The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 17, 2010, 01:23:23 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 17, 2010, 12:34:22 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 17, 2010, 12:16:20 AM
Fairly certain Australia only select home based players like New Zealand and Wales - think South Africa have relaxed a good bit on this too

I don't think the Welsh ever employed such a policy. Stephen Jones was definitely still getting capped when he was at Montferrand. Ditto Gareth Thomas with Toulouse, Colin Charvis with Newcastle and Rob Howley with Wasps.

Na they didn't in the past but fairly certain they have brought it in in the last couple of seasons

Saturday, 13 November 2010
Wales 25-29 South Africa

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); George North (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Blues), James Hook (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Andy Powell (London Wasps), Martyn Williams (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys).

trileacman

Good performance from Munster but that was the most disgracedly half-arsed performance by Australia I have ever seen. Jesus they were poor IMO. If the BBBC were over that match i'd say the aussies would be docked wages. Shocking.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Celt_Man

Quote from: AFS on November 17, 2010, 11:52:09 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 17, 2010, 01:23:23 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 17, 2010, 12:34:22 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 17, 2010, 12:16:20 AM
Fairly certain Australia only select home based players like New Zealand and Wales - think South Africa have relaxed a good bit on this too

I don't think the Welsh ever employed such a policy. Stephen Jones was definitely still getting capped when he was at Montferrand. Ditto Gareth Thomas with Toulouse, Colin Charvis with Newcastle and Rob Howley with Wasps.

Na they didn't in the past but fairly certain they have brought it in in the last couple of seasons

Saturday, 13 November 2010
Wales 25-29 South Africa

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); George North (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Blues), James Hook (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Andy Powell (London Wasps), Martyn Williams (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys).

I stand correctly... Reckon they must have changed it again  ;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

tyroneboi

I think the Warren Gatland prefers and encourages his players to play in Wales. Dwayne Peel is probably the best example of this as he is overlooked quite a lot in terms of selection since he moved to Sale a few years ago. 

tyroneboi

Ireland Team (to play New Zealand, Guinness Series 2010, Aviva Stadium, November 20th, 17:30)

15 - Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrcok College/Leinster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
17 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
18 - Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)

Joxer

Quote from: tyroneboi on November 18, 2010, 01:17:17 PM
Ireland Team (to play New Zealand, Guinness Series 2010, Aviva Stadium, November 20th, 17:30)

15 - Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrcok College/Leinster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
17 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
18 - Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)

The words 'cleaned out' come to mind!

Dinny Breen

Mick O'Driscoll  :o
Rob Kearney  :o
Cian Healey  :o
Eoin Reddan  :o
David Wallace  :o
Rory Best  :o
Donncha O'Callaghan  :o
Gordon D'Arcy  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

This could get ugly quickly. cue Sexton getting mauled, and ROG coming on for 15 minutes and scoring a try or something to make it 45-5

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2010, 01:55:57 PM
gad to see you have at last joined up in the 'darcy is no longer good enough ' gang...

while I used to think reddan was the answer when he was at wasps - he has not been good enough since then.
wallace too old, o'callaghan has not recaptured the ferocity and dynamism of his early 20's and
mick o driscoll ?
as for healy, kearney and best- we dont have better in their positions i'd have thought?
luke fitzgeralds kicking and complete lack of skill at kicking a ball last weekend completely shocked me. Uless that was just a bad day, I wouldnt want to see him at FB again !

Capt Pat

Who do you want to play instead of these guys. They are the best we have at this time almost.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 18, 2010, 02:50:21 PM

With this line-up, am surprised that John Hayes isn't starting!
And that Ollie Campbell isn't at no. 10!

Who do you want to play instead of these guys. They are the best we have at this time almost.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

muppet

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 18, 2010, 03:24:25 PM

With this line-up, am surprised that John Hayes isn't starting!
And that Ollie Campbell isn't at no. 10!

O'Callaghan and Wallace never let us down. If O'Connell was beside Donncha we wouldn't be too worried about our locks. But Mick O'Driscoll is a man who never made it at Munster and is hardly the future either. Why?

I think D'Arcy is picked to tackle his direct opponent. I'd love to see BOD move in and pick Earls or put Earls at 15. Healy and Best are at a similar level to the alternatives.

