The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Nanderson on August 14, 2023, 10:54:14 AM
Romaine Ntamack out of the world cup with an ACL injury. Big blow for France as him and Dupont are dynamite together

I know you can't read a whole pile into these warm up games but Scotland's offloading game caused the French big issues as they couldn't use their power in close quarters and those big men were moved about a lot, creating gaps.

Scotland will give Ireland their fill of it in the WC..

Hound

Quote from: johnnycool on August 14, 2023, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: Nanderson on August 14, 2023, 10:54:14 AM
Romaine Ntamack out of the world cup with an ACL injury. Big blow for France as him and Dupont are dynamite together

I know you can't read a whole pile into these warm up games but Scotland's offloading game caused the French big issues as they couldn't use their power in close quarters and those big men were moved about a lot, creating gaps.

Scotland will give Ireland their fill of it in the WC..
Scotland a much better team than England or Wales at this moment. Draw is a disaster for both Ireland and Scotland. Hopefully some of the lower seeds can give Wales and England a beating

Dag Dog

Farrell in the clear. The rugby CCCC is as lenient as the GAA one for letting fellas off the hook.

marty34

Quote from: Dag Dog on August 15, 2023, 01:41:15 PM
Farrell in the clear. The rugby CCCC is as lenient as the GAA one for letting fellas off the hook.
[/quote

That's a joke!]

gallsman

screenexile

I don't understand how this happened... he must have a good lawyer!!

Yes George moved the Welsh lad in the direction of Farrell but he didn't even try to lower himself, he readied himself for the shoulder hit and pushed it through. Ridiculous decision especially given previous form.

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on August 15, 2023, 04:59:34 PM

Yes George moved the Welsh lad in the direction of Farrell but he didn't even try to lower himself, he readied himself for the shoulder hit and pushed it through. Ridiculous decision especially given previous form.

Right arm tucked in for the shoulder charge, no attempt to wrap with it at all..

World Rugby filled the togs on this one.
Edit, it was 6Nations Rugby who made this decision, big pressure being put on world rugby to review it and indeed from quite a few English rugby journalists and pundits

Dag Dog

Supposedly they want all the big players to play at the World Cup so they're being super lenient.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on August 15, 2023, 04:59:34 PM

George didn't move him at all, that's the direction he was going.

They have made a complete balls of this, as "always illegal" actions are not entitled to mitigation under their own protocols, and a shoulder to the head meets that definition. Despite the attempt to claim it doesn't, it has natively undermined the bunker system.

Saw it pointed out that with Basham heading towards the touch line, the natural shoulder to tackle correctly with was the left. Instead Farrell goes with the right and drives upwards.

A really retrograde step and terrible precedent to set.

Estimator

World Rugby involved now.
Appealing the original decision.
Ulster League Champions 2009

gallsman

Think I'm more surprised that they've appealed than him getting off in the first place.

NAG1

It will be some sort of fudge in the end, will give him a game ban or something.

The RWC will need as many high profile players as they can to help promote the tournament and like it or not he is high profile.

gallsman

I don't think they can do that. If the "no mitigation for always illegal acts" time is applied, I think the entry point is 6 weeks, non negotiable. No tackle school, no leniency for a clean record as he doesn't have one. He might get a week off for conduct following the incident but if the appeal standards he'll almost certainly miss the Argentina game.

weareros

Good try by Bundee Aki but mostly dirty diesel play from both teams so far, as you'd expect in warm up.

galwayman

Ross Byrne not exactly taking his chance today so far.