The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: bennydorano on July 20, 2022, 12:04:09 AM
Professionalism has been much better for Northern Hemisphere rugby than Southern. All the big money is in England & France but the other European nations are benefiting from proximity.
Maybe partly because it levelled the playing field somewhat.
But you are right, England and France are huge countries compared to NZ and Oz and the money available is on a different level to what can be generated down under.

Gmac

Quote from: Franko on July 19, 2022, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 19, 2022, 10:36:07 PM
Never got the Lions overreaction too anytime they win. How is it a big deal for a combination side to beat a team that most of the individual countries beat and where a few, if not all of these countries, may be ranked higher than the lions opposition.

I can understand the reaction to the Irish victory

Except for the twats calling it the 'greatest ever achievement in Irish sport'

They've lost the run of themselves a bit

The Lions however!

A hyper-marketed load of shite

A rugby version of the All-Stars tour

It started as a piss-up for the lads - until someone realised they could squeeze a few quid out of it because gullible fools could be talked into believing it was a great competition
i have been at an all stars tour game a few years ago and to say that was a load of shite would insult shite , but the second test between SA and the lions in 2009 for example was an unbelievable physical contest and a great a game and would be anything but a friendly match , the hyperbole that surrounds the lions I don't care for but the games themselves are normally pretty good.

tiempo

Quote from: onefineday on July 20, 2022, 01:38:42 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 20, 2022, 12:04:09 AM
Professionalism has been much better for Northern Hemisphere rugby than Southern. All the big money is in England & France but the other European nations are benefiting from proximity.
Maybe partly because it levelled the playing field somewhat.
But you are right, England and France are huge countries compared to NZ and Oz and the money available is on a different level to what can be generated down under.

It certainly did because prior to professionalism NZ, SA, Aus were pro's in all but name, whereas the NH were a lot more aligned with the amateur ethos

Franko

Quote from: Gmac on July 20, 2022, 09:47:54 AM
Never got the Lions overreaction too anytime they win. How is it a big deal for a combination side to beat a team that most of the individual countries beat and where a few, if not all of these countries, may be ranked higher than the lions opposition.

The Lions however!

It started as a piss-up for the lads - until someone realised they could squeeze a few quid out of it because gullible fools could be talked into believing it was a great competition
i have been at an all stars tour game a few years ago and to say that was a load of shite would insult shite , but the second test between SA and the lions in 2009 for example was an unbelievable physical contest and a great a game and would be anything but a friendly match , the hyperbole that surrounds the lions I don't care for but the games themselves are normally pretty good.

100% - I didn't say the games were not enjoyable as a stand alone spectacle - they generally are

But so are the Kilmacud 7's

Getting agitated about the result and celebrating a victory as a great sporting achievement is a bit silly

Itchy

The Lions however!

That's the greatest post off all time Franko.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on July 20, 2022, 11:34:16 AM

The Lions however!

100% - I didn't say the games were not enjoyable as a stand alone spectacle - they generally are

Getting agitated about the result and celebrating a victory as a great sporting achievement is a bit silly

Is it ok to celebrate the National team wins, regardless of the 'competition' or sport and whoever hyperbole's it just ignore that based on how you see it?

As for Kilmacuds that's a brilliant competition ( when ya win it ;) )
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 01:42:19 PM

The Lions however!

Is it ok to celebrate the National team wins, regardless of the 'competition' or sport and whoever hyperbole's it just ignore that based on how you see it?

Of course.

But when did taking the piss out of the goys become forbidden?

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 01:42:19 PM

The Lions however!

Where did I say you couldn't celebrate national wins?

If you read back, you'll see me clearly stating that I understand people celebrating the Irish team's result

I was delighted with it too, but stopped short demanding a national holiday be declared  ::)

Kilmacud 7's is indeed a great competition - but there's not a single player in the GAA that starts a season with a target of a Kilmacud 7's win

Because it's a makey-uppy bit of fun, that is really only taken seriously when you're actually on the pitch

And unlike they D4 goys' marketing dep't - the GAA haven't managed to convince us that this contrived bit of extra-curricular fun should be considered a serious sporting competition

Milltown Row2

I just asked is it ok to celebrate? If it is then I agree with most of your points..

Some people love the rugby and that's evident by the amount of sell out tickets at the Aviva for their games, hell Ravenhill gets a big gate every week, so there's plenty of people interested in how well they have done and with the rankings (since this friendly) has placed them number one it's made it even better..

Agree on the Lions trips

Hyperbole stuff for any sport can be cringy, hopefully not a false dawn but my money is on France at home anyways...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 06:05:28 PM
I just asked is it ok to celebrate? If it is then I agree with most of your points..

Some people love the rugby and that's evident by the amount of sell out tickets at the Aviva for their games, hell Ravenhill gets a big gate every week, so there's plenty of people interested in how well they have done and with the rankings (since this friendly) has placed them number one it's made it even better..

Agree on the Lions trips

Hyperbole stuff for any sport can be cringy, hopefully not a false dawn but my money is on France at home anyways...

When you start talking about rankings though...  It's a bit contrived when that's the best bit about a win.

Franko

Agree on the Lions trips

OK.

Yes.

You are allowed to celebrate

Hope that clears up any confusion  ::)

Chrisht

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on July 20, 2022, 11:00:04 PM

Agree on the Lions trips

OK.

Yes.

Chrisht

Keep your knickers on next time  ;D

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 11:10:37 PM

Agree on the Lions trips

OK.

Yes.

Chrisht

It was the sort of question a child would ask

So I addressed you accordingly

8)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on July 20, 2022, 11:13:39 PM

Agree on the Lions trips

OK.

Yes.

Chrisht

8)

That's great I'm so put in my place with those responses. Will sleep well tonight

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 11:15:37 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 20, 2022, 11:13:39 PM

Agree on the Lions trips

OK.

Yes.

Chrisht

8)

That's great I'm so put in my place with those responses. Will sleep well tonight

I don't think it's the gah board that's gonna put you to sleep tonight!

Things will seem clearer in the morning