The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2022, 11:54:45 PM
Cascarino should never have played for the Republic FFS!

Ireland  ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 17, 2022, 12:19:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 12:08:17 AM
The rules are there. While big Tony took the piss (and admitted it) if the opportunity is there to use players from other countries the angst or annoyance should be directed at why this is allowed to happen

Cascarino was fine to play for Ireland though? Adoption is not an issue and an adopted person is treated the very same as a blood relative when it comes to nationality

I said the rules are there, it was Tony that said he shouldn't have.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2022, 12:08:17 AM
The rules are there. While big Tony took the piss (and admitted it) if the opportunity is there to use players from other countries the angst or annoyance should be directed at why this is allowed to happen
How did he take the piss?
He was eligible for an Irish passport and to play for Ireland, the whole shock revelation about his mother's adoption was to generate headlines and sell books.
The whole point of the legal process of adoption is to confer the same rights to an adopted child as to biological children.

pbat

My bigger concern is how the hell he got 89 caps???

Turf

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 16, 2022, 10:51:38 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 16, 2022, 10:49:44 PM
Quote from: pbat on July 16, 2022, 09:35:10 PM
Lowe, Aki, Gibson-Park, Treadwell, Hanson and Bealham I think, Carberry born in New Zealand but moved here at 7 so wouldn't count him as "foreign"

Never mind the fact that Carberry's parents are Irish.

*as well as a fair few on the football list no doubt but that wont stop MR2 (NI)
I would have thought most of the football list have Irish heritage, as in a parent, grandparent etc that was Irish. Are the rugby lads the same? It's a genuine question as I don't really follow much rugby.

Ghost

Quote from: Turf on July 17, 2022, 06:51:10 AM
Lowe, Aki, Gibson-Park, Treadwell, Hanson and Bealham I think, Carberry born in New Zealand but moved here at 7 so wouldn't count him as "foreign"

*as well as a fair few on the football list no doubt but that wont stop MR2 (NI)
I would have thought most of the football list have Irish heritage, as in a parent, grandparent etc that was Irish. Are the rugby lads the same? It's a genuine question as I don't really follow much rugby.

As far as I know in recent years CJ Stander, Aki, Lowe, Gibson Park and Kleyn have all qualified to play for Ireland through the residency rule...Rob Herring could be another, not certain on him and there's probably others I've missed but the likes.of carberry, bealham, hanson and Treadwell all have a parent/grandparent as you say.

Rufus T Firefly

Wonderful sporting occasion yesterday and a huge result, which was evidenced by the range of conflicting and raw emotions from so many of the participants - players and management. Despite now being number one in the world, the chances of us becoming World Champions are remote. However we can comfort ourselves in the knowledge that when it comes to the begrudgery World Cup, we are almost certain to retain our crown.

I note also the references being made by the begrudgers to how many foreign born players featured for us yesterday. This issue has been going on in rugby for decades, long before Ireland got in on the act, with Australia and New Zealand in particular taking the best talent from the Pacific Islands. That talent helped them become world leaders (as evidenced by 5 World Cup triumphs) which of course the begrudgers used to highlight the poverty of our own talent in not getting beyond a World Cup quarter-final.

A famous win yesterday and victory in the series, but ironically - as this thread shows - the Irish rugby team just cannot win. 

Nanderson

Why is the pool stages for the rugby world cup always done 3 years before the draw. Would it not be a better indication of where teams are placed to just do it a year before once they know who all has qualified. To get a good draw for the pool stages you need to peak the year after a world cup which seems strange (and obviously peak at the world cup too)

At the minute in the rankings pool A has france ranked 2nd in the world and new zealand 4th. pool b has ireland ranked 1 and south africa 3. so at least 2 of the top 4 will go out at the quarter stages

seafoid

Quote from: Ghost on July 17, 2022, 07:34:26 AM

As far as I know in recent years CJ Stander, Aki, Lowe, Gibson Park and Kleyn have all qualified to play for Ireland through the residency rule...Rob Herring could be another, not certain on him and there's probably others I've missed but the likes.of carberry, bealham, hanson and Treadwell all have a parent/grandparent as you say.
Based on yesterday, Ireland have a very good development system. It's a pity about Leinster

seafoid

Meanwhile Ryan Jones, 41, 3 grand slams, has early onset dementia.

Eire90

Quote from: Hound on July 16, 2022, 01:27:37 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 16, 2022, 11:05:29 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 16, 2022, 10:59:50 AM
Super win and fantastic to win the test series. Some phenomenal performances, Sam Cane was distraught.

If we keep everyone fit, and play to the best of our ability, we've still only have a 50% chance (at best) of winning the World Cup quarter-final - given the draw. And no injuries come the World Cup would be unlikely! So we should just enjoy this win and see what comes.

Anyone who calls test rugby series or test cricket series "friendlies" just don't understand the sports. But congrats for coming on a thread you know nothing about and highlighting your absolute ignorance!

I hear this over and over and over again yet I've never heard any rugby fan explain the difference.
Ireland beating Scotland in the Nations League was a bigger achievement. At least it was a competitive game.
You judge everything by the rules of one sport?

The best team in English soccer is the one who wins the league, not the knockout competition. Therefore the best team in Gaelic is the one that wins the league, not the knockout competition. Your comment is equally ridiculous to that comment

Eoin Morgan captained England cricket team to win a World Cup. Yet he's not good enough to play test cricket, which has no league or knockout element at all (or barely anyway), but is still regarded by many as the most prestigious form of the game.

Test rugby is very important part of the game, and not at all like a soccer friendly. And if that annoys people, then they should ignore the thread and ignore people basking in the glory of defeating the All Blacks in their own backyard.  The NZ players and crowd were sick as dogs, that'll give you an idea of how important this was.

test cricket now has a world test championship and teams that finished 1st and 2nd play in a championship test

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Ghost on July 17, 2022, 07:34:26 AM

Jared Payne and Quinn Roux also qualified under the residency rule in recent times

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2022, 10:41:14 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 16, 2022, 10:32:47 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2022, 10:25:23 PM
NI...

I know.

Just a copy and paste job but sure I'm glad the soccer lads are happy with the English welsh and Scot's lads

Do I not recall Charltons policy being deeply unpopular, hence it was ditched.

Also your list had Irish citizenship. The goys don't even bother.

bennydorano

The Crossmaglen teams that won multiple titles hoovered up talent from surrounding clubs for years, I'd be fairly certain they are not unique in GAA circles, every sport loves a blow in.

Baile Brigín 2

The rugby players sign for a provincial franchise and if are good enough the IRFU will hire them to play for Ireland. Heritage irrelevant