The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2011, 04:30:44 PM
Disappointed for Italy, with a bit more nous maybe they could have gained a better position to drop a deserved winner.

Italy are in the era of moral victories (Ireland v Australia 1991?) but their day will come. They are mass producing good forwards (Mauro Bergamaso wasn't even playing) and will eventually figure out back play.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: trileacman on February 05, 2011, 04:30:24 PM
Quote from: trileacman on February 01, 2011, 02:51:57 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2011, 01:49:59 PM
O'Leary, Fitzgearld and O'Callaghan should not be in the squad never mind starting. Best and Wallace should not be starting but worth a place on the bench.

Very disappointed and Kidney is really just Eddie mark II

What do you suggest o wise one?

Suppose Sexton deserves a chance here but mark my words he will f**k it up yet.
Quote from: muppet on February 05, 2011, 04:15:56 PM
Sexton is the man but O'Gara is the master.

Lucky escape.

Persisting with the pretender Sexton is going to cost us trophies, O'Gara is the real Mc Coy.

Best Irishmen was O'Callaghan by quite a distance, Earls, BOD and O'Connell next. Fitzgerald was a mixed bag but managed well step up from his usual displays for Leinster.

What? Sexton did not put a foot wrong and if we are to compete with thebetter teams Sexton is the man.

I think bringing on O'Gara signalled that we were happy to hold on to a slender 4 point lead and that notion permeated the whole team and was part of why we let the Italians in. Sexton would not have missed that last kick either! Sexton is the future and O'Gara the past!!

Donnellys Hollow

The problem is not at 10. It's at 9. Stringer is still the man to get the backs moving.

Court (for Healy), Stringer and Paddy Wallace to start against the French for me.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bord na Mona man

Italy really should have gone through a few more phases to get the ball closer for the last drop goal attempt.
They had gained yards with each phase before that and shouldn't have rushed it.

Again too many mistakes from Ireland, they probably need to slow it down and be more patient.

muppet

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 05, 2011, 04:48:59 PM
The problem is not at 10. It's at 9. Stringer is still the man to get the backs moving.

Court (for Healy), Stringer and Paddy Wallace to start against the French for me.

Yes to all of that.

RTE panel getting a bit annoying.

They whinge about who was cleaning out (I'd like to see the stats but Donncha would be close to top) and Pope asked did we even win one of their line-outs? I'll let some one else answer that
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Wallace, O'Leary and D'Arcy were just awful

O'Callagahan and Fitzgearld who I wouldn't have selected both did well.

McFadden was solid but Earls was very poor, his decision making was awful, pure and simple you do not kick the ball in the oppostion 22

Sexton did well with that fish inside of him, surprised he was changed but ROG nailed the kick so no problem there

Leamy was playing well but brought the Munster indiscipline to an Irish shirt unacceptable and nearly cost us the game, game by-passed POC and I thought O'Brien was quiet and didn't bring enough physicality

Front 3 had their hands full but worked hard but Healy struggled at scrum time but we expected that.

BOD is BOD but passing was poor, in fact Ireland's execution of the basics was below an acceptable level.

Need changes next week but we got away with the win and will take that.

Italy are just anti-rugby and happy with moral victories
#newbridgeornowhere

sammymaguire

D'arcy should have not come on after half time, jaysus he was tarra bad today, could Kidney not see that at all?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Capt Pat

What was Leamys offense for the yellow card? I thought he was
Ok

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 05, 2011, 05:03:55 PM
Sexton did well with that fish inside of him, surprised he was changed but ROG nailed the kick so no problem there

Sexton did well I thought. His tackling is fantastic and he will hold his place.

O'Gara is a great option off the bench to close out a game (which was the plan when he came on) and of course to go and get the drop goal when you need it.

D'Arcy, Wallace and O'Leary will be under pressure but Kidney doesn't do dramatic changes.

Love to see Ferris and Heaslip back for the French but certainly Heaslip and maybe Ferris look unlikely to play. BOD did well as usual but his missed pass to McFadden, which would have been a certain try, nearly cost us the game.