I'd like to have seen Stringer on with Sexton though.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Mick O'Driscoll - Toner and Tuohy are better long-term options. Not sure what's happened to Tuohy though? He looked useful on the summer tour.

Rob Kearney - He's turned into a clone of Girvan Dempsey. Safe and solid under a high ball but very little other than kick and chase going forward. Geordan Murphy is a better footballer and counter-attacker. He can't tackle to save his life but Kearney is hardly Brian Lima either.

Cian Healy - He's gone backwards in the last twelve months but we've very little else in the front row. Maybe try Court at loose-head and give either Hagan or Ross a try at tight-head. The scrum can't get any worse in fairness.

Eoin Reddan - Another position where we're woefully short. Stringer is the best out of all our options here which is a huge concern. Getting desperate here but maybe Frank Murphy is worth a shot?

David Wallace - Top class player but his form is declining which is understandable with age. O'Brien hardly set the world alight last weekend though.

Rory Best - Cronin's darts are no worse than his so why do we not start with the player that will offer more around the park?

Donncha O'Callaghan - A solid workhorse but needs a more dynamic player alongside him to lead the lineout. O'Connell can't get back quick enough.

Gordon Darcy - Hasn't played well for Ireland for a long time. Moving O'Driscoll to 12 and bringing in Earls or shifting either Bowe or Fitzgerald to 13 would be my preferred option. I still reckon Kidney missed a trick by not selecting James Downey in the squad. He's playing well for the best club side in England and he offers a ball-carrying presence in the centre that Ireland haven't had since Kevin Maggs and Rob Henderson. All our options in the centre at the moment are too similar.

It looks like the golden generation is over. The 6N could turn into a horror show for Ireland unless O'Connell returns and the likes of BOD, Sexton, Kearney etc hit form. Scotland and Italy are the only two teams I'd fancy us to beat at the moment and both of those games will be away from home.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mackers

Rory Best can't hit the townland he was reared in with his throws but I presume he's in as he is an excellent scrummager.
I agree with DH, the golden generation is over. I'd take a 20 point beating, if offered, in a heartbeat.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 18, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

Mick O'Driscoll - Toner and Tuohy are better long-term options. Not sure what's happened to Tuohy though? He looked useful on the summer tour.

Rob Kearney - He's turned into a clone of Girvan Dempsey. Safe and solid under a high ball but very little other than kick and chase going forward. Geordan Murphy is a better footballer and counter-attacker. He can't tackle to save his life but Kearney is hardly Brian Lima either.

Cian Healy - He's gone backwards in the last twelve months but we've very little else in the front row. Maybe try Court at loose-head and give either Hagan or Ross a try at tight-head. The scrum can't get any worse in fairness.

Eoin Reddan - Another position where we're woefully short. Stringer is the best out of all our options here which is a huge concern. Getting desperate here but maybe Frank Murphy is worth a shot?

David Wallace - Top class player but his form is declining which is understandable with age. O'Brien hardly set the world alight last weekend though.

Rory Best - Cronin's darts are no worse than his so why do we not start with the player that will offer more around the park?

Donncha O'Callaghan - A solid workhorse but needs a more dynamic player alongside him to lead the lineout. O'Connell can't get back quick enough.

Gordon Darcy - Hasn't played well for Ireland for a long time. Moving O'Driscoll to 12 and bringing in Earls or shifting either Bowe or Fitzgerald to 13 would be my preferred option. I still reckon Kidney missed a trick by not selecting James Downey in the squad. He's playing well for the best club side in England and he offers a ball-carrying presence in the centre that Ireland haven't had since Kevin Maggs and Rob Henderson. All our options in the centre at the moment are too similar.

It looks like the golden generation is over. The 6N could turn into a horror show for Ireland unless O'Connell returns and the likes of BOD, Sexton, Kearney etc hit form. Scotland and Italy are the only two teams I'd fancy us to beat at the moment and both of those games will be away from home.

DH, on the button.

In my opinion Kidney has wasted a great opportunity to blood young players and try different combinations against the best. Why I admire Declan Kidney for his achievements he has stood still as a coach and is letting us all down.
#newbridgeornowhere