The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2022, 07:58:20 AM
Quote from: Gmac on March 14, 2022, 07:11:32 PM
Remember 2007 Ireland slaughtered the English in croke  park ? well England made it to the wc final that year and we were absolutely brutal in the wc,  England normally get the World Cup preparations right us on  The other hand not so much.
In 2015 they didn't get past the pool stage.
That's why Farrell and Lancaster are working for the IRFU now.

And on their home turf..

I'd have the same concerns in relation to WC readiness and want to see more of Carbery at this level for the very reason we seem to go to WC's with too many players past their peak and being reliant on them, thinking Cian Healey, possibly Furlong, Beirne, Murray, Mahony etc etc, hard to age some of those lads in all fairness.

There's a bit of cover for most of those but not to the levels we think.

screenexile

I don't think Healy and O'Mahony would be up to it for another WC.

I think Murray would be fine as an impact sub and Furlong and Beirne are still top level players. At this stage Henderson is only fit for that role as well he was out there too long on Saturday.

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on March 15, 2022, 11:23:16 AM

I think Murray would be fine as an impact sub and Furlong and Beirne are still top level players. At this stage Henderson is only fit for that role as well he was out there too long on Saturday.

Which if any of those forwards are able to play the full game at international level now, 1-8 could nearly be replaced in any game.

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on March 15, 2022, 11:26:42 AM
Quote from: screenexile on March 15, 2022, 11:23:16 AM

Which if any of those forwards are able to play the full game at international level now, 1-8 could nearly be replaced in any game.

Probably fair but I don't think you're getting 60mins out of O'Mahony/Henderson/Healy and that should really be a minimum requirement given the injuries you get at a WC tournament.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2022, 01:59:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2022, 01:54:05 PM
I'll be putting my money on a French win by at least 9 points.. Even though for large parts Ireland were rubbish, England haven't been great
Yes for all their gallant defence against a misfiring Ireland team, they scored zero tries. Having said that France didn't look amazing against Wales but crucially they didn't go all "France" and hit the self-destruct button when the going got tough.

On another note, I'd recommend "Slammed" on BBC - excellent 3 parter on Wales rugby team from 1998-2008 and all the politics that went along with it.

Just watched slammed. Thanks for the heads up. Great show although i felt frustrated watching it and reminding myself that an ok welsh team yo yo between grand slams and near wooden spoon seasons but O Sullivans Ireland team for the best part of a decade were consistently very good but didnt win a single championship nevermind a slam

seafoid

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 15, 2022, 01:33:44 PM
I'll be putting my money on a French win by at least 9 points.. Even though for large parts Ireland were rubbish, England haven't been great
Yes for all their gallant defence against a misfiring Ireland team, they scored zero tries. Having said that France didn't look amazing against Wales but crucially they didn't go all "France" and hit the self-destruct button when the going got tough.

On another note, I'd recommend "Slammed" on BBC - excellent 3 parter on Wales rugby team from 1998-2008 and all the politics that went along with it.

Just watched slammed. Thanks for the heads up. Great show although i felt frustrated watching it and reminding myself that an ok welsh team yo yo between grand slams and near wooden spoon seasons but O Sullivans Ireland team for the best part of a decade were consistently very good but didnt win a single championship nevermind a slam
They didn't have the full 15 of the required standard. That took the injection of the Aki element.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2022, 01:52:03 PM

They didn't have the full 15 of the required standard. That took the injection of the Aki element.

They were still unlucky though not to at least win a championship as they were arguably a  better team than Wales and yet had nothing to show for it. Maybe choked a little when it mattered, they certainly gave France far too much respect during those yrs as they had a great record against the English but a terrible one against France

JPGJOHNNYG

Just to highlight how Wales yo yo, here is an up to date all time 6 nations table

ENGLAND W77 D2 L35    7 Championships
Ireland     W75 D3 L36    4 Championships
France      W72 D2 L40    5 Championships
Wales        W63 D3 L48   6 Championships
Scotland    W36 D3 L75
Italy          W12 D1 L101

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 15, 2022, 02:37:18 PM

They were still unlucky though not to at least win a championship as they were arguably a  better team than Wales and yet had nothing to show for it. Maybe choked a little when it mattered, they certainly gave France far too much respect during those yrs as they had a great record against the English but a terrible one against France
Could argue that the programme showed that the yo yo-ing was due to management whereas a very similar set of players, under the right management, were able to hold their own against anyone and win championships. To seafoids point maybe Ireland had the management but just didn't have the depth of quality Wales had around the same time.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2022, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 15, 2022, 02:37:18 PM

Could argue that the programme showed that the yo yo-ing was due to management whereas a very similar set of players, under the right management, were able to hold their own against anyone and win championships. To seafoids point maybe Ireland had the management but just didn't have the depth of quality Wales had around the same time.
psychology as well
Between 00 and 08 Ireland didn't win a 6 nations
After the 2009 Grand Slam Ireland won 4 6 nations.

JPGJOHNNYG

Ffs that Italian guy completely butchered a 2-1. The greed or lack of awareness was unreal. Wales then score

Dire Ear

thewobbler

I don't follow the oval ball so closely these days, but Gibson Park's willingness to go off script makes for a much more entertaining fayre than Murray's "box kick them to death" approach. Yeah it seems to mean more mistakes. But it has to be harder for the serious opponents to stop.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: thewobbler on March 19, 2022, 05:54:49 PM
I don't follow the oval ball so closely these days, but Gibson Park's willingness to go off script makes for a much more entertaining fayre than Murray's "box kick them to death" approach. Yeah it seems to mean more mistakes. But it has to be harder for the serious opponents to stop.

We had maybe one season were the box kicks worked and the wingers were competing for them but for the next umpteen years it was just us giving possession away cheaply

Wildweasel74

We not too hot on it again today, got then pinned in but should tried a few shots at goal on our penalties. Went to the corner a few times and haven't scored and been held up in the tackle a few times.