I thought O'Connell did well early on for a man who hasn't played much. Ran out of steam in the second half alright. Rory Best was very anonymous too although it must have been hard work in that front row.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 05, 2011, 05:09:38 PM
What was Leamys offense for the yellow card? I thought he was
Ok

He made no effort to roll away and ripped the ball away when he was on the ground, stupid stupid stupid.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

POC was poor in the loose but been out for so long it was to be expected.

Scrum-half needs to change, D'Arcy was woeful, can't possibly justify his inclusion next week

Court for Healy and Jennings for Wallace as he will be needed against the French.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Time to go back to basics. Whatever Healy offers in the loose, he isn't doing the bread and butter stuff like scrummaging well enough.

I'd still keep Darcy in. The first priority against the French is to defend well. Paddy Wallace at 12 would get smashed too easily. Darcy's dropping of routine balls is hopefully just one off bad day, rather a fundamental weakness.

If Kidney heeded the calls from here and put Stringer, O'Gara and Wallace at 9, 10 and 12 the French would have a bonanza with such defensively weak channels.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 05, 2011, 05:54:39 PM
Time to go back to basics. Whatever Healy offers in the loose, he isn't doing the bread and butter stuff like scrummaging well enough.

I'd still keep Darcy in. The first priority against the French is to defend well. Paddy Wallace at 12 would get smashed too easily. Darcy's dropping of routine balls is hopefully just one off bad day, rather a fundamental weakness.

If Kidney heeded the calls from here and put Stringer, O'Gara and Wallace at 9, 10 and 12 the French would have a bonanza with such defensively weak channels.

Healy got zero assistance in the scrums from Wallace at key times, we had no 8 man scrum, very disappointing but watching the french get a penalty try I'd definitely pick Court.

Reddan will start and Sexton will start allowing us to play Wallace at 12.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Okay time to take the game into perspective and also to study the current French performance.
First of all Healy needs to be out, not dynamic in the loose today, abysmal in the scrum.
Also Best offered nothing needs changed. Cronin handles and will run well against France.

Watching the France game here, it appears that they will let men run and alot of Scotlands big, hard, runners are gaining ground, hence I think we should favour our Wallace, Heaslip, O'Brien and Ferris. Also it will favour our backs as the French seem to be allowing alot of latitude to the Scots backs.

Our back division should consist of:
Stringer
         Sexton
                 D'Arcy     BOD
McFadden         Fitz          Earls

We have no other choices at 11, 14 or 15 so I think we are stuck with the incumbents and they are all reasonably talented. D'Arcy survives the axe on rep alone. He must produce come Sat, if not P Wallace should be parachuted in immediately. Sexton to spread it and mix, try the French at their own game.

The forwards should be:

Court       Cronin       Ross
   DOC            POC/Cullen
Wallace              O'Brien
          Heaslip

Cronin, Wallace, Heaslip, O'Brien all selected on their ball-carrying ability, run hard at the French and pick holes. DOC was our best lock today, Cullen could partner him if its though POC isn't producing. I think Heaslip may be back (??) but we need something to change it up at the back row. Jennings is not the man for this match. There is no change out of the rucks anymore and the best Scotsmen today are big, strong ball carrying back rowers. As I right a second bull over try by Kelly Brown

The French scrum is based on early engagement, their jumping the gun alot against Scotland and the Scots and your english ref are slow to call it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 05, 2011, 05:57:41 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 05, 2011, 05:54:39 PM

Healy got zero assistance in the scrums from Wallace at key times, we had no 8 man scrum, very disappointing but watching the french get a penalty try I'd definitely pick Court.

Reddan will start and Sexton will start allowing us to play Wallace at 12.
Thats the first I've heard of it. Watching the French game now don't hear James Barclay being blamed for their collapsing scrum. I didnt hear anyone singing Zanni's praise for his scrummaging display against the Irish either.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014