The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 03, 2023, 10:35:53 PM
Munster simply took their eye off the ball at underage and weren't getting the players through. This is evident from their low numbers in Irish underage teams. In fairness there does appear to be an upturn this past few years which hopefully bodes well for both club and country.

We've won back to back grand slams at u20 and 3 in the last 4 years which is superb. For me the likes of Murray, O'Mahony etc should be let go post RWC and those younger players fast tracked. The French do it. Why can't we.

Sam Prendergast looks the most natural 10 I've seen in a long time
Uncanny resemblance to Sexton. However he'll have to join the queue at Leinster. Personally I'd like that bluffer Billy Burns sent back to England and Ulster to sign Prendergast!
Underage is one part but there is zero competition at the interpro level because one team is so far ahead. Leinster can only play 15 at a time. The IRFU needs to start thinking differently and balance the scales . Ulster haven't won anything since 2006. Munster since 2011. The system doesn't even work for Leinster.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2023, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 03, 2023, 10:35:53 PM
Munster simply took their eye off the ball at underage and weren't getting the players through. This is evident from their low numbers in Irish underage teams. In fairness there does appear to be an upturn this past few years which hopefully bodes well for both club and country.

We've won back to back grand slams at u20 and 3 in the last 4 years which is superb. For me the likes of Murray, O'Mahony etc should be let go post RWC and those younger players fast tracked. The French do it. Why can't we.

Sam Prendergast looks the most natural 10 I've seen in a long time
Uncanny resemblance to Sexton. However he'll have to join the queue at Leinster. Personally I'd like that bluffer Billy Burns sent back to England and Ulster to sign Prendergast!
Underage is one part but there is zero competition at the interpro level because one team is so far ahead. Leinster can only play 15 at a time. The IRFU needs to start thinking differently and balance the scales . Ulster haven't won anything since 2006. Munster since 2011. The system doesn't even work for Leinster.

You could say it is working for Leinster.

They're always at the top of the European tree, in semi-finals and finals.

Maybe to do with money also, I'm not sure.

Walter Cronc

The elephant in the room (for want of a better expression) is Leinster has approx 8-10 private schools with full time coaches. This doesn't cost the IRFU a penny and the result is a production line of ready made professionals.

In New Zealand they've a draft system where they plug gaps and weaknesses in the provincial teams with the top academy players. That's done to an extent in Ireland now with other provinces picking up lads who don't make the Leinster academy.

Not easy getting lads to leave Dublin mind. The system is working well for the IRFU, just needs a few tweaks.

seafoid

Leinster also had stability

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/0927/1325742-leinsters-future-is-uncertain-after-years-of-stability/

The changes at the province since Cullen took charge in 2015 have been incremental; Stuart Lancaster's arrival in 2016, Felipe Contepomi coming on board in 2018 after Girvan Dempsey's departure, and John Fogarty's promotion to the national team seeing Robin McBryde join in 2019.
During his seven-year tenure, he's seen multiple head coaches and directors of rugby come and go across the other three provinces. At Munster it was Rassie Erasmus and Jacques Nienaber, followed by Johann van Graan and Stephen Larkham, with the high-profile departure of Jerry Flannery and Felix Jones in between

This was 6 months ago
https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/1010/1328358-jackman-munster-are-a-province-in-turmoil/

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2023/04/05/gordon-darcy-concentration-of-leinster-players-within-irish-system-a-cause-for-concern/

We are spoiled by the fact that we have a fantastic group of players and an excellent coaching set-up across the system. But the concentration of players from Leinster is alarming.

marty34

Is attendence down to 27, 000 this evening for Leinster game?

I think I read that somewhere...because of short turn around?

Why would that be?

Capt Pat

Yes the upper decks of the stands are empty.

Leinster are down to 14 men here and 7 points ahead.

gallsman

Craig Doyle is f**king unbearable.

marty34

Strong showing by Leinster. Only got going when they went down to 14.

Surely they'll not slip up again.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: marty34 on April 07, 2023, 05:47:26 PM
Is attendence down to 27, 000 this evening for Leinster game?

I think I read that somewhere...because of short turn around?

Why would that be?
They only played Ulster last Sat so I'd say the guts of a 30k attendance wasn't bad in the time available.

Very professional 2nd half there this evening. Leicester have some good players but not enough strength in depth to trouble Leonster over the 80. Tougher fixtures ahead against Toulouse (probably).

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2023, 03:56:18 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2023/04/05/gordon-darcy-concentration-of-leinster-players-within-irish-system-a-cause-for-concern/

We are spoiled by the fact that we have a fantastic group of players and an excellent coaching set-up across the system. But the concentration of players from Leinster is alarming.
So why are we signing South Africans to play for the national team?

Walter Cronc

Leicester coach Wigglesworth giving off apart the money Leinster have/spend compared to them. What planet is he on!

Yes you can point to the private schools system but not like Leicester are poor relations. Biggest club in England and regularly poach players from other clubs on big salaries including Pollard at 10.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 08, 2023, 10:13:13 AM
Leicester coach Wigglesworth giving off apart the money Leinster have/spend compared to them. What planet is he on!

Yes you can point to the private schools system but not like Leicester are poor relations. Biggest club in England and regularly poach players from other clubs on big salaries including Pollard at 10.

Club v association owned franchise. I can see his point.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2023, 01:16:52 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 08, 2023, 10:13:13 AM

Club v association owned franchise. I can see his point.

Well what do they want. The English clubs chose to move away from the RFU - more control and autonomy (profits). Plus their player pool is vast - biggest club in England!!! Leinster are the best run club in Europe (from an Ulster supporter).

gallsman

Austin Healy is one of the biggest embarrassments around in the sports commentary world.

La Rochelle defence is terrifying. Exeter are good but thick it should still end up as a rematch of last year's final.