The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Being Irish and the usually distain we as Irish have for anyone being full of themselves, I find it really hard during this World Cup to get solidly behind the team.

The exaggeration of Irelands position as a force in Rugby, the back slapping, the constant talking up.
To be fair - bar a minority, the team themselves carry themselves well.

That said hopefully we win the damn thing.

RedHand88

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2023, 01:46:12 PM
Being Irish and the usually distain we as Irish have for anyone being full of themselves, I find it really hard during this World Cup to get solidly behind the team.

The exaggeration of Irelands position as a force in Rugby, the back slapping, the constant talking up.
To be fair - bar a minority, the team themselves carry themselves well.

That said hopefully we win the damn thing.

You mean stuff like this.

https://x.com/haribaldijones/status/1703033093680988525?s=46&t=zgzuYWfgC5dD3Y5jl1Xd6A

Tony Baloney

This is gonna be a 100 pointer. Waste of time.

thewobbler

I see Gatland wants a 24 team RWC.

It won't be entertaining. It won't be fair. It won't be enjoyable.

The only impact it would have on the outcome of the competition is in giving top players a further opportunity to get injured.

Aye let's do that Warren.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2023, 04:24:23 PM
I see Gatland wants a 24 team RWC.

It won't be entertaining. It won't be fair. It won't be enjoyable.

The only impact it would have on the outcome of the competition is in giving top players a further opportunity to get injured.

Aye let's do that Warren.
World Rugby want a system that guarantees participation by USA and Canada as they're desperate to make inroads in N. America, especially with a RWC coming up in the US.

An Watcher

Wales could be in a spot of bother after the fiji win?  Yes, beat Australia and they win the group.  Lose and they coukd be going home

JPGJOHNNYG

Wales deserve to go home they have been w**k. I fear that yet again they could find themselves in a semi after doing next to nothing. Makes a mockery of Ireland's QF issues over the yrs

Wildweasel74

Denying Australia a point for been within 7 could bite them in the end Australia a better team than Wales though.

seafoid

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 17, 2023, 08:06:43 PM
Wales deserve to go home they have been w**k. I fear that yet again they could find themselves in a semi after doing next to nothing. Makes a mockery of Ireland's QF issues over the yrs
They were one of Ireland's QF issues at least once , in 2011.

Capt Pat

Japan are giving England a good game. England only lead 13-9 at half time.

It makes you wonder why Argentina couldn't give 14 man England a game.

weareros

Two forward passes in that English try.

JPGJOHNNYG

Not sure how Japan are actually losing this ffs

Rudi

So far this world cup has been shite. Mistake after mistake, balls spilled, poor scrums & very basic mistakes by particularly Trier 2 countries. Very hard to watch. Poor game management by tier 2 sides. Japan should be winning this game, but basic handling & game management costing them. Pure frustration.

An Watcher

I agree, there was one good game on the opening weekend and one this weekend.  Both involved fiji.  They're no great shakes but are putting it up to higher ranked rugby nations.  Funny watching the commentary trying to say how fantastic its been. 

Captain Obvious

So Wales can top the group and knock Australia out in their next game?