommy Bowe returning to the wing if he is fit to play.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

trileacman

Quote from: FermPundit on February 13, 2011, 10:34:11 PM
Rory Best's lack of accuracy at the line out has been there forever, even for Ulster. Nigel Brady looks a very far better option even when Best is available. I'm not sure what has happened him. Gordon D'Arcy was disappointing against Italy and he wasn't much better today. His missed tackle was criminal in the lead up to the French try. I'm not sure what changes will be made for the Scotland game. Maybe Earls to centre with D'Arcy missing out and Tommy Bowe returning to the wing if he is fit to play.
Fixed that for you.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Is Sexton the rugby equivalent of Floyd Patterson - a fine rugby player but cursed with a glass jaw?
His careless play after receiving a few whacks, cost the team 5 points out there.
Has he got the mettle to survive at this level of physicality?