The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It's either allowed or not, if it's within the rules then why are people so bothered?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: bennydorano on July 17, 2022, 10:16:35 AM
The Crossmaglen teams that won multiple titles hoovered up talent from surrounding clubs for years, I'd be fairly certain they are not unique in GAA circles, every sport loves a blow in.

Agreed. A certain Dublin club won plenty doing the same. However said ayers are perfectly eligible to play for their new clubs. Irish citizens are eligible to play soccer for Ireland. Then we have rugby employing non Irish citizens to play for Ireland.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 10:19:19 AM
It's either allowed or not, if it's within the rules then why are people so bothered?

It's not 'bothered' per say.

I would just prefer if tbe IRFU called the national side the league select it is and got in with it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2022, 10:22:25 AM

I would just prefer if tbe IRFU called the national side the league select it is and got in with it.

As someone said already other nations were doing it long before the IRFU ...

there's probably not a national team in any sport that hasn't someone playing for a country they weren't born in or had a granny that was born there.

Grealish and Rice are two examples of players when given the opportunity picked them best team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 10:29:24 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2022, 10:22:25 AM

As someone said already other nations were doing it long before the IRFU ...

there's probably not a national team in any sport that hasn't someone playing for a country they weren't born in or had a granny that was born there.

Grealish and Rice are two examples of players when given the opportunity picked them best team

So international rugby should be repranded. The point holds - these are employees of the IRFU, not national teamrepresentatives. This is, as you well know, very different to diaspora citizens playing for an international side.

Milltown Row2

Do the Irish soccer National team pay players to play for their country? The English are paid £2000 grand an appearance which from 2008 they have given to charities

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 10:51:38 AM
Do the Irish soccer National team pay players to play for their country? The English are paid £2000 grand an appearance which from 2008 they have given to charities

Every international soccer player is entitled to a union negotiared per diem. Nearly every player doesn't take it. But it is't £2m a game. I understand it's around €2,000.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2022, 10:55:49 AM

Every international soccer player is entitled to a union negotiared per diem. Nearly every player doesn't take it. But it is't £2m a game. I understand it's around €2,000.

So they are paid? Employed for the day of the game? Right

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2022, 10:55:49 AM

So they are paid? Employed for the day of the game? Right

In the same way intercounty players are...

If you want to go to these lengths to make some pointless comparison that's your problem. The rest of us can tell the difference between a grant, a per diem and a contracted employee.

Milltown Row2

I didn't go out if my way at all, one's complaining players from outside playing for National teams, if it's within the rules it's within the rules... you're the one looking to make things different..

If you're not interested in the sport why comment on it?

quit yo jibbajabba

On MR2NIs gravestone - "He loved an argument so he did"

Dafuq has countries payin players got to do with anythin

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 11:22:15 AM
I didn't go out if my way at all, one's complaining players from outside playing for National teams, if it's within the rules it's within the rules... you're the one looking to make things different..

If you're not interested in the sport why comment on it?

I am interested in the sport...

There is 'outside' and there is 'outside'.

If you can't make a distinction between moving to a new parish and changing clubs and actively scouring South Africa for teenagers to play in tbe Irish team in 5 plus years time, then good luck.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 17, 2022, 11:28:26 AM

He is saying employees of the IRFU being the only people who can play rugby for Ireland is the exact same as a standard per diem all soccer International players get.

I'm sure in his head there is some form of coherent point, but it isn't appearing on my screen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 17, 2022, 11:28:26 AM

I've no idea why bb2 brought paying into but apparently it's a big thing, but the soccer lads only get a grant  :o

As for scouring for players, big jack didn't do that!!

I'll not be having a gravestone  ;D

Captain Scarlet

I think that rugby and the media leave no room to simply admire the players without feeling the need to ram HISTORIC TEST down your throat. If you don't buy into the mania you are clearly a begrudger but we will ignore the fact that it is a minority sport punching way above it's weight in terms of coverage.

Most people never felt the weight of an oval ball but will happily jump on the bandwagon and enjoy a day out when things are going well. I'm all for celebrating the team but even I get annoyed with some of the hyperbole.

It's OK to admit that rugby is a niche sport in most countries and it's also OK to say we are really good at that sport.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